Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Just curious....

Just curious: How many RV's here have there class "A" license??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I used to have a 'Public Passenger Chauffeur's license, (Indiana & Ohio) but when CDL came into effect nationwide, I read the requirements, (yearly physical and renewal) and the fact that fines were increased for CDL holders, I gave it up. I used to drive buses locally and long distance (Banff, Yellowstone, etc.) I did have training in Air Brakes and mountain driving.

Most states do not have any special requirements for RVs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I used to have a 'Public Passenger Chauffeur's license, (Indiana & Ohio) but when CDL came into effect nationwide, I read the requirements, (yearly physical and renewal) and the fact that fines were increased for CDL holders, I gave it up. I used to drive buses locally and long distance (Banff, Yellowstone, etc.) I did have training in Air Brakes and mountain driving.

Most states do not have any special requirements for RVs.
Thanks for the reply! Question: Assuming you jumped through those hoops of obtaining an "A", would you consider pulling an enclosed trailer(18-20ft) from state to state, if you could make $$? If so, how much-on a per mile basis? This is assuming you were under a company's authority etc..
Old 05-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 HM59.
Most states allow up to 26,000 lb on your class D license.
If your looking at DP's and higher weights than some states require a different license because of higher weight class.
Here is a link to explain.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
In Texas it is a Class B for a Motorhome unless you can pull a trailer that is 10K#. Class As are for combined wt>26,001# and pulling a 10,000K trailer/toad. We have Class As just in case we want to pull something heavier.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
In Texas it is a Class B for a Motorhome unless you can pull a trailer that is 10K#. Class As are for combined wt>26,001# and pulling a 10,000K trailer/toad. We have Class As just in case we want to pull something heavier.

Barb
Thanks for the reply! Question: would you consider pulling an enclosed trailer(18-20ft) from state to state, if you could make $$? If so, how much-on a per mile basis? This is assuming you were under a company's authority etc..
Old 05-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
TX Class"B" CDL. If the trailer's not 10,001 # or more I'm good to go. Glad I didn't let my CDL lapse when I no longer needed it for work.
& 2014 Jeep Sahara Unlimited Toad
"Get It While You Can"
jwomack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a class B passenger, but had it before I had a motorhome. It made driving a motorhome a breeze.
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry, I have no interest in becoming a commercial driver again. Plus your term 'class A' a type of CDL (commercial driver's license) that requires knowledge of placard hazmat #s, and all sorts of things I don't feel the need to learn. As I said before, the CDL has stiffer penalties for traffic infractions, has to be renewed annually, and has other hoops to jump through. I'm a retired educator, not interested in commercial driving.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Sorry, I have no interest in becoming a commercial driver again. Plus your term 'class A' a type of CDL (commercial driver's license) that requires knowledge of placard hazmat #s, and all sorts of things I don't feel the need to learn. As I said before, the CDL has stiffer penalties for traffic infractions, has to be renewed annually, and has other hoops to jump through. I'm a retired educator, not interested in commercial driving.
Understood-I'll let you get back to retirement It's my understanding that one could make $50k working part time with this gig. That's nothing to sneeze at.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
You have to understand what retirement means HH59. In the State of PA - I've had a First Class license since the 70's ( now called a class A CDL ). Pulling a trailer for $$ - kinda defeats the whole retirement thingy. It would be like having a job. Now if that's what you're looking for - then I'll wave to you on the road. Happy motoring.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I understand the question and interest but don't see it fitting neatly in to the lifestyles of most full time RVers.

If the idea is that "hey, you're traveling around anyway... may as well tow this and get paid for it"... it sure won't work for most folks.

The CDL requirements are a deal breaker for 99% of us, and even if you get past that hurdle, there's the issue of a toad.

It's hard to imagine a big DP being a very efficient "tractor" to tow that trailer with but maybe I've got that wrong.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I understand the question and interest but don't see it fitting neatly in to the lifestyles of most full time RVers.

If the idea is that "hey, you're traveling around anyway... may as well tow this and get paid for it"... it sure won't work for most folks.

The CDL requirements are a deal breaker for 99% of us, and even if you get past that hurdle, there's the issue of a toad.

It's hard to imagine a big DP being a very efficient "tractor" to tow that trailer with but maybe I've got that wrong.

Best of luck.

Rick
Actually, the idea would be either: i am board with retirement and would like to use my rig to make some money or folks who have lost their homes and now live on the road and don't find "raking leaves" and "cleaning toilets" at the local campground, a means of paying the bills. Not quite sure about that 99% number-seems a little high..
Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #14

I understand your question & your rationale ....however I just don't think a MH makes a very good or efficient tractor. If I was going to do something like this, I would find a place I enjoyed...would park the MH....invest in a good used tractor....haul freight for a couple of months...park the tractor......travel for a couple months....return & haul freight...park the tractor ....and travel and so on & so on....

Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote