Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I LOVE my Jake brake. Wouldn't buy a 43,000# rig without one
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin Mike View Post
Ladies and Germs,
Still searching for that elusive perfect used rig. Another question has arisen. It's been brought to my attention that if I'm going to be doing much driving on grades then its a good idea to have an engine brake or exhaust brake. After some reading on the subject, I think I've determined that the engine brake is preferable. But HOW preferable? Will I be able to get by fine with just an exhaust brake even though the engine brake is better? And some EBs have two stages? What does that do? And I read something about the noise of Jake brakes - is that a big issue?
Thanks again!
IMO, whether an engine brake or an exhust brake is "preferable" is in the eye of the beerholder.
Mel
'96 Safari, (144k miles with a PacBrake)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am satisfied with my exhaust brake but only after I modified the activation with my own coasting relay. No driving is comfortable without unexpected interruption .
iRV2 Forums - ladagobago
Old 11-28-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Roamin Mike".....I'll give you what I think is a more practical view of the two. The exhaust brake is designed to basically block the exhaust and give the engine back pressure while at the same time, the Allison transmission is trying to downshift when it can. (The Allison will NOT allow your engine to over rev and damage the engine). If you aren't slowing sufficiently with the exhaust brake, the transmission won't downshift. The coach will continue to gain speed and you'll have to start pumping the foot brakes.

In the old days, the adage that you descend a mountain at the same speed that you climb doesn't really apply anymore. The modern diesels have much more power than before. My previous coach with an ISL 400, towing my 6K Silverado, could climb ANY grade on the west coast at 55+ mph. Even though it climbed well, the exhaust brake was not powerful enough to hold it back going downhill unless I was going really slow. My exhaust brake worked okay, but I typically had to drop below 44 mph to get into 3rd gear for the (exhaust brake) and trans to hold me at that speed. Anything above that, my coach would gain speed and required I stab the brakes often. This may sound okay, but I was getting run over by trucks and other RV's.

The exhaust brake worked fairly well when not towing and would have been better with a lighter toad. The only issue is that the exhaust brake is either ON or OFF. There is no adjustment for speed. This meant I did a lot of work while descending mountains to keep the coach at a reasonable and steady speed.

When I bought my new coach, an engine brake was a must have. My new coach is larger and heavier and I'm still towing my 6K truck. Now when I descend a grade, I can maintain 55-60 mph by using the two speed engine brake. Having two speeds really lets me descend at a faster speed without having to use the foot brakes. Anything under a 5% grade, I can usually maintain my speed using the engine brake on LOW. Above that, I have to use HIGH. A nice feature on my new coach, is that the cruise control will remain on and apply the engine brake to keep me within 3-5 mph of my set speed. I now just descend while the coach does all the work.

Soooo....with all that said, engine brakes typically become available as you move up the food chain of RV's. You're budget and RV choice will determine if you have an exhaust brake or engine brake. If you don't intend to tow, or plan on towing something lightweight, the exhaust brake might work fine for you. If you intend to do a lot of mountain driving and towing a medium to heavy toad, you'll want the engine brake if it's in your budget.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake