Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Just for fun; What would you do knowing what you now know

Just a little background. DW and I have been preparing for the last year or so and will be getting a class A in the spring (I know, not the best time to buy). Like every one of you, we have read everything we can read, watched a whole lot of videos, and done our homework. We have made our decision on two manufacturers and one or two floor plans from each and come spring, we will see what is available used and then purchase. I thought it might be fun to pose the following question, what would you do? This is intended to be fun and no one is wrong, so I hope it doesn't become a negative thread, I hope.

Here it goes. We will use our coach for 4-6 week long trips per year along with 10-12 4 or 5 day long weekends. We both work for now but in the next 6 years, the DW won't have too and I have a job that takes me all over North America and I schedule my travel weeks in advance. After the DW stops working, we may go full time but that is a decision for several years from now.

Final Question........if you had a budget of $150,000 what would you buy (class A) and why.

One thing about my wife and I. We know this won't be are last coach and knowing this, we want to be able to minimize the financial loss of trading/selling this coach in 5 or 6 years for a full timing coach.

Thanks in advance for all replies.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2017, 06:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd be looking at a Newmar Dutch Star in your price range.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fascinating. My choice would be a Tiffin 32SA or Newmar Baystar. Both have good reputations and floor plans which I like. I have seen the inside of a Newmar and am impressed with the fit and finish.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just for fun

Well being new to the Class A this year and reading myself for retirement next year I thought buying new would be the best approach for long term comfort and quality. Boy was I disappointed and still working with FR to resolve issues. What did I learn... buy something that is a few years old that has been debugged and depreciated and ready to provide comfort and relaxation instead of worrying what will break next.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #5

For me cargo space is important. My current coach leaves a bit to be desired in the basement area. My previous gas coach of the same length had more and larger basement storage. I will make sure my next one has full basement with hopefully a pass thru with a slide out tray. Its amazing that even part timing how fast the storage fills up with things like portable bbq, spare tire, fold up wagon, folding chairs, tools, oils and maintenance items ect ect ect. Cant have too much storage. A slide out pantry in the kitchen is nice as well and uses up very little space. Buying an older high end unit is better than a newer lower end one. More features and better materials, as well as more thought and workmanship put into them. I see a Dutchstar or Tiffin in my future as well. Good luck shopping.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
I suggest that you also look at the top tier coaches (Prevost conversions/Beaver/Country Coach/Newell/Foretravel) that are 10 to 16 years young, with no more than 2 slides, should be at or below your budgeted range...Don't just limit your selection to the major by volume mfg's offerings.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I would look in the northern midwest where the rigs are far less expensive than down south. I would look for an older best quality rig that has been shedded its whole life and the owner is selling due to having to quit RV'ing. It will take a lot of perusing the sites but heck, thats half the fun. They are out there and they are a great value.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
We have made our decision on two manufacturers and one or two floor plans from each and come spring, we will see what is available used and then purchase.

Here it goes. We will use our coach for 4-6 week long trips per year along with 10-12 4 or 5 day long weekends. We both work for now but in the next 6 years, the DW won't have too and I have a job that takes me all over North America and I schedule my travel weeks in advance. After the DW stops working, we may go full time but that is a decision for several years from now.

Final Question........if you had a budget of $150,000 what would you buy (class A) and why.

One thing about my wife and I. We know this won't be are last coach and knowing this, we want to be able to minimize the financial loss of trading/selling this coach in 5 or 6 years for a full timing coach.
Based on what you've posted, here's my take:
1) You've already made your decision on 2 manufacturers. Wished you would of told us which one's those are so we don't offer up in vain, other 150K options...so I won't.

2) Since this is a short trip RV for the next 6 years, then you'll re-evaluate on whether or not you'll go FT or not AND you also want to minimize the financial loss of trading/selling this coach, it's no brainer for me, it's a gas rig. Looking at the highest end of your days traveling is a 100 days/yr. That means it will be sitting for 265 days/year. That alone, to me, rules out paying a lot more now for a diesel, loose a lot more later when you trade or sell and is costlier to operate in the mean time. BTW...since it's going to be sitting more than 2/3 of the year, do yourself & the rig a BIG favor and park it in covered storage.

3) Looking ahead 6 years that your job that takes you all over North America—may certainly not be the case 6 years from now.

So in conclusion, I'd buy a used gas rig now, about 2-4 years old, somewhere around 35'-38', this will be well below your budget, give you experience in traveling and what the "True Costs" are of what it takes to operate & maintain a rig like this. In addition—within those 6 years—you'll have a whole lot more knowledge on the kind of rig to buy IF you decide to go FT.

Good luck.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:20 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post

Thanks in advance for all replies.
You are pretty much guaranteed to lose 5-7% per year. The only way to be sure to not lose as much money is to spend less. With 10k baby boomers retiring each day there is a chance that 5 years from now the demand causes the prices to go up though.
You didn't mention if you are "handy" or not. The hourly rates at the MH shops could approach 150-200 bucks soon.

I would;
Enter high price of 175k, used, etc., in MH criteria and sort by year. All MH's with my wants that are at least 7 years old would be considered.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
1) You've already made your decision on 2 manufacturers. Wished you would of told us which one's those are so we don't offer up in vain, other 150K options...so I won't.....
OP did ask what "we" would buy. Presumably, if we are convincing enough they could change their mind. They could also get valuable info if we say why we would/wouldn't buy X, Y or Z?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I suggest that you also look at the top tier coaches (Prevost conversions/Beaver/Country Coach/Newell/Foretravel) that are 10 to 16 years young, with no more than 2 slides, should be at or below your budgeted range...Don't just limit your selection to the major by volume mfg's offerings.
Generally great advice. I do think that the Prevost conversions would be limited to the non-slides in the OP price range. I will be looking for coach's that you recommend when we retire.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:31 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
You are pretty much guaranteed to lose 5-7% per year. The only way to be sure to not lose as much money is to spend less. With 10k baby boomers retiring each day there is a chance that 5 years from now the demand causes the prices to go up though.
You didn't mention if you are "handy" or not. The hourly rates at the MH shops could approach 150-200 bucks soon.

I would;
Enter high price of 175k, used, etc., in MH criteria and sort by year. All MH's with my wants that are at least 7 years old would be considered.
I bought a 2 year old DP and sold it for 10% MORE than I paid for it 4 years later.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
1) You've already made your decision on 2 manufacturers. Wished you would of told us which one's those are so we don't offer up in vain, other 150K options...so I won't.

2) Since this is a short trip RV for the next 6 years, then you'll re-evaluate on whether or not you'll go FT or not AND you also want to minimize the financial loss of trading/selling this coach, it's no brainer for me, it's a gas rig. Looking at the highest end of your days traveling is a 100 days/yr. That means it will be sitting for 265 days/year. That alone, to me, rules out paying a lot more now for a diesel, loose a lot more later when you trade or sell and is costlier to operate in the mean time. BTW...since it's going to be sitting more than 2/3 of the year, do yourself & the rig a BIG favor and park it in covered storage.

3) Looking ahead 6 years that your job that takes you all over North America—may certainly not be the case 6 years from now.

So in conclusion, I'd buy a used gas rig now, about 2-4 years old, somewhere around 35'-38', this will be well below your budget, give you experience in traveling and what the "True Costs" are of what it takes to operate & maintain a rig like this. In addition—within those 6 years—you'll have a whole lot more knowledge on the kind of rig to buy IF you decide to go FT.

Good luck.
I totally agree with this!!! A 35 footer gives you plenty of living space and you never know what 6 years from now will be like.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
I bought a 2 year old DP and sold it for 10% MORE than I paid for it 4 years later.
You did great! Good job. Probably the exception though.
I think planning on not losing 5% would be foolish however IMO.
Did you put any money into the MH? Not planning on having to do that would also be foolish. Did you pay to have it inspected? How much? You get the picture. Money pits in general. ...not investments. Never heard my financial advisor say diversify. ....buy a MH.