Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Just bought 1st RV...motor/trans question

Hey y'all! I just bought my first RV on Sunday and couldn't be more thrilled. It is a 1992 Damon Challenger 32' Pusher with 190 hp 5.9 Cummins/4 spd Allison auto. It has 76k on it and I bought it from the original owner. I drove it home 4 hours and the water temp gauge got close to the red about half way home so I pulled over and let it cool. I just had a diesel mechanic flush the radiator so I hope that will fix that. If that doesn't tho....What else could make the motor run hot?? It was 105 on Sunday here in Tennessee and it was a 4% grade (Birdsong) for a mile or so. The coach has also been sitting for a little over a year. ALSO, I plan to be towing a 6x14 enclosed trailer with it. Would it be wise to put an aux trans cooler on the Allison?
Thanks guys, Im sure this is just the tip of the iceberg.
Damon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Welcome.
As a overview, not unit specific. Make sure the fan turns on, make sure the outside of the radiator is also clean (dust/dirt) so the fan can cool the radiator.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon92 View Post
...Thanks guys, Im sure this is just the tip of the iceberg.
That is what the lookout on the Titanic might have thought.

If you are like me and totally new...welcome to the learning channel! My favorite phrase is, "I didn't know what I didn't know." The learning curve for me has been steep but a blast too. I always told my wife I was pretty handy but just too lazy to do things I could pay other to do. I enjoy getting my hands dirty on my RV and she now knows I was telling the truth.

I ain't diesel smart yet but I suspect you still have a lot of the same cooling system stuff like hoses, thermostats and such. Welcome to your first classroom session.

GOOD LUCK!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Hi, and Welcome to iRV2.

When you say " flush " we assume that the coolant was changed. Was the condition of the radiator inspected as BCooke asked, Cummins says to clean the rad fins every 7500 miles, on rear rad units, more often if there is any indication of oil fumes from the slobber tube getting onto the rad.
Was the rad fan operation tested?
Very few units made without a trans cooler, oil to water or oil to air, best to weigh your coach and check all the spec's with regard to , GVW, trailer weight tow rating and GCVW. Find out your trailer weight , loaded. JMHO.you may be asking too much from a 20 year old unit.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good advice on making sure the radiator is clean on the OUTSIDE too. Use the search feature here and you'll find a lot of "how to" information.

Did the engine overheating issue occur while you were climbing? Diesels often require that you keep the RPM up while climbing to ensure that the fans and pump are working fast enough to properly cool. This will be especially important when you start towing your trailer.

best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Skip426 and athuddriver are giving you good guidance.

In a DP the radiator is aft of the engine and picks up a lot of oily grime which attracts dirt and really clogs things up. A thorough cleaning of the radiator fins annually will go a long way in keeping temps in check.

If this is a turbo diesel there is also a air cooler sandwiched in front of the radiator that must also be cleaned. Many use Si
Ole Green for his purpose, but look for the purple version that is safe for aluminum. Spray on, let sit, hose off. Do not use pressure washer.

The thermostat might also be ready for a change. I believe CAT says change them every three years. Not sure about Cummins.

I would guess that a good radiator cleaning and new stats will set you right up.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #7

If it is a rear mount radiator then it'll get residue from exhaust and attracts dirt into the fins. I use to have mine steam cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis.

Just my two cents.
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry for the auto correct typo above. Si Ole should read Simple, as in Simple Green. The normal version of this cleaner is thought to be hard on aluminum, so look for the purple version.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for your input. The coolant was changed, and a degreaser was pumped thru before adding new coolant. He also cleaned the fins and yes the fan turns on. It helped it run a little cooler however when I try to maintain speeds around 65-70, it still creeps toward the red. If I back my foot out of it (50-55) it will cool back down. We are going to put new thermostat in today and I will keep you posted. The motor goes from start up cold to 1/2 hot very fast just idling.
Thanks again
Old 07-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #10

Don't forget to check the air filter.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
A little change in speed & a change in engine temp, sounds like flow blockage in the coolant system somewhere. I would take a hard look at a bad thermostat whether or not it's new. It could be sticking closed, or only partially opening.
If the system is operating OK you won't need an aux cooler, that's just masking a real problem
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccsix View Post
A little change in speed & a change in engine temp, sounds like flow blockage in the coolant system somewhere. I would take a hard look at a bad thermostat whether or not it's new. It could be sticking closed, or only partially opening.
If the system is operating OK you won't need an aux cooler, that's just masking a real problem
Ditto on the thermostat.
Please keep us posted on your efforts.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 PM   #13

Ok so today we went to put new thermostat in. Before we did I got it on the interstate and drove it hard (70-75mph) and let the stock water temp gauge touch the "red" zone. We then pulled over and he had a laser gage he shot on the exhaust manifold and it read 190 degrees. He told me this is optimal operating temp. As he held it on there, it cooled 10 degrees pretty fast as it was idling. Does this not mean the cooling system is doing its job? He told me to let it roll but I do not feel comfortable with any vehicle running that close to the "red." I am thinking about replacing stock round gauge with a new, numerical gauge so I know exactly where it is and don't have to keep guessing. We never replaced the thermostat but I probably will for peace of mind. Is he telling me correctly? Thanks y'all! I know its not going to run any cooler when I take it on a trip loaded with the band and gear!
Old 07-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yu can't gauge the internal engine temp by the exhaust temp. 190 is not bad for the mana fold but you don't want your cooling system running at that temp.

It could be a faulty gauge or sending unit. It would not hurt to get a second gauge to verify the coolant temp.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote