Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2014, 11:20 PM   #1

Jumping in cluelessly

Okay, we've made a deposit on a 1994 Europremier 37' DP located at a dealership in GA. We are NEW, totally. Never owned a MH, much less a DP. We must drive about 3.5 hours to get the unit. We've never driven and MH, and my wife is nervous that we might have to pull our automobile home behind something we've never driven before.

I've downloaded a "purchase check list", but haven't read over it yet. Who can give me suggestions as to how to begin an inspection process?

Our unit has a 300hp Cummins and an Onan 7.5kw generator. How can I know that I'm not buying a lemon?

Thanks to all who will respond. What a great forum!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #2

Well..................I can't say I've never said "Damn the Torpedoes, we're goin' in!"
Do you have any info, links, history on the coach you can share here. Please understand any input I give you should be taken as campfire chatter and without seeing it or more, we can't really help. That being said, we might give you some things to look for. Give us the link or pic.

kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You probably won't know if you have bought a lemon until after you get it home and had an opportunity to take on a number of trips, shorter then longer.

Was the RV inspected before purchase, did you look at, drive, etc. If not did someone else??? If not you are taking a leap of faith but that's not a deal breaker.

Are any maintenance records available to show it was taken care of. Are all the manuals available. Below is jus the bare necessity to make sure you get it home safely.

Make sure engine has been serviced, check oil, belts, coolant. Get extra belts and fuel filters. Check fluid level in transmission and how it operates as far as shifting.

Check the air pressure in tires & the date codes. Look for excessive weather checking/cracking. ASAP invest in a wireless pressure monitoring system, might be worth it before you drive it home.

Check the generator oil and coolant if applicable. Make sure it starts, runs and provides power to the coach.

Check both Dash & roof AC's, need at least 1 running in case it warm out.

Have the seller do a complete walkthrough and have them show you how each component works & what each switch/button/gauge is for. Both you and your wife should take detailed notes and compare/combine later.

I would be hesitant to pull a car on the first trip until you know the RV is safe, road worthy, and you are familiar with driving it. You need to check towing capacity of RV as far as weight and then the car will have to be rigged to tow. You will have to have brakes on the vehicle, tow dolly, or trailer.

Once you get it home I would spend time crawling under, over, through the entire coach to learn about it. Do a complete maintenance regime unless you are 100% confident it has been done. Oil, Filters, Grease, Belts etc.

We bought a used DP about 6 years ago after owing a Class C for +10 years. WE got lucky, it was a well maintained coach. Yes we have had problems but overall it has lived up to our expectations.

Good Luck.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Drive the rig before buying it.

Let wife drive the car home rather than towing since your car is probably not set up for towing?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once everything checks out OK, go ahead and drive it home with the wife driving the other vehicle. Go slow at first, the speed will come as you travel down the highway. How far do you have to go? If it is just through town make sure you plan all turns, wait for traffic to clear if you need to. Again, take your time, you will get used to it quickly enough.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #6

On top of all the mechanical issues a few indoor things to check: around the base of the toilet. A coach that old can have leak issues at the base gasket that will cause the floor to soften and rot. Not to mention smell. It's a pretty major job to take out the flooring then cut out all the rot back to good wood the replace it all including the flooring. I did mine myself and having someone else do it would be a major expense. Condition of the frig. Has it been replaced or a least had the safety recall mod done. (If it's a Nocold). You didn't mention any slides. If it does have a slide out check the drive motor for mounting and operation. Check inverter for proper operation as well as age and condition of the coach batteries. Check the heater and water heater for condition and operation. Check the dash a/c for operation. Check the levelers for proper operation. While none of these things are deal breakers. The cost of repairs can add up quickly and at todays shop rates unless your handy and can do a lot yourself it can be a real Eye opener.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we were taking delivery of our present rig there was a man and wife taking delivery of their new rig. Full 41' towing their Cadillac. He had never driven a MH nor towed anything. I've always wondered how he did?

Friend got a new to them 45' MH, at least his third unit. In less than a year he's had two BIG claims: backed into a city owned light post ($3,500 bill for the post alone), no idea how much the RV damage was other then he said "it was expensive". Last trip out he hit a protective pole and it looks to me to be about $10,000- $12,000 in damage! I told him when he got the rig I'd be interested in buying it, but now I'm not so sure!!
So, bad things can and do happen to even experienced drivers.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Drive the rig before buying it.

Let wife drive the car home rather than towing since your car is probably not set up for towing?
Yep, that's one option.
For us it's not an option, wife can't drive due to major health issues so we'd have to figure out something different.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #9

I think I found your coach online and I think it looks great. If it were me I wouldn't be afraid to tow as long as the hitch looks ok. Drive a few miles and stop and check it again. New and old rv's all have some issues. Check the oil and tire pressure and hit the road. There are some videos on tire blow outs in rv's. Basically if you get a flat tire, fight the urge to hit the brakes. Continue driving and slow and move over when it's safe to do so. Use youtube and forums like this to help you fix the things that need fixed. You'll soon be camping in style and sometimes even in your own driveway. Way cool!

Of course if you haven't given them the money and you have 600 bucks to give an inspector I would highly recomend that. We just took our chances because we found a class C for 10,000. When we buy our "final" class A I'll be paying for the inspection.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #10

FWIW - I might plan on a day at the dealership. Unless you are driving up from southern Florida the unit needs to be winterized. I would be after the dealer to do a walk through with the unit part loaded with water so you can see everything work then winterize the unit at least while you wait and preferably with you watching. Dealers have dump stations, water and propane as they need it for their own use. You want the unit full with propane and empty of everything else when you leave.

When you get home I would be tempted to try living in it as a boondocking expedition in the driveway for a night. You will learn a lot with an easy way to bail out. If you bucket flush with some RV antifreeze and do not fill the water tank you can do a lot with a little water. As far as that goes when I tent camped gray water went on the ground. ;-)

The reason I said boondocking or dry camping is that you probably do not have 50 A service for your new MH set up at the house but you can and should get an adapter to run your 50 A service off a normal 120 V 15 A plug. That will charge your batteries in a reasonable time but will not run the unit the way it works with a full power connection. One of the learning curve items is power management. ;-)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM   #11

My single greatest piece of advice I can give is the following.. Especially when buying something so old..

Besides all the great advice you have been given above... ask this simple question... When was the last time it was taken on a trip and actually camped in?

It may not seem a big deal.. but it will give you A TON of insight as to all the other items mentioned in previous responses... That is an old unit.. heck, it would be an old car.. not to mention an old chassis with a house on top of it.. lots of problems can arise from lack of use.. I would hate for you to jump into this wonderful pastime/hobby/way of life and get stuck with lemons..

As my bookie once said... even the lock on your front door isn't a "for sure"..

Good luck and keep us posted... we LOVE pictures !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #12

O wow your model year came with a big red button ... DONT push it

it makes parts fall off

jking aside if you are new to air brakes and i am sure you are going to be on I75 or some thing on your way home dont over use the brakes like you would in a car

fall back like the big trucks do and just keep it moving

if you want to stay behind a big truck when you run in to bumper to bumper

over working the brakes can make you run low on air and lock the MH down in the road intell you have air again
Old 11-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think that you might be a little over your head taking this DP on a 200+ mile trip without any experience driving one unless you are an experienced truck driver. I've owned 4 gas class A's, in the last 15 years, the current one 37'. I think that I would check locally and find someone with experience and pay them to make the trip with you, and drive it back. Also some Cat dealers, if that's the engine that you have, have instructional classes to give you some info about your MH. You'll really enjoy traveling in a motorhome. I'm leaving for S. Texas next week to get away from the white stuff. Enjoy the moment while you can. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #14

1994 Europremier 37, Ringgold GA - 113492687 - RVTrader.com

Is this the rig your are looking to purchase?

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote