Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #43

I assume that the parking brake is set.... and with the parking brake set... the angle of the rod on the spring brake and the slack adjuster should be 90* when the shoes are contacting the drums... it looks like the shaft on the spring brake is almost fully extended and you might not have full brake capacity...

IF in fact the parking brake is NOT SET... than the slack adjuster is excessively out of adjustment and the angle will increase as the brakes are applied...

When the angle is way off from 90* when the shoes contact the drum the mechanical advantage of the spring brake is decreased and proper braking will not occur....

In any case... with any kind of DOT inspection this would be red tagged out of service and the only way to move it would be to tow it.... or repair it where it sits... your lucky you don't have to run this across a set of scales... of course if you were forced to do that... they would make you repair it and keep it safe....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #44

This post is 1 year old.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #45
Dad

Monaco Owners Club
So an update. Yes this break would have field inspection even though the dealer told me it had been inspected. According to the mechanic this break would not have been engaging at all when driving and not road safe. So yes it is fixed and yes all new tires (they were 12 years old). After a lot of BBB back and fourth the dealer agreed to pay for all the parts I needed to replace to get it road safe. That was about $3000 worth of stuff.

Anyway I know this is an old post but new info is always good and I don't want another owner to have to go through what I had too. you buy used pay to get it inspected by the DOT. If they say it has been inspected get the paper work on it.
Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #46
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I trust RV dealers only as far as I can throw them. And that is being generous.
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
I love you
Best reply I've ever read.

Here's your card.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:59 AM   #49

Yes this is bad also. What you are looking at on your right is the service brake and spring brake actuator which works off of the foot valve or brake peddle. Also inside is another brake component that works off a second air supply which houses a large spring and called a spring brake. This is why you have two separate air tanks and supplies for redundancy. The rod coming out of the canister pushes on the slack adjuster and that turns the s cam thus applying your brakes. If you notice the red ring on the rod coming out of the canister. You aren't supposed to see this. This a warning that your rod is "stroked out" in other words there is no more movement left. As your brakes wear your brakes will start to not be effective and you won't be able to stop. I have had this happen in younger years when I didn't do a pre trip and slowly stoped half way into an intersection. The slack adjuster is what the rod attached to. This appears to be a manual slack adjuster which must be adjusted manually. Most rigs of this era have automatic slack adjusters.

I would make an appointment at a local truck shop and have chassis looked over especially brakes. I would also send the dealer a stern letter letting them know they sent you down the road with a dangerous situation and could have ended up really bad.

Manual slack adjusters are easy to adjust they just require some safety precautions. First read your owners manual to identify your type of slack adjuster. When you adjust a manual slack adjuster you must have your brakes released to tighten them. This is dangerous and when manual slack adjusters were the norm, people were killed on a regular basis by being run over. You must block the wheels. You must block body if it is air ride as the chassis could drop on top of you also. Then adjusting the adjuster is as simple as a few turns of a 9/16 wrench until brakes are tight then backing them off a quarter turn. I would have a mobile service unit do a quick call at this point until you are familiar with your system.

Seriously, you might call a local truck shop if you aren't comfortable adjusting them yourself and have them send out a mobile truck to snug them up until you can drop it off for an inspection.

The reason I know this is I have a commercial truck and trailer with air brakes and our coach has air brakes.

Let us know how your make out.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #50

Anybody know a web site that diagrams a typical DP brake system with a description.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #51

Dad, Nice to see that you got SOME resolution.

On the tires, if ANY dealership sells you an RV that has Michelin tires (for example) over 10 years old, you have a case that he sold an unsafe vehicle since Michelin itself states in writing that their tires should not be used beyond 10 years.

Most states require that vehicles being sold by a licensed dealer must pass basic safety inspections prior to sale. 10 year old tires is pretty good proof that the inspector was negligent, if it was ever inspected at all!

Would be helpful if you would publish the name of the dealership so other people can learn from your experience. It isn't dealer "bashing" if the information is factual. It might prevent someone down the road from buying a vehicle that ends up killing them, or someone else.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

Anybody know a web site that diagrams a typical DP brake system with a description.
This is better than a web site, I've attached an Air Brake Manual for the US, one for Canada plus an Air Brake System Test procedure.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Air Brake Manual.pdf (2.13 MB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf Air Brake Manual Canada.pdf (2.37 MB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf Air Brake System Test.pdf (237.5 KB, 29 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #53

Thanks Dr4, I've got the rest of my day planned
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:00 AM   #54

Forest River Owners Club
You didn't say if the brakes were set at the time of the picture or if it was taken with the brakes off. The push rod on the chamber is extended as though they are set. if not it is possible that the shaft has camed over. in any since it needs to be taken to a large truck repair and have all the brakes checked. DOT requires that all air brakes should be inspected prior to travel but that does not apply to motor homes. (yet)

Remember: Take off is optional.....stopping is mandatory.
Good luck !
Cabinhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #55
Dad

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinhill View Post
You didn't say if the brakes were set at the time of the picture or if it was taken with the brakes off. The push rod on the chamber is extended as though they are set. if not it is possible that the shaft has camed over. in any since it needs to be taken to a large truck repair and have all the brakes checked. DOT requires that all air brakes should be inspected prior to travel but that does not apply to motor homes. (yet)

Remember: Take off is optional.....stopping is mandatory.
Good luck !
The mechanic took the picture so I would think it was set if he was crawling around under it. unless he was testing them at the time and then found the slack adjuster issue.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #56
Dad

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Dad, Nice to see that you got SOME resolution.

On the tires, if ANY dealership sells you an RV that has Michelin tires (for example) over 10 years old, you have a case that he sold an unsafe vehicle since Michelin itself states in writing that their tires should not be used beyond 10 years.

Most states require that vehicles being sold by a licensed dealer must pass basic safety inspections prior to sale. 10 year old tires is pretty good proof that the inspector was negligent, if it was ever inspected at all!

Would be helpful if you would publish the name of the dealership so other people can learn from your experience. It isn't dealer "bashing" if the information is factual. It might prevent someone down the road from buying a vehicle that ends up killing them, or someone else.

I read on here some where you can't use this site to bash dealers. I am sure some dealers could go after the site. Not all people that complain about dealers are being truthful so I get that. But I would think you can link to a BBB report.

http://www.bbb.org/northernindiana/b...72/complaints#

I also agreed with the dealer in settlement that I would not bash them but never agreed to not point out the BBB report. The one dated 4/6/2016 is only about 10% of our going back and fourth but you at least get a good summery. With that said the staff was fine and wanted to get it right. What I learned the hard way is pay to get your stuff inspected even if it is new unless they can provide paper that is verified by the state inspection (DOT) people. Yes, I would buy from them again but I would just pay to have an independent inspection.