Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
Journey mileage towing and not

We had a mishap on I/295E in Jacksonville, FL, and could not pull the toad home. The Journey has a 2007 compliant (no DEF) ISC 8.3 Cummins. The toad is a 2011 Sierra crew with a golf cart in the bed and the back seat loaded; I'm guessing 6600-6700 pounds.
We used the same truck stops for fuel. The two previous years the miles were 1244 and 1242. this year 1246... pretty close.
The two years with the toad, loaded the same way, mileage was 7.2 MPG; this year 8.4 MPG.
This is by pencil and paper, not the display.
By it's display the truck got 17.4 MPG with the cart, in the bed, when usually on the highway under 65 MPH it would get 21 or 22.
After the body shop examines the damage I'll explain the mishap!

Jeanie, Ed & Slade the GSD
Cape Cod, MA
2011 Jounrey 40L & Sierra Crew
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Weight should not be a large factor becasue it is rolling on its own suspension and that area is largely flat. But a big truck usually has beefy tires and a lot of rolling resistance, plus the golf cart in the back contributes to wind resistance. I'm surprised the difference is as great as you report, but not surprised it it was a noticeable difference.

My 5000 lb GMC Acadia makes only a small difference, maybe 0.25 mpg.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Cousin Ed,
First, we tow the exact same truck. An '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 which, on the scales, tips them right at 5300 with a full fuel tank. Then, we haul an '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing, very, very close to 900 lbs on a, Rampage lift which, I have not weighed but I suspect it's very close to 275 or so. So, all in all, we too are dragging right close to 6,500 lbs.

Our coach, is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with an ACERT C-7 330HP CAT. If you get anything over 7.5 mpg, I commend you. I'm really, really lucky if mine EVER goes over that figure, towing or not. I'm no hot rodder, how can you be with 27,000 lbs. of coach and, 6,500 lbs. worth of toad?

When we purchased that coach, we lived in San Diego. We picked up the coach in Reno NV. We had no toad and, nothing was in any compartment, inside or outside the coach. I use cruise control about every inch I can so, the coach drove itself for almost 547 miles at, a whopping 62 mph. You know what I got? I got the tremendous mileage of, 7.5 mpg.

When the coach is fully loaded, fuel, water, tools, chairs, and a few thousand things more, both of us and, the queen, a little Schnauzer, and towing the truck with the Wing in it, I get SEVEN POINT FIVE MILES PER GALLON!! And, again, it's at the lightning speed of, 62 mph.

Now, speaking of your truck. I'm assuming it's the 5.3L engine. Again, ours too is the same engine. If I'm really, really lucky and, I keep it real close to 55, I might, JUST MIGHT squeak out of it, a whopping 18 mpg. It's never in it's life, got the mileage that the specs call for. And, yes, I keep the tire pressure up to par and all that. And, on trips back to San Diego from our present home here in Lake Havasu City AZ, that truck is normally driven at about 65-70. That speed range allows it to come in at the phenomenal mileage of about 13-14. And it's not carrying the Wing!!!!
2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
we are towing a GMC 1500 extended cab with a RZR in the rear . this is towed by our 2001 40' American Eagle with the 8.9 Cummins. I drive also at the blistering speed of 62 miles per hr. Our mileage on average....8 pmg.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
The Cats are no different. My 3126 gets 7.5 with the Harley Streetglide on the Overbilt lift and the CAddy behind. The same as you, I generally travel just under 65 mph.
Tiffin Phaeton 40rh
2016 HD Street Glide
Bill1374 is offline   Reply With Quote

journey, tow, towing