Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexring View Post
I always wave. Makes me smile when a wave is returned.

I too am curious what the Jeep greeting is.

I believe a motorcycle greeting is pointing towards the ground with the left hand? Correct me if I'm wrong.
We wave low, as if pointed to the ground on any motor cycle because of wind resistance causing discomfort to the shoulder sometimes. Also there is less chance of losing control in an sudden emergency with the low left hand that can be pulled straight up the left grip in an instant.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 AM   #16

Used to get a lot more waves 25 years ago, but very few ever in my home state of WA. If you drive the state highways and lesser roads in the mid west states like Iowa you will receive a lot of waves from all types of motorists. The most memorable gesture occurred in Iowa, when we drove by a tractor that was about 50 yards from the road in a farm field. Two men were working on the tractor with their backs to us, bent over, with their heads buried under the engine cowling. One of the men, without turning around or pulling his head from under the cowl, put his free arm behind his back and acknowledged us with a wave. I gave a very light toot of the horn as we passed by them. We found the people living in the small towns of the mid west to be astonishingly friendly to strangers.

Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:42 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I like to wave. My DW doesn't want me to . Both hands on the wheel is her motto.
Lucky she ain't driving right? 😎👍
Old 04-18-2016, 04:49 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We wave and then joke about whatever response we get (or perhaps better stated "Don't get"). Sometimes our wave is a cheesy "opera wave" .. Other times it a highly animated "Horseshack" (Welcome Back Kotter reference). We also wave at truck drivers - and pretty much anybody/everybody that isn't just a car. It's a game with us.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
We wave and then joke about whatever response we get (or perhaps better stated "Don't get"). Sometimes our wave is a cheesy "opera wave" .. Other times it a highly animated "Horseshack" (Welcome Back Kotter reference). We also wave at truck drivers - and pretty much anybody/everybody that isn't just a car. It's a game with us.
I live and drive quite a bit in the north east, an area rightly known for not being so open and friendly to strangers.

I love to wave to people, and while I do it to be friendly, and love to get friendly responses, some of the more memorable interactions are different.

Sometimes you get a response to a simple friendly gesture from someone who honestly has no clue what to do. The awkward look on their face is sometime burned into my memory. Most times I feel amused at their perplextion, but some time I feel sad for them.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I live and drive quite a bit in the north east, an area rightly known for not being so open and friendly to strangers.

I love to wave to people, and while I do it to be friendly, and love to get friendly responses, some of the more memorable interactions are different.

Sometimes you get a response to a simple friendly gesture from someone who honestly has no clue what to do. The awkward look on their face is sometime burned into my memory. Most times I feel amused at their perplextion, but some time I feel sad for them.
So true,

The Jersey attitude is just a way of life for people who never socialize outside of family and very close friends. Yes, sad they know no other way.....
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our windows have a coating on them, pretty much keeps anyone from seeing us except through the windshield, by then it's too late!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:30 AM   #22

Driving a Corvette, I wave. Riding a motorcycle, I wave. Driving a motorhome I give a quick wave then grab the wheel!

Charlie
Old 04-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I wave at motorhome drivers, but not 5vers or pull behinds.....they're not worthy.

come on...someone had to say it. :-)

sorry, just trying to be funny..lol
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbacks View Post
I wave at motorhome drivers, but not 5vers or pull behinds.....they're not worthy.

come on...someone had to say it. :-)

sorry, just trying to be funny..lol
I thought it was funny!
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:39 PM   #25

A wave..........preferably a full hand wave
BUT we rarely see any return waves

Rode motorcycles for years as main transportation.
Left hand wave......not much motion just left hand out with a dip
Old 04-22-2016, 08:49 PM   #26

For Harley riders, just pull out a fistful of dollar bills, wave and let them go! They'll know what you mean . . . .Then again, the same "wave" would probably be appropriate for Motor Home owners too!

P.S. I never waved when I owned my one and only Harley, That was because after riding any more than about half an hour the engine vibration had caused my hands and feet to go asleep, and I was afraid if I took my hand off of the hand grip to wave, I might not get it to wrap back around the grip!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
For Harley riders, just pull out a fistful of dollar bills, wave and let them go! They'll know what you mean . . . .Then again, the same "wave" would probably be appropriate for Motor Home owners too!

P.S. I never waved when I owned my one and only Harley, That was because after riding any more than about half an hour the engine vibration had caused my hands and feet to go asleep, and I was afraid if I took my hand off of the hand grip to wave, I might not get it to wrap back around the grip!
Sounds like you needed a tune up or a stronger hand . Currently riding my Electra Glide.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Sounds like you needed a tune up

Bike was brand new 1999 Heritage Soft tail Classic, Dealer checked it out and said the vibration was part of the "Harley Mystique!" That kind of "Mystique" I can do without. Boy was I glad when I sold that POS!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote