Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Just bought 40' DP, need help winterizing

Hi All! Just joined here...newbie Bought a 40' DP and trying to winterize. Mechanically inclined...restore classic cars as a hobby

I found the water heater byass valve under the bathroom sink and have bypassed. Drained water heater and opened relief valve.

Not sure why, but I needed to leave the water pump on to drain the rest of water in tank. At first I though all the water was out and followed directions on disconnecting the washer hoses. What a surprise when I turned on the water pump to suck the antifreeze into the mh and water flooded area behind the washer

When I connect the host to the "winterize" connection, it doesn't suck the antifreeze into the RV. What am I missing? Instructions on the water compartment state that there is some other valve that needs to be open, not sure which one they mean. Any tips? Should 2 gallons be enough (that's what they said at camping world). Seems like this should be a simple 10 min process Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ChazA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Of coarse yours could be different from what I said,

But even with mine and having a 3 foot hose to suck antifreeze through it takes a few seconds.

Also it helps to open a facet while sucking antifreeze through the bypass hose.

adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazA View Post
Hi All! Just joined here...newbie Bought a 40' DP and trying to winterize. Mechanically inclined...restore classic cars as a hobby

I found the water heater byass valve under the bathroom sink and have bypassed. Drained water heater and opened relief valve.

Not sure why, but I needed to leave the water pump on to drain the rest of water in tank. At first I though all the water was out and followed directions on disconnecting the washer hoses. What a surprise when I turned on the water pump to suck the antifreeze into the mh and water flooded area behind the washer

When I connect the host to the "winterize" connection, it doesn't suck the antifreeze into the RV. What am I missing? Instructions on the water compartment state that there is some other valve that needs to be open, not sure which one they mean. Any tips? Should 2 gallons be enough (that's what they said at camping world). Seems like this should be a simple 10 min process Thanks!
Welcome to IRV2 ChasA,

Not sure which configuration you have but one thought is the city/tank fill valve.
You should have a valve that when hooked up to shore water it will either pressurize the system or fill the tank. Do you have that valve set to pressurize the system?

Tip: Get a good clean 5 gallon bucket and put all of your antifreeze into one bucket. That way you do not have to man the jugs as the system is filling. I always buy extra and make sure the bucket is full. Any left over product can be poured back into the 1 gallon jugs for next year.

Don't forget the windshield washer fluid. Be sure to run the w/s washer long enough to get w/s antifreeze through the lines.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
Welcome to IRV2 ChasA,

Not sure which configuration you have but one thought is the city/tank fill valve.
You should have a valve that when hooked up to shore water it will either pressurize the system or fill the tank. Do you have that valve set to pressurize the system?

Thanks for the Welcome! The diagram in the basement area says to check that Valve, (I think they call it #2), but I can't seem to find it the same compartment you mention. There are two other valves not labeled in the basement on the other side, so maybe they are the valve(s). I will check again in the owners manual. Should it be set *not* to pressurize? Thx!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
we're gonna need to know what model and year coach you have, they are all so different.

Mine has a specific winterize connection where you attach the suction hose. there is a valve upstream that must be turned on. follow the pipe a lil further and there is another valve between the pump inlet and the tank that needs to be turned off.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
we're gonna need to know what model and year coach you have, they are all so different.

Mine has a specific winterize connection where you attach the suction hose. there is a valve upstream that must be turned on. follow the pipe a lil further and there is another valve between the pump inlet and the tank that needs to be turned off.
Jim, thanks. Sorry, I should have pointed out MH brand is in my signature below Here's some more pics (sorry a little dark). The two blue valves on other side of basement are unknown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_001815.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	28152   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_001816.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	28153  

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_001818.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	28154  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Here is some information that may help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazA View Post
Jim, thanks. Sorry, I should have pointed out MH brand is in my signature below Here's some more pics (sorry a little dark). The two blue valves on other side of basement are unknown.
Couldn't figure out the #1 and #2 valves on pic so went into RV dealer (not Fleetwood BTW, local a few miles away) to winterize. Unbelievably, the valves are actually *behind* a panel in the compartment and screws need to be removed to access the valves, then remove panel...really Fleetwood??? Tech at RV dealer found them.

FYI, the two blue valves are add'l drains. Called Fleetwood and got through today (no answer all day yesterday) and they explained they are just two add'l valves to help drain, but aren't documented. I asked too why there is no documentation on removing the panel...and they said they assumed people would know...(they guessed)...the lady was unsure (nothing in owners manual or pics on RV). All were very nice on phone BTW

Happy though that the MH is now in indoor storage and all is good Hopefully my info may help others. Thx all for the tips!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]