Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #1

Just did Dicor roof

Yesterday it took me about 5 hours to wash, put on activator and 3 coats of elastromeric dicor.

I put on the edges with a 3 inch brush and the rest i rolled. i was somewhat concerned because Dicor says it should take 4 gallons but I only used about 1 and 3/4 gallons on the roof. It did come out bueatiful!!

Because I used so little I put on the third coat.

I didn't drape the plastic. Too damn much work to get it up by myself so I was just careful with the spray. Didn't use the recommended sprayer or powerwasher. Just a spray bottle and hose. Rinsed the outside right after washing it off the roof.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #2

How about a picture of the end result?

Old 05-03-2015, 05:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsperfect View Post
Yesterday it took me about 5 hours to wash, put on activator and 3 coats of elastromeric dicor.

I put on the edges with a 3 inch brush and the rest i rolled. i was somewhat concerned because Dicor says it should take 4 gallons but I only used about 1 and 3/4 gallons on the roof. It did come out bueatiful!!

Because I used so little I put on the third coat.

I didn't drape the plastic. Too damn much work to get it up by myself so I was just careful with the spray. Didn't use the recommended sprayer or powerwasher. Just a spray bottle and hose. Rinsed the outside right after washing it off the roof.

Well Sir,
I know how you feel. It was quite a while ago but, my son and I did the same exact process on our '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V about a few years ago. We labored hard, all in one day. Yep, two styles of cleaning and, the prep/primer etc., then, I put two coats of Dicor on it. We were done by about 4:00 or 5:00 that afternoon. That coating is seriously nice and, it still looks like that today. Below is a pic the next morning, after all that hard work was done.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #4

i wouldn't worry about the less than they said amount being used. two years ago, i did the same thing that i only used one and a half gallons. it's still good today.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Did they take back the amount that was left over?

If not they sold the recommended amount.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #6

I purchased all my materials from Camping World and, I calculated what I needed, based on the square footage. I had a gallon and a half left over. I took back the un used gallon and they had no issue taking it back. The 1/2 used gallon, well, it went into land fill.
Scott
Old 05-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am planning on doing that to my roof this fall. Sounds like it was relatively simple.

Did you spray the activator on the roof?

How long did it take the activator to get sticky?
Old 05-04-2015, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
I am planning on doing that to my roof this fall. Sounds like it was relatively simple.

Did you spray the activator on the roof?

How long did it take the activator to get sticky?
call me cheap... no, i didn't use the activator, even didn't use the cleaning agent. i used water with laundry detergent, cleaned and rinsed well. waited until dry, then applied the coating, twice.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:45 AM   #9

The activator is like primer when you paint. The manufacturer specifies the activator to improve the bonding between the old roof and the new coating. Hope your decision to skip this step doesn't come back to bite you. It doesn't pay to waste money but it does pay to follow the recommendations.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:07 PM   #10

Just had mine done at Floyds in Goldsby. 2000 Pace Arrow 36 foot. I'm sure this was the first recoat. It was showing about 75% black and lots of chalking down the sides after a rain. They did a scrape down and then 2 coats with each cross coated. Charged me for 2 gallons. I think in a couple of years I will brush clean the roof and recoat it myself with a roller. Another 3 years after that we will probably be ready to pass it on.

2000PaceArrow 36 V10 Ford
2008 CRV on 16 ft tandem wheel car hauler trailer.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We just coated our roof this last weekend. Wasn't hard, just time consuming! The prep work is what took the longest. I am going to try posting before and after pics. Also, we used EPDM Coatings ,not the dicor stuff.It's actually a liquid rubber and so far we are fairly impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150502_132709.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	93510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150504_133753.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	93511  

Old 05-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #12

Does the activator spray on okay with a garden sprayer? Do you get much over spray? I've bought all the materials for our 27' Prowler TT, but the thought of masking everything off is daunting. We will be doing this prior to selling it as we just moved up to a DSDP.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Does the activator spray on okay with a garden sprayer? Do you get much over spray? I've bought all the materials for our 27' Prowler TT, but the thought of masking everything off is daunting. We will be doing this prior to selling it as we just moved up to a DSDP.
Hit the road,
I can't remember but, I think that, the primer/prep coating is applied by the use of a Hudson (garden) type pump-up sprayer. Then, it's pressure washed off. Yep, trying to mask off the entire coach so that the prep/primer will not do any harm to the sides/front of the coach is/was useless for us. When we were starting to pressure wash the roof to get rid of that prep material, it blew off the masked sheeting too.

So, I had the wife, just keep the entire coach soaked with water while washing the roof off.
Scott

Tags
dicor, roof