Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Test; Drop to 3rd gear at about 35_40 on a good grade, turn brake switch off and on your should in a very few seconds feel a slowing or more hold back braking if it is working. Think I have same MH you have and I use this method on longer grades at higher speeds to keep speed up on not too steep grades so I don't use the service brakes.

LEN

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
U DA MAN!!! Thanks

All info available if you just Google it.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Your coach looks like a year 2000 or 2001. I'm almost positive it has a PAC Brake (exhaust brake).

The last two coaches I owned had them and we found them seized. The last coach, my mechanic was able to remove it, soak it in penetrating oil for a day and used an air hammer to free the butterfly valve. This coach was seized up and an atom bomb couldn't free it and I had to replace it. You can find them on line for about $700.

I'm pretty positive this is your issue as it is the most common problem with these exhaust brakes. Some diagnostics mentioned above will narrow it down.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #18

If you have the air powered exhaust brake, there is also a very simple and small part that fails. In the air line system, is a very thin nut that can be removed, and inside the Humphrey valve is a small black seal, like a little finger cap.

Humphrey Repair Kit for SQE1/SQE2 (SRKSQE) | Cleaner's Supply

This is a $ 7.95 part, plus shipping.

If you trigger the solenoid with a small hand held 12 volt battery and the air valve does not try to move the shaft the little rubber seal is damaged. Buy two, they are cheap. I found this out, when talking to my campground neighbor, after we were talking about the big long hill coming into town. We used our service brakes, he used his exhaust brake and showed me the problem. It took 1 minute to test, and 4 minutes to repair.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
If you have the air powered exhaust brake, there is also a very simple and small part that fails. In the air line system, is a very thin nut that can be removed, and inside the Humphrey valve is a small black seal, like a little finger cap.

If you trigger the solenoid with a small hand held 12 volt battery and the air valve does not try to move the shaft the little rubber seal is damaged. Buy two, they are cheap. I found this out, when talking to my campground neighbor, after we were talking about the big long hill coming into town. We used our service brakes, he used his exhaust brake and showed me the problem. It took 1 minute to test, and 4 minutes to repair.

Can you put up a picture of this valve, please?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
If you have not tried it already, turn off your cruise control. Some exhaust brakes will not work with it on.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:20 PM   #21

I have sold that coach. To find it on your coach, look at the exhaust system pipes, downsteam of the turbo. There will be a inserted clamped into the line Pacbrake unit. On top of the unit is the arm that moves the butterfly valve, and just follow that back past the piston, follow the airline to the Humphrey Valve. The Humphrey valve will have an airline input, and two wires hooked up the 12 volt solenoid. The valve is maybe 3" long. Here is a link to what it should look like sort of.

QE2, QE3, QE4, QE5 Quick Exhaust Valve Series | Humphrey Products Company

Mine had the thin 1/8" surface to grab with a wrench large nut end, that unscrewed and the bad torn seal was inside. The link is to a Humphrey valve, not maybe the one on your coach. I did all this in March of 11, and have slept since then.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
thanks for the input I'll give it a good see and test what I can, I'll try to take a few pics.

What I don't follow is if the butterfly shaft is frozen, why a good machine shop can't get it out with an hydraulic press, or for that matter drill it out.

Since this is a low mileage 2000 it is most likely seized.

If I find that, I'll call the company and see what they say, can't see spending $700 just for a seized shaft.
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
ok, got a pry bar the butterfly moves easy.

Don't see any wires, need to get under and see where the airline goes from the push cylinder next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1437.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	70378   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1438.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	70379  

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #24

Great photos, and now try to follow that air line to the valve that is sending air to the cylinder. Hopefully it is a bad cheap seal, found by unscrewing the thin shoulded nut. If the seal is not damaged, then the other info might lead you to a relay or electrical part somewhere else.

On the Pacbrake site is shown the correct oil that is to be used on the moving parts that you can see.

Good that the butterfly moves. The way mine was wired, sitting in the driver's seat I could hear the piston work, when I played with the switch. If not, use any 12 volt power source you can find to try and trigger the control valve.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #25

Exhaust brake didn't work on mine either. Broken wire between dash switch and solenoid. Replaced wire and works great now. I agree with sailwing2003, you should be able to hear the exhaust noise change pitch when you turn the switch on if you have the air built up and there is power to the solenoid.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
sailwing

I too had the diaphragm in the "Humphrey quick release valve", (on my PacBrake air cylinder), fail.
A new "Humphrey valve" is $15-$16: Humphrey 1/4 Quick Exhaust Valve (SQE-2) | Cleaner's Supply
and/or: SQE2 Humphrey 1/4" Super Quick Exhaust Valve | MRO Stop - Industrial Supply + Technology
As you say, a "replacement diaphragm" is only $7.95: Humphrey Repair Kit for SQE1/SQE2 (SRKSQE) | Cleaner's Supply.
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
Old 08-31-2014, 09:47 AM   #27

Check you exhaust manifold for a crack....

Tags
brake