Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff.....I looked at the model you're interested in and see that it has an all in one bath. We have a similar setup and really like it. Depending on the length of your trips, keep in mind that there is only a sofa for relaxing in the evening. Our coach has a sofa and a recliner. My wife gets the sofa and I get the recliner. You can turn the front seat and use it, but won't face the TV. This is just a thought if you're interested in using the TV in the evenings. If this is an issue, you can use a nice folding chair that reclines, like one of the LaFuma (sp) outdoor chairs.

Don't let the forum intimidate you. I'm guessing that less than 3% of the RVing population actually goes on line and discusses issues with their RV's. When they do, it's almost always going to be things that have gone wrong.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
We are brand new to rving too. If you are concerned about repairs why not just invest in an extended warranty? As far as whether you would like rving, that depends on your situation. We both, like yourself, spent a lot of time traveling domestically for business. When we retired, we still wanted to travel but we were done with living out of suitcases. We had never rvíed, but we liked the idea of sleeping in your own bed and relaxing in our own space. I know everyone recommends renting but to me that just seemed like another hotel that everyone else used before me. We researched like crazy, first thinking we wanted a 28 footer but ultimately decided our perfect rv was a 2010 Jayco Seneca 36 ft. We put 10,000 miles on it and quickly realized that one, we loved rving and two, we needed bigger! We now have a 43ft. and we love it. We use it probably 3 months a year. My concern is that you seem to want to stay in yours for a month or more in Florida. 28ft seems small. We discovered we wanted a portable condo rather than a weekend getaway. Each situation is different and only you will be able to determine what your are comfortable with but if you are comfortable driving a Uhaul truck, you will be comfortable in most any motorhome. I say 2 thumbs up for rving and everything requires a certain amount of maintenance, rvís are no exception but they are no worse than anything else! Gary

2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #17

I think you will find that RVing is a great life style. Short or long distance, you will be someplace besides home and the same surroundings. The USA is big and has something for everyone. Enjoy your time together finding new things and exploring new places.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #18

A simple thought: The systems on a Class A are somewhat complex (Leveling, generator, fresh water, sewerage, batteries, chargers, inverters, etc). Getting familiar with the proper use of all the systems requires time, interest, and dedication. No rocket science, but quite a bit of technology. If you get frustrated easily with computers, complex consumer electronics and appliances this may be a challange for you. On the other hand, if you enjoy a bit of a challange in technical areas (as I do) you will probably find this a rewarding ADVENTURE.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Hi Jeff

We are in a similar position. I am going to look at purchasing our first MH next week. As previously posted, this is a resource for people with problems, and I have found it to be very informative and entertaining, but not an indication of reliability. I don't look at this as a cheap hobby, but more of an adventure. Not so much the destination, but more the journey. I think that if you enjoy fixing things around the house, you will enjoy the motor home that much more.

Good luck in your adventure.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitti
Hi Everyone,
My Wife and I are in the market for a motorhome. It will be our 1st and I think we have narrowed it down to a Tiffin Allegro35QBA (it has bunks) or maybe a Tiffin RED QBA. If anyone has either of these motorhomes would you please give me the good and bad. Is the RED DP worth $50,000 more than the gas model.........Thanks, John & Vivian
I'm not exactly an expert but I will say this... We just went from a 38' Fleetwood Pace Arrow gas to a 40' Phaeton and the difference is night and day!

I had all these ideas in my head about why I wanted to stay with a gas coach and most turned out to be wrong. I wish I had found this site before I bought the Pace Arrow. The PA was a good learning experience but there is no comparison to our new DP. We got the QKH - it has bunks too!

BH
Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
Hi Jeff

We are in a similar position. I am going to look at purchasing our first MH next week. As previously posted, this is a resource for people with problems, and I have found it to be very informative and entertaining, but not an indication of reliability. I don't look at this as a cheap hobby, but more of an adventure. Not so much the destination, but more the journey. I think that if you enjoy fixing things around the house, you will enjoy the motor home that much more.

Good luck in your adventure.
I see you live pretty close to me. I don't know where you are looking for coaches but if you don't have a trade-in and want to get a coach at or below wholesale check out Inventory. We purchased our coach from them and got a sweet deal.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #22

From past exp, (2 trailers,2 gas motorhomes, 2 diesel m/h's) take your time finding what will fit your needs the 1st time, rv's of any kind are costly and every time you trade up it will cost. If you are not sure you will enjoy the rv, you should rent one a time or 2 to see if you like it. You get your value from using it, if you leave it sitting it becomes expensive yard art. To answer your question about Forest River I had a real bad exp with them on a 5th wheel, but they are one of the few that are still around.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Jeff.....I looked at the model you're interested in and see that it has an all in one bath. We have a similar setup and really like it. Depending on the length of your trips, keep in mind that there is only a sofa for relaxing in the evening. Our coach has a sofa and a recliner. My wife gets the sofa and I get the recliner. You can turn the front seat and use it, but won't face the TV. This is just a thought if you're interested in using the TV in the evenings. If this is an issue, you can use a nice folding chair that reclines, like one of the LaFuma (sp) outdoor chairs.

Don't let the forum intimidate you. I'm guessing that less than 3% of the RVing population actually goes on line and discusses issues with their RV's. When they do, it's almost always going to be things that have gone wrong.
Don has a good point. We chose a model with two sofas with plans to remove one and put in two chairs. Make sure the floorplan will accommodate your lifestyle. I'm not one who has ever liked laying on a couch much, but my copilot alternates between the two. Go to some RV shows if you can and spend some time in different layouts. Stand in the shower lay on the furniture. See what the space is really like. We did this one weekend and we kicked all the tires till I thought the sales people would throw us out
Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Oh and Diplomat Don has helped me a lot on my coach through this website as ours are very similar coaches, but my copilot and I don't like the all in one bath. To each his own preferences. Home is where we park it, and we love it!
Old 05-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Jeff--- We have had the pleasure of owning all types and sizes of RV's except a DP.
But; We really liked our first class a new 2000 Allegro., but do to hard times had to sell her.
She was followed by a used 33ft Jayco TT, Then new 2006 - 35ft Jayco 5th, then new 2007 -38ft heartland big horn with 4 slides. We loved them all but not as easy as the MH. So now we opt for an almost vinetage 94 Winnenbago Vectra. Sure we have had some repairs and updating to do on the Vectra.
My DH was a mechanic for semi years back. I am the computer geek so we have worked through any problem that arises. I hope you just take just the info you think you need. Only you and your DW will know what is right for you. Take your time. Try before you buy if you can. Borrow a rig from a friend if renting seems to much. Or go with a friend.
Just enjoy.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitti View Post
Hi Everyone,
My Wife and I are in the market for a motorhome. It will be our 1st and I think we have narrowed it down to a Tiffin Allegro35QBA (it has bunks) or maybe a Tiffin RED QBA. If anyone has either of these motorhomes would you please give me the good and bad. Is the RED DP worth $50,000 more than the gas model.........Thanks, John & Vivian
Hi, John: you might have more luck posting this under the Tiffin forums heading so actual owners can chime in to help you. (In short, that 50k gets you much more robust overall capacity, some additional interior amenities not available in the gas model like a residential fridge, etc., and a much smoother ride).

Jeff - I have similar concerns as you do as far as maintenance and found that the best thing I could do there was to get a "plan" before I pulled the trigger on a motorhome (which I have yet to get, btw!). I searched my area and looked for a few service and repair places so that I have a number of options for routine service or if I need anything fixed. Not a be-all/end-all answer, but just having that plan going in gives me an added level of comfort. Best of luck!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #27

Talking SUCCESS!!!! I Bought it...thanks to all for the great posts

Hi everyone and thanks so much for all the great posts! I have not been back here because I made the 250 mile drive originally mentioned and bought the 2011 Georgetown 280DS. We've spent the past 2 nights at two different campgrounds and put on some 200+ miles on our new to us MH. Other the first campground was pretty rough, it's been a great experience. We plan to stay in our current site for another 2 nights before going back home.

I think this is going to be just right for our situation. If we decide to get deeper into the RV lifestyle, we feel we bought this one at a good enough price that we won't get killed on the trade in.

Again thanks and I look forward to using these forums to get to know you all and RVing much better.

Jeff & Carol Preston
Forest River 2011 Georgetown 280DS
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Many happy miles and smiles to you both!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland, intimitadated, newbie