Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 08:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Journey 32T with 5.9 Cummins died on interstate

Heading down the interstate when my "check engine" light came on and a few seconds later the engine stopped. I coasted to the shoulder. I turned the key off, waited a few minutes and then turned the ignition back on. I waited while all of the lights completed their usual gyrations and after the "wait to start" light went off I turned to start position. Nothing. My wife said she could hear some kind of squeal when in the start position. I can't hear high frequencies. I turned it off and went through the same routine and still no response from the starter. Good Sam called for a wrecker and when he tried to get his gear under the front he said he wished he had a couple more inches of clearance. I told him I would raise it with the jacks. I turned the key to accessory position, turned the jack panel on (which did light up) but no jacks. Also the step would not go in. Towed it to Cummins where they had to lower the front wheels down on blocks to get the tow gear out. We couldn't push it off so I decided just for grins I would try to start it. It did. It ran for about 30 seconds then the check engine light came on and it died. The next morning when they came out to take it into the shop it started, he drove it into the shop, and let it idle all while he was checking the computer codes. The codes had been zeroed out and they haven't been able to find a problem. Has anyone had anything like this happen? I know it will do it again, I just wonder what winding mountain road I will be on when it dies again. Don't think it's too good on the turbo to shut down like that. I would sure appreciate any input. Thank you, Gene.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 08:29 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
I would ask for an explanation as why there are no codes.Usually the problem must be fixed before a tech can delete the code. Sounds like some type of electrical problem. The old days OBD1 you could get rid of the code or light by disconnecting the battery.MHO of course.You didn't specify the year.

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the input Mike. You're right, I neglected to say that it is a 2001. The tech said something about there was no "footprint" on the ECM. I understood him to mean the codes were not there.
Old 10-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Journey32....My guess from your info is that you had an electrical issue where you loss battery power,, like a bad cable. If that occurred, loss of 12 volt power, you could easily lose the codes because the ECM was disconnected.

I would look very carefully at your engine batteries, cables and any solenoids.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #5

Ignition switch
Old 10-08-2014, 10:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
With the loss of 12 volt power there maybe no code to look at. Just like turning the ign. switch to off. Like Don said look to the 12 volt side, start batteries, switch, or relay as well as all connections. With no jacks and no step this points to either side of the system + or -.

LEN
Old 10-09-2014, 07:44 PM   #7

"Check engine light came on", "no footprint on the ECM", "maybe no code to look at", lots of conjecture here but no one is actually saying there is no fault code set.

Why don't you look for the fault code yourself? You can read the fault code off the console display by counting the number of flashes if the code is still active. I can tell you how to do that if you're interested. Been there, done that, and I too have a 2001 Cummins ISB 5.9L engine. The thing is, the fault code has to be active to be displayed.

I had an intermittent engine fault light (yellow) that would came on for awhile and then shut off. If I shut the engine off and read the fault code when the engine fault light was off, I didn't see a code. So I waited until the engine fault light turned on and then I shut the engine off and I was then able to read the code off the console display. It turned out to be a bad speed sensor signal (code 115). I replaced the speed sensor and the problem was solved.
rsalhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all of the input

Cummins in Boise, ID found that I had a bad lift pump. I am having a hard time understanding why that would open the 12v to the starter, jacks and step. I just put on 150 miles and it ran good. I really believe there are (were) two different problems. I think the voltage thing is just waiting to pounce on me again at some point in time.
The ignition switch suggestion was a good one. I will keep that in mind if it happens again.
And to rsalhus, Thank you for your feedback and I would love to know how to read the codes. Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #9

OK, to read the fault codes from the driver's console on an older Cummins ISB engine, turn the ignition key to ON and wait for all the lights and gauges to initialize. Then press the accelerator pedal to the floor 3 times within 5 seconds. If there are no active fault codes, both the (yellow) Engine Warning light and the (red) Engine Stop light will stay on solid.

If there are one or more active fault codes stored by the ECM, the (yellow) Check Engine lamp will flash. Then the (red) Stop Engine light will flash the 3-digit number in sequence. There will be a short one or two second pause between each digit of the 3-digit fault code.

When the fault code has finished flashing, the yellow light will appear again. Each 3-digit fault code will be repeated twice. Then the next fault code will be flashed. I believe all of the active fault codes will repeat over and over in sequence allowing you to verify each fault code.

rsalhus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, journey