Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2011, 03:26 AM   #15

We tow a 2010 Wrangler Sport, with the German 6 speed manual transmission.

Instructions say to put trany in 4th, transfer case in neutral.

Use the Blue-Ox baseplate. All seems to work great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If you are doing serious off-roading the baseplate gets in the way. But, if you aren't crawling over rocks and don't need or want a winch and bumper then the baseplate is a less expensive alternative. One nice thing is that the Blue Ox baseplate now has removeable tabs, which is a big help when going off-road. My last Jeep had the baseplate biut it had fixed tabs and I was always watching so that they wouldn't get bent.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So to be clear, and because I am brand new to all of this...
I have a 2011 Jeep Rubicon Call of Duty edition, auto transmission. I should put the gear shift in park and the transfer case in Neutral? so then I do not need to leave the key in the ignition? that is great as I have been towing it with both the gear shift and the transfer case in neutral requiring me to leave in the key and draining the battery.
What a difference this will make, and I was doing it the way I was based on information received from another source.

Thanks!!!!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

That is correct - park (tranny), neutral (xfer case), and no key needed in a 2011.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #19

kandb3293/Cruzer. What no steering wheel lock ???
Old 09-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Not for the last few years. I forget exactly which year the eliminated it.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I believe 2008, but...

Just cause u read it on the net don't mean it has to be true.
Loook up "recreational towing" in your cars owners manual.

Except in a few cases where they took a few years to update, this is where the truth will be found.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #22

Our 2010 Wrangler, no steering wheel lock, no key needed to tow. Plus two 12v sockets, one always on, again so no key needed, to power the Brake Buddy.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just returned from an 1100 mile trip thru the smokies towing our 2010 Wrangler automatic. Never used the key. Just hook up tow bar, plug in light connection, put the transfer case in neutral, tansmission in park, and drive away. The supplemental braking system for the toad is the ReadyBrake system that uses no electrical from the toad or the MH. For us...perfection.

Chuck
Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Thanks for the link. They look like quality products for sure. Just a little to rich for my blood. $550 for a shorty bumper, $900 for a full width. VS $350 for a blue ox baseplate.
We use Roadmaster baseplates, but if we'd known about this style bumper at the time we would have definately considered it. Since the towbar attachments are on the face of the bumper it raises the connection height and makes the towbar closer to level.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I believe 2008, but...

Except in a few cases where they took a few years to update, this is where the truth will be found.
2009+ and as of 2011 the owners manual still talks about having the key in even though it's not needed. Not sure about the 12s yet.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashdriver View Post
2009+ and as of 2011 the owners manual still talks about having the key in even though it's not needed. Not sure about the 12s yet.
I have to agree with dashdriver that all owners manuals are not created equal. When we bought our motorhome the manual said the clock was attached to the wall with "industrial strength" velcro. The procedure for removing it was to "place your hands behind the clock at 3:00 and 9:00 and tug briskly". I did just that only to find the clock was held to the wall with 3 screws. Fortunately they were small screws and there was no serious damage.

When I called the factory and asked "What Gives?" I was told that was a carryover from the previous model year that didn't get corrected in the new manual. The clock is now reattached to the wall with 3 wall anchors. When I want to set it all I have to do is turn it 90* counter clockwise to unlock it from the base to remove it from the wall.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I believe 2008, but...

For anyone out there testing there own unit for a steering lock; Jack up the front end and turn the steering wheel slowly;KEY OUT OF IGNITION; from steering stop left and back to the steering stop on the right. My last 2 mopars would only lock with the wheel 180 degrees from straight ahead.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #28

I would make the auto/manual decision based on what you intend to do with the Jeep, not based on towing. All of the real Jeeps, TJ's, YJs, and CJ's tow very nicely. CJ's with the Dana 300 and some YJ's have distance restrictions but they are easy to overcome.

If you're doing a lot of off road slow speed 4-wheel low traveling then my choice is a manual. You can get more downhill slow speed engine braking and you get better speed control in a manual. My last auto in most slow speed 4wd situations I had to constantly ride the brakes to keep the crawl speed down to maintain the "bouncing" to a reasonable level. For slow speed off- roading you cant beat a manual with a 66-to-1 or higher crawl ratio. Low gearing like a 66:1 crawl ratio combined with a reasonable overdrive (0.7:1 or so) will also allow your Jeep to perform nicely at 65-70MPH highway speeds.

If you're buying the Jeep for looks and city driving.. and rarely will go into the back country where you need slow speed control.. and don't mind the significantly lower fuel mileage and performance.. then go with the auto.

Tags
manual