Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #1

Just curious....Windsport versus other Thor models

Just curious... we recently purchased a 2003 Thor Windsport 32R. In the lineup of Thor coaches where does the Windsport fall? Not that it matters ...we love our gently used coach, it's just a fact finding question.

Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
I'll add my 2c. All the gas MH's in the Thor lineup are pretty much the same as far as quality. Thor seemed to be the one that soaked up a lot of manufacturers as they times got tough and other companies went under. I had a 2008 Windsport and now have a 2012 Thor Daybreak which was previously manufacturered by Damon who was absorbed by Thor. Then throw the Hurrincane in the mix. When we bought our recent one I posed the question "why doesn't Thor consolidate these models under one line-up?" but I think the real answer is it allows them to saturate the market with a little more variety at a nominal cost. It kind of drives me crazy that they all have subtle differences....one thing better in one model, another thing in a different one. Just small things though. For example, my Daybreak doesnt have a power cut-off switch to the coach batteries. Drives me crazy.

Back to your question though, the Windsport is right in there with most the other gaser MH's on a 19.5" wheel chasis. It's not until you take a step up to the 22" wheel chasis that you see a little difference, and then obviously the big jump to a DP.

Glad you enjoy your rig.....that is the biggest thing!

RESharp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
Vintage RV Owners Club
The Windsport is a step up from the Hurricane in Thor's line up.
92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
I hardly see where a 22" tire means a better RV than one with 19.5. I believe the Windsport came with either, not positive though.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I hardly see where a 22" tire means a better RV than one with 19.5. I believe the Windsport came with either, not positive though.
because the 22" tire is on a larger chasis. larger chasis & more wieght = more stable driving experience. its the same reason that a 32' MH w/ no slides & weighs only 16k lbs feels a lot more squirrely on the road than a 35' MH that weighs 22k lbs.i'm not infering that there major jump like moving to a DP, but it is a step up from the 19.5" wheel. if the simple physics dont make sense, you can also swing by any large dealer lot that sells a variety of rigs. you'll see a difference in a few things besides the price tag.

i'm not positive about the Thor ACE, but i'm almost positive the Daybreak, Windsport, and Hurricane are only offered on the 19.5" wheel chasis. I'm not trying to make a blanket statement, but i can tell you i looked at a heck of a lot of rigs literally side by side, and across various manurfacturers.

Without sparking controversy, i've only suggested to the OP that his Windsport is no better and no worse than the other gasers in the Thor lineup, which is what he was asking. All of that lineup is of rough equal quality. i've owned 2 different ones now and i've looked at every one of them side by side in person.
RESharp001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #6
Ford offered the F-53 on my 22K chassis at either 19.5 or 22. Not sure why Four Skins built mine on the 19.5.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
My 2007 Windsport 22K F53 chassis is on 22" wheels. Back then they came either way. The 22's offered a "full" basement while the 19.5 did not. The 22's ride a lot better too.
dcmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
The 2003 Windsport was the in the middle of the Thor line up. We had one just like yours. The Hurricane was a step lower, and the Infinity was a step higher. We looked at the difference in the Infinity and the Windsport carefully. The only real difference was the counter tops, toilet, and the tile floor. That wasn't worth the difference in money to us. If you have difficulty handing you might want to look into Bilstien shocks and True Track stabilizer. Enjoy your Windsport, we had lots of fun in ours.

Jim and Shirley McGehee
2004 Beaver Monterey Laguna
2013 Honda Fit Toad, 2003 Jeep Liberty Toad
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote