Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

JB Weld fixed it!

So, what have you been able to repair on your coach permanently or temporarily with JB Weld?

I've patched a plastic Freightliner coolant recovery tank, used it to repair a screw anchor for the awning lock mechanism (otherwise the darn awning would have come loose on the 12-hr drive home). Life on the road would be a lot harder without JB Weld.

I'm an LEO Colt armorer and I have colleagues who commonly use JB Weld on sniper rifles to fill voids in bolt faces to improve accuracy and to fill in the voids under scope rings to increase the mating surface with the scope. If it can be used on a .308 bolt face I can't imagine a place that it couldn't take the pressure!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have been firm believer in JB Weld for a lot of years now. It is amazing at the number of things that can be permanently fixed with JB Weld.

Ken

Old 07-19-2009, 03:29 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I must get a "crash course" from one of you guys some day. I must be doing something wrong somewhere. I have used JB Weld 3 or 4 times

I mix it up as per the instruction. Take 2 small pieces of metal and glue them together. Let it sit for a couple of days and then I can brake the joint by hand (no - I am not related to Superman). Surfaces are clean and degreased but it still comes apart fairly easy.

Wonder if the product that I bought is faulty?

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:40 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Repaired top of cylinder that was cracked in a Toyota engine for an old pick up truck I once had. I was amazed that it held up and stopped the engine from blowing head gaskets.Used it on lots of small jobs. I had to make a new worm gear mate for a 15' "C" band satellite dish that was stripped out. Greased up the worm gear. mixed up the JB weld and compressed it around the gear. Let it set up and worked the out side to fit the holding bracket. Worked great!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have never had any luck trying to stick two pieces of metal together. I did repair the cracked intake manifold on an old Johnson outboard. ground out the crack, degreased, packed in the JB Weld and let it set for a day. Took a file and sand paper to smooth the gasket surface. I used the motor several years and sold it with the repair still holding.

It has it's uses and there are things it will not work on. I do keep it on the RV....just in case duct tape won't work.

Ken
Old 07-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the info guys,I was wondering if that "stuff" was good.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just repaired a cracked gas tank on my riding lawnmower that had been leaking for some time. I hope it will setup "hardened" by this afternoon. 10 hrs. I've used it so many times I can't remember all the siituations. W

Wait'll Don hears this, he'll throw his duct tape away. Can't you see it now Ken, glob of JB Weld holding his fender on???
Old 07-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #8

Another good epoxy is Marine Tex. I've used it to patch holes in car batteries and even an automotive gas tank.

Steve
Old 07-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jim, Don will never give up the duct tape. I think he has stock in the company.

Ken
Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I must get a "crash course" from one of you guys some day. I must be doing something wrong somewhere. I have used JB Weld 3 or 4 times

I mix it up as per the instruction. Take 2 small pieces of metal and glue them together. Let it sit for a couple of days and then I can brake the joint by hand (no - I am not related to Superman). Surfaces are clean and degreased but it still comes apart fairly easy.

Wonder if the product that I bought is faulty?
r u using the regular or the quick cure jb weld? imoh the regular works better. you must mix the 2 parts equal parts and use a separate stick for mixing and applying. it helps to sand or roughen up the surfaces also.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:
It's not just you! I've posted a similar message before saying pretty much what you did. I have had horrible luck with a couple of their products. The "JB Quick" and the regular JB. None of them worked very well for me even for the most mundane of repairs. I've resorted to using regular 2 part epoxies with much better results.

Chris
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote