Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Love the light wood and the neutral color palate.

Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #16

Looks great. I also bought a ten year old coach a few months back and had thought about doing the same thing because some of the vinyl is starting to peel. Do you mind sharing what this might cost? I had talked to one body shop owner that I know, and he suggested that I consider getting new custom vinyl. I don't know what that would cost either. Paint is probably better in the long run. I'll be interested to hear how this works out for you!
BK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK53 View Post
Looks great. I also bought a ten year old coach a few months back and had thought about doing the same thing because some of the vinyl is starting to peel. Do you mind sharing what this might cost? I had talked to one body shop owner that I know, and he suggested that I consider getting new custom vinyl. I don't know what that would cost either. Paint is probably better in the long run. I'll be interested to hear how this works out for you!
Sure, I'll share my price... before buying this coach, I hit up just about every RV body shop in the LA area. Most of the estimates that I got after sending them lots of pictures was in the $5K-$6K range. But then I got a hold of RVReady4U in Temecula, which is a smaller shop that game me a more reasonable estimate of about $3200. That price is the same as the quote that I got to replace the decals, which I was seriously considering. I'm having them do a few extra things, which I don't mind doing since I'm getting what I think is a fair price to start with.

Besides, I just want to get this done before I start realizing how much I am spending.

Although these guys are 100 miles from me, I am going to go waaaay out of my way to let them become me repair shop. Besides, travelling 2 hrs in LA could be either 10 or 100 miles depending on the time of day.

Oh... don't get the decals put back on if you plan on keeping it for a while. The cost of new decals was only about 30% less than the cost of paint.
mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #18

I have more pictures to post from todays progress at the shop. I do appreciate them sending me pics along the way.

You can see the slight color change if you look at the original. The top mask is still grey, but the stripe around the front mask has been changed to a darker metalic grey, some of the lighter grey's have been replaced with a burgundy.

It probably would have looked good either way, but I trust the painter (who used to do full body paint for fleetwood.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #19

Burgandy seems popular in today's rigs. I'd love to see more blue and green make a come back. Heck he could have added more burgundy if it was mine. Imho there is too much black in today's rigs.

Edited to add

It also ties into your red bedspread.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #20

I think that's going to look great and your going to very happy with it.
I also think that is a very good price for a paint job.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #21

I'm jealous that is for sure! I would like to have the brown and gray (graphics stripe) in the center of the coach replaced with paint. The top and bottom half of the coach is full paint.

Attachment 50630

Attachment 50631

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
How do they make the masking tape bend so smoothly as shown in your pics?
It's not the same masking tape you can buy at Home Depot. Auto finish shops have it and one brand is called "Fine Line". It will make a very fine line with no creeping paint. It's also more 'elastic' than HD masking tape.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #23

We just bought an 02 HR Vacationer 34'. Didn't expect to buy one that "old" but it was another coach that had incredible care. Thank you to previous coach owners for passing on your "baby". Allows some of us to experience Class A living after all!! No toad yet...maybe the new Cherokee....I like them!
Cherokee1
cherokee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
Sure, I'll share my price... before buying this coach, I hit up just about every RV body shop in the LA area. Most of the estimates that I got after sending them lots of pictures was in the $5K-$6K range. But then I got a hold of RVReady4U in Temecula, which is a smaller shop that game me a more reasonable estimate of about $3200. That price is the same as the quote that I got to replace the decals, which I was seriously considering. I'm having them do a few extra things, which I don't mind doing since I'm getting what I think is a fair price to start with.

Besides, I just want to get this done before I start realizing how much I am spending.

Although these guys are 100 miles from me, I am going to go waaaay out of my way to let them become me repair shop. Besides, travelling 2 hrs in LA could be either 10 or 100 miles depending on the time of day.

Oh... don't get the decals put back on if you plan on keeping it for a while. The cost of new decals was only about 30% less than the cost of paint.
Not too bad. I might have to make a trip south. More like 1000 miles for me though. A good chance to get out of the Oregon rain.
BK53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like you found a great coach. I can't wait to see the "finished product." Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:40 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sir, personally I found the colors in you 2nd post to look really nice and with just the 2 colors and great shine too!!!! JMO.
We stumble upon ours while we were looking @ his 64 caddie. I went back a month later he still had it I bought it. I just wish it had the rear bedroom. otherwise very clean unit and I am happy. Yours is sharp, very sharp. Is that on a slide out on the rear of coach ?(two chairs and end table). I agree with the above post about needing more greens, reds, blues. Yes black is nice but you can't keep them clean. I really can't wait to see the your finished product and what a great price. It cost me $1,000.00 to have the trunk lid on my 99 deville repainted (sm rust spot) and your paying $3200 WOW
for sharing, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Appears you have found yourself a real gem. Great looking coach. Can't wait to see the finished product. Enjoy all your future adventures.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #28

OK... I got an updated picture. They are still buffing it, but I can see that the colors have darkened up and really looks good if you ask me.

I pick it up on Friday and will take more photo's then. The side by side comparison will be really good.

Tags
class a, paint