Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Jump starting a 2011 Winnebago Journey

Went to start my RV yeasterday and it was dead. Disconnected the battery from unit charged batteries. After charging was able to start generator and ran it several hours. I was still not able to start unit. How an I jump start it?
Leo McCloske is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
typically, the generator will not charge your chassis battery and it sounds like you charged the house batteries.

(If you charged the chassis battery then stop reading here.)

However most rigs have a "boost" switch that uses your house battery to "boost" or jump the engine battery.

With your generator running and the boost switch held on, you will get the maximum boost.

If your rig does not have the boost switch, run a jumper cable from the positive post of your house battery to the positive post of your chassis battery.

Then start the generator and either charge the chassis battery or jump the chassis battery.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Leo McCloske,
Your going to need one heck of a big booster battery setup to jump start the engine. Not sure if fast or cheap is what you need. If fast is what is needed and you have roadside assistance, call them. You can charge them with a portable battery charger. Consider not putting more than a 20 AMP charger on the batteries. It will take a day or two to get them full. Slow charging batteries is best. A 20 AMP charger is somewhere in the middle of between slow and fast.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your boost switch on the dash is generally called a MOM switch. It connects the house batteries and chassis batteries together for just this senerio
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo McCloske View Post
Went to start my RV yeasterday and it was dead. Disconnected the battery from unit charged batteries. After charging was able to start generator and ran it several hours. I was still not able to start unit. How an I jump start it?
Mine wouldn't start last Friday-it had been in storage all winter. I used jumper cables from my jeep to the MH chassis battery. Started right up. Got it home and have tested all batteries. All batteries failed testing. Now I am shopping for two new house batteries and a new chassis battery. Our MH was built in Feb 2010 so they lasted five years.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:52 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
It would be interesting to know if you keep your motor home plugged in while its in storage. If so, your inverter should be keeping your batteries trickled charged during long storage periods. If not then I would suggest starting both your coach and generator periodically when stored. I think this will help prolong your battery life. Just my 2 cents.
Longweekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longweekends View Post
It would be interesting to know if you keep your motor home plugged in while its in storage. If so, your inverter should be keeping your batteries trickled charged during long storage periods. If not then I would suggest starting both your coach and generator periodically when stored. I think this will help prolong your battery life. Just my 2 cents.
Not all coaches the inverter charges the chassis battery when plugged into shore power. My tiffin allegro bus does not do that. I have a seperate trickle charger for the chassis batteries.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #8

When I drove big trucks and they would not start, they hooked jumper battery negative to frame of the truck and then hook positive to the back of the alternator on the large lug. This would by pass the dead battery and allow us to start the rig. It did not do any damage to the ecm.

Tags
journey, winnebago