Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #1

Just about ready, need your support.

Just about ready to jump in to a Class A. Looking for some support/comments. DW says we should do it, so that is not the issue. We can afford it. Reputable dealer.

2011 Newmar Ventana 3434. 22K miles, well equipped (In-motion sat., Hydronic diesel heat, MCD Shades, HAB w/ air, etc.), 4 year extended service contract. All in all, a pretty nice unit.

Purchase price $144,000.

Good deal???? AAARRRGH! I'm just indecisive.

Thanks for your thoughts.
retdep018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by retdep018 View Post
Just about ready to jump in to a Class A. Looking for some support/comments. DW says we should do it, so that is not the issue. We can afford it. Reputable dealer.

2011 Newmar Ventana 3434. 22K miles, well equipped (In-motion sat., Hydronic diesel heat, MCD Shades, HAB w/ air, etc.), 4 year extended service contract. All in all, a pretty nice unit.

Purchase price $144,000.

Well it wasn't a class A but i had a 40ft newmar mountain aire 5th wheel
thing was beautiful . Reason I traded for my class A was so we didnt have to get out in weather and walk back to the 5th wheel rain or shine thats what we did tired of wife stumbling down stairs at night out of the bedroom i got tired of hooking and unhooking the truck. Now we can just stop and walk back and get some shut eye.If the wife needs to use bathroom she can just quickly get up and go which is all the time. Theres alot of advantages just matters on what you prefer.Newmars stay up there in price a little more so also. Good outfits. Good luck on decision sounds like nice setup.
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #3

My thinking on this problem (buying a first motorhome) is really pretty simple. You can do all the research in the world, but until you actually have one, have lived in it, driven it extensively, hooked it up many time, etc., you won't really know what you like and what you don't.
Now we love the lifestyle, and wouldn't want to travel any other way. As I tell people (non-RVers) the best part is that we know who slept in our bed last night!
So, since you can afford it, go for it. Newmar is a reputable company who builds a solid unit.
Be interesting to hear your report after your first long trip.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Purchase price $144,000.

You have to pick the unit that is best for YOU and the type of traveling you plan to do. If this is the one----go for it!!!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
CBQ

That seems like a reasonable price for a late model diesel pusher. A new Newmar gas coach will be around that price range, but diesel will add 70-100k to the cost. Expect a new coach to lose about 30% of it's value in the first year - so the asking price would seem about right for a 2011. Make sure you like the floorplan, and then go for it. As others have noted, Newmar is one of the higher quality coach builders out there.
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #6

We're in the same lake as you...just one boat behind. We have been shopping for a class A for several weeks. Looked up countless articles, asked several questions here ( everyone has been great by the way), and lost sleep over spending this much money. Arrggg is right! But the last post is a good one. I guess we really won't know until we jump in. Scary Hugh?

I fell in love with a 2012 Fleetwood Providence. Had everything I liked and wanted. Even went so far as the financing. (although we would work to pay off ASAP). DH wasn't quite convinced so we kept looking. Decided to take a long second look at the Fleetwood. This time I realized the bedroom didn't have much drawer space. Then we started thinking about where do we consistently spend time and need space? A shower big enough to turn around in (we use that daily, at least once); a real size toilet (yep...use that daily too); storage areas for clothes as we need those daily. But being dear wife..what about a big kitchen.. Nope. Sometime we will be grilling out, using the smoker, or eating out. WE don't need a big kitchen area. So point is...determine what it is that YOU may need. But don't beat yourselves up as we won't know till we know.

Good luck!!
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I was much younger I was at a point where I wanted to buy a Harley Davidson Motorcycle. After saving and looking for a time, I had a bike I liked in front of me, had the money for it, but was having a hard time taking the plunge. A good friend that was with me made the decision clearer for me-he asked me if I wanted to continue being a "wanna-be" or do I want to ride? I bought the bike and never regretted it.

Glenn
Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Purchase price $144,000.

If Mama ain't happy . . .
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Had a similar problem just before we bought our class A. Took the plunge, and looking back, if we had waited, we could have got better for cheaper. But we have a class A, and we love it. It was never going to be a short term purchase, just like a house. The things we don't like, we are changing. New stove, solar, still have to do something about the fridge, but everything we repair or replace is something I now know more about. We have painted the awful wallpaper, replaced the uncomfortable couch, replaced the outdated gold handles and still there is more to be done. Could we have done better? Of course! Are we unhappy? Absolutely not! Would we make a different decision now? Yes, but we can't so there is no point fretting about it. How often have you bought something like a TV and found it on special a week later? Does it make the original purchase any less valid? Only you can answer that. If the DW is happy, that is 90% of the battle right there. I have met many men who have said they would love to buy a MH but the other half isn't interested. Do it!
Old 09-05-2012, 03:44 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Have you checked out rv.org. If you want to save yourself a lot of problems down the road plunk down what these guys are asking and read all the material, look over the rv ratings and choose a couple of coaches that fit your needs and price range. Then go to oodle.com to search for your coaches. One thing to be aware of, if it sounds too good to be true it's probably not. Stay away from the the send the money too.... type adds, plan on spending some time traveling to find what you're looking for, and don't fall in love with a coach there are a lot of them out there.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote