Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jensen AWM970

Hi, my name is Moe and this is my first thread. My wife Jean and I bought a new MH which is a 2011 Winnebago Sightseer 31E. It has a Jensen AWM970 radio which apparently is out dated. My problem is trying to find a music source that will play on it. I bought the optional cord from Jensen to play my i-pod classic through it but cannot find a place to plug it in in the back of the radio. The radio diagram shows it as having a pigtail with a din female plug. The cord from Jensen is a male din to i-pod plug. Some information I have found on the internet states that it plugs into the head unit. I have felt all the way around the radio but cannot feel a female din. If such a thing exists I need specific information as to where it exists. An actual picture would be even better. I have tried everything that can possibly plug into the usb slot and nothing works.
Help, Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:28 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Welcome to the forum... Is the unit under warranty. I would have your dealer show you how it works. If you are the second owner, the first could have removed the OME and installed an old one. Post your question on this forum you may get more help...
RV Systems & Appliances - iRV2 Forums Peace and Safe Travels ... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:27 AM   #3

Unfortunantly Winnebago has not posted all of the wiring documentation for your rig however this may help you resolve your issue:

The wiring on the rear of the Jensen Radio is on page 4 of the Jensen Manual: http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...17z0Qr1WDI0aKw
Please note that you should also be able to use the front AUX input or USB interface as described on page 5 of the manual.

Winnebago presents wiring information for different rigs in many of their drawings. For your rig, use the "Series D" key.

Winnebago interface to your radio is on pdf page 6 (sheet 6) of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_174637.pdf
Unfortunantly, Winnebago does not have the "IP Main" drawing posted (Body, 12 Volt wiring diagram). You need that to figure out how the speaker wiring is routed to the external audio distribution. Might try contacting them for it. Speaker audio is distributed over the 4 pin and 12 pin plugs shown in the jensen manual and page 6 of this drawing.

Additional information (mostly for DVD output from the Jensen) is located on pdf page 7 (sheet 6) of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_175930.pdf
Dash radio is located at bottom at location A-4. You have to "know" what options you have installed in your rig to connect all the paths on that drawing. The option
"key" is on the bottom right of that page. You have to set components in the path to the correct position to use it.

The primary winnebago wiring diagram TOC page is Table of Contents

Hope that helps to some degree,
Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
AWM970 radio

I am the first owner of my 2011 Winnebago Sightseer, bought one month ago, with the Jensen radio. I have the owners manual for the radio and the connection drawing for the radio clearly shows a pigtail for an IPOD connection. I talked to a Tech at Jensen and they told me I needed an optional cord to plug into the pigtail at the back of the radio and then into the IPOD. By the way only the outdated IPODS will work with this radio if you have the connection at the back for them and those IPODs are no longer available. After 27 years with the military in electronics, looking for a din connection at the back of this radio is a no brainer. IT IS NOT THERE. I phoned Jensen and told them this and this time their explanation was, some radio's had it others didn't. He said he would transfer me to Customer Serve so I could return the cable I bought from them. I said forget it.
I contacted Tech services at Winnebago and they sent me a copy of the connection diagram for the back of the radio. I e-mailed them and asked why they were installing outdated sound systems from Jensen in there motor homes and haven't heard back from them. I don't expect to. Winnebago has a bar code system for parts that are installed in their units to simplify production. What happened to the bar code on this radio when it was installed in my unit, or was it same bar code but modified radio. The sound system in your motor home is a very important part of the unit and gives pleasure whether driving down the road or parked at a campsite. I am disappointed with both Jensen and Winnebago. Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't blame Moe for being disappointed. He bought a new coach and got a end of series radio. Is that the way they are built? Get components at a fire sale and install them in a "new" motorhome? The manufacturer should make it good. IMHO.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #6

Winnebago started using that radio 2009 Sightseer 31E model so not likely a fire sale. I suspect they bought a large number of them. Unfortunantly, electronics typically only have a 3 year life span. Additionally, design of a coach would have to start at least a year before initial release date. 2011 would have been released in say September of 2010. It would not be easy for Winnebago to change design in the middle of a run. A new radio could drive lots of changes. Not defending them, just staing facts but that still does not make things easier.

I take it you purchased this cale from Jensen to fit the rear 8 pin mini din connector: JIPDCBL12B - JENSEN 12' Long Black iPod Interface Cable

A possible solution to your problem:
The audio output from the 42" Vizio TV can be platyed thrugh the AUX 1 input of the Jensen Radio. You could install an A/B selector box in that path. A input would be the existing TV R/L audio. B inbur would be your ipod output using a A/V Ipod adaptor cable. Output of the A/B selector would go to the Jensen AUX 1 input.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote