Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Yahoo to FOSJ
Just Back from First Road Trip

Well it didn't take us long. We brought the DP home last weekend and took off this weekend with friends and family in tow. Overall we had a great time. But I do have a question: When you are driving on the interstate and see the "No Trucks Left Lane" signs, how does it apply to RV's? Is a 40' DP allowed in the left lane? Not that I ever needed to or even thought about it as I was happy driving 67-68 in the right hand lane. But for future reference, does anyone know how that restriction applies to large RV's?

Thanks
FOSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I suspect that the law will vary from State To State. However I would "tend" to follow the rules as they apply to the trucks. Let me explain my reasoning! One reason they may decide to restrict trucks from a lane may be because the lane width was restricted because of construction and traffic was diverted to the shoulder. The shoulder would be tilted for runnoff. A high profile vehicle will naturally tilt as well and if two of them were side by side they may touch at the top causing a dangerous situation. What the law says at that point probably is the least of their problems! Your DP as constructed tends to push the size restrictions to the limit as trucks do.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
No trucks left lane, means just that no trucks. If they didn't want RVs in the left lane the sign would say no trucks or Rvs allowed in left lane.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #4

In Washington, freeways with three or more lanes often have a sign that says "Vehicles over 10,000 pounds (sometimes 16,000 lb) or towing a trailer are no allowed in the LH lane". I believe that the weight limit applies only to vehicles that have an exterior "posted" max GW.

Since I tend to stick to truck speed limits most of the time, I've never really wanted to use that far left lane except on a long upgrade wher the right lane is occupied by a truck doing 30 mph, the center lane is occupied by one doing 33 and I'm managing to hold 55. IF there are no troopers around and no blowtorch jockeys coming up behind, to hell with the limitiation!

I'm also not sure about running an RV with two occupants (the two Labs don't count!) in the HOV lane. DW says we shouldn't, but we're smaller than a transit coach and we meet the "2-person" criterion, so why not?
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Here in Texas if you ventured into the left lane the problem would be the 45' interstate busses (especially those with a red, white & green flag on them) trying to run over you at 85 mph!!!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would suspect you wouldn't get ticketed but also think it's prudent to follow the rules for trucks. I generally don't drive above 63 mph either and am often amazed by someone in a 40'DP towing a Hummer blowing by be at 75.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I would suspect you wouldn't get ticketed but also think it's prudent to follow the rules for trucks. I generally don't drive above 63 mph either and am often amazed by someone in a 40'DP towing a Hummer blowing by be at 75.
X2
I agree with this reasoning.

Bill
Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
it's not a hummer it's a jeep, and just keep right and stay the he!! outa my way!
(kidding...)
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #9

I try to stay in the right lane, but when some fast trucks stack up behind me, I will wait until the traffic is clear and move over to the left lane until the trucks are passed, then move back to the right lane. How is that for being a nice guy.. HAVE A NICE DAY. Danwes.
danwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwes View Post
I try to stay in the right lane, but when some fast trucks stack up behind me, I will wait until the traffic is clear and move over to the left lane until the trucks are passed, then move back to the right lane. How is that for being a nice guy.. HAVE A NICE DAY. Danwes.
Wow. Never thought of that. I'd be afraid that some guy in a Turbo Carerra would be up the tail pipe of my toad by the time I could get back over to the right lane.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Wow. Never thought of that. I'd be afraid that some guy in a Turbo Carerra would be up the tail pipe of my toad by the time I could get back over to the right lane.
Hmmm. Turbo Carerras are pretty rare here in Wisconsin. I think it has something to do with the fact that they don't make tire chains in the proper size.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #12

I wonder how fast the manufacturer's expect us to drive. I have a 42-foot Beaver Contessa that shifts into 6th gear at just under 65mph and yes, that's by design. So, I guess I'm expected to drive between 65mph and 75mph (the max speed for our tires). For the first 1500 miles of ownership I would let it shift into 6th and then slow down just a bit. Now, on open highways, I'm comfortable with 65-70mph.

Gil
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jay... that's funny. I'm trying to picture a Turbo Carerra with tire chains on it and it keeps getting funnier.... especially slopping through salt covered roads.

Excellent point Gil. You've got a lot more beef in your Contessa than I do but even my coach won't shift to 6th before about 56 mph which causes me to go through some gyrations at times. I imagine that the "economy" mode on my Allison might shift it a bit earlier but I haven't tried it yet.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #14

Rick, I don't find that the "economy mode" changes the upshift speed, but does appear to hold off on the downshift a bit. I believe that's what the Allison manual states as well. As for having more beef, you may be surprised. I did weigh the coach the other day, 37,000 lbs. Pushing that is a 400HP and 1250 ft/lbs of torque CAT. I see newer units with 500HP or thereabouts. I wonder how fast they are driving :-)
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote