Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Just how helpful are brokers?

Not an owner yet but hopefully before the year is out. Def plan on going fulltime. We keep saying this is our last winter on the farm. Being newbies we are trying to learn as much as we can so we can make a good choice when we buy.
There are a few things we want and wondering if a broker can search through the many coaches to find what we want.
We'd like big, 40' or bigger, tag axle preferred.
We'd like a center door instead of the normal bus entry
I've even seen some with a door on the left side for the driver, I like that.
Must be diesel with a good chassis and a basement but not overloaded.

Since we have all these peculiar requests, I thought a broker might be the way to go but not if they are going to BS me just to sell what's on the lot.

Your thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and stay sharp.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxsyjumper View Post
Not an owner yet but hopefully before the year is out. Def plan on going fulltime. We keep saying this is our last winter on the farm. Being newbies we are trying to learn as much as we can so we can make a good choice when we buy.

There are a few things we want and wondering if a broker can search through the many coaches to find what we want.

We'd like big, 40' or bigger, tag axle preferred.

We'd like a center door instead of the normal bus entry

I've even seen some with a door on the left side for the driver, I like that.

Must be diesel with a good chassis and a basement but not overloaded.

Since we have all these peculiar requests, I thought a broker might be the way to go but not if they are going to BS me just to sell what's on the lot.

Your thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and stay sharp.

The things you list as "important" are not really peculiar.
1. 40' or longer with a tag is common.
2. Center door is tougher. Alpine Coach who is out of business built some. Alpine coaches are high quality. Holiday Rambler also built some. Don't know of any current coaches with mid door.
3. Never seen a diesel class A with a driver door.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

I agree fully with Steve's comments.
Also, if you are new to Class A coaches, you might want to have a look at this site. I used it during my search for our class A and found it very helpful to sort out the wheat from the chaff so to speak. The cost is $150 but was money well spent in my opinion. Especially if you have no prior experience with these things.
In the end it boils down to what suits you best in terms of floor plan etc but this data base will give you a lot of good information to steer you in the right direction in so far as quality of build and possible handling characteristics etc.

Good Luck in your search.

RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs
Old 01-12-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The things you list as "important" are not really peculiar.
2. Center door is tougher. Alpine Coach who is out of business built some. Alpine coaches are high quality. Holiday Rambler also built some. Don't know of any current coaches with mid door.
3. Never seen a diesel class A with a driver door.
Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
We also wanted a side center door and a driver door. after looking at many of the used MH we finally settled on one older but better IMHO> so we have it all now. Side center door and the driver door. it's great.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:09 PM   #5

Thanks Steve. I don't see many mid doors and I'm thinking because of the slide outs maybe. If we have to go with a front bus entry I definitely don't want a forward TV for everybody to bang their head on when they come in.
Brother in Law had a big coach and I remember every time someone entered 2 or 3 people would call out "watch your head" haha. Thanks again
Old 01-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure how much help a Broker can be.. An RV show or two might help as well.

Brokers work on Commission thus they are encouraged to get you the most EXPENSIVE motor home on the lot.. May or may not be the best option.

But if you have not the time to walk around a few acres of show rooms.... Might be your best choice. . No sale = No pay for the broker after all.

Since you are looking to go the class A route I won't bother with the old "No Problem" when you ask "Can my truck tow this".

There may however be a "No problem" when you as about towing a car behind the motor home. (And in fact there may be no problem)

Remco Towing (Google them) Go to the Store link, enter the particulars of your car to be towed, They will tell you if it can not be towed 4 down, if it can then

You need tow bars
Lights
Brake system (With a Diesel with Air brakes consider the M&G system for your towed, if it fits)

and optionally some modifications to the drive train, REMCO will tell you about those, I have towed two different cars

On one I used an axle lock, this is technology older than I am (I'm in my 60s) and works very well, When you get ready to tow you basically turn the car into a trailer, NO power to the wheels, No connection to the engine/transmission, Tow in park,, Rear wheel drives get an Drive Shaft Disconnect,, Same idea, also technology older than I am.

My current car has a Lube Pump, this means I tow in neutral and the transmission spins, but the pump (electrically operated from the Motor home) keeps things cook and lubricated.

(I like the disconnect/lock better but hey, that is me).

Some cars however, should never be towed 4 down.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #7

Very good advice wa8yxm, thank you. The towing is good to know. Not sure about at first but eventually I'll be towing my car in an enclosed trailer.
As for the brokers, I'm sure it's like everything else, some bad and some good. Just trying to gather info right now and so far everybody has been extremely helpful here.
Thanks again and stay sharp
Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Punxsyjumper, you've had some good responses so far. I'm not sure you really need a "broker" as a lot of questions can be actually narrowed down by posting on a forum such as this one and you can probably do your own searching once you've gathered enough information to know what is possible and what isn't. Half the fun for many of us is searching around and doing essentially what a broker might do.

Personally, I don't recall ever seeing a 40'-plus tag axle DP coach with mid-entry access and driver's door. I don't think there is such a thing unless you have one custom made.

Finding one without the TV mounted above the dash will be easy these days. A few years ago, the vast majority had the TV mounted in that orientation but that is no longer the case. In fact, it is almost a rarity to see a TV in that position now.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #9

I had a very positive experience with the help of a Professional RV Salesman (not a Broker, but can serve in the same way). After we came up with our short list Manufacturers and the models we were interested in, along with the specific model year ranges for each, we started out hunt. (We were buying used.). After several months of calling, driving, and one time flying to go inspect an RV - I felt I wanted to get some help. I asked on several boards, and came up up with a list of three Professional RV Salesman, by chance two of the three were in the Southern California area. I called and talked to one up the coast from where we were, and felt he would have been good to work with. I never followed up going in for a sit down with him, due to the second person in Southern California was a 45 min drive away. So I called and made an appointment, and went in for a Meet & Greet. This was Steve Wilson of Holland Motor Homes. We sat down for 20 mins, and then he finally asked if he could see the list of what we were looking for. (We were both sizing each other up at this time.) He looked them over, asked a few questions, then asked 'Why and how did you sort down to this list?'. I explained how we came up with a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's, then went to several shows, and RV sales lots to review and drive different models, over about a 8 month period, before coming up with the 'Short List'. He said great list, and asked if he could suggest a few more. He did, and I explained they did not pass the DW Galley 'Must Have' items.

I'll stop here on the background. But specifically a good Professional RV Salesman can help a great deal. (And gang, they may not be many of them, but honest professionals do exists. Those that are in it for the long haul, referrals, repeat sales to the same client, etc.) Why and how can they help? They know of coaches that you will never see advertised. These could be from a former customer ordering a new coach, and trading in their old one. That process can take months, but if your not in a hurry, and the trade in coach is a good match for what you want, you have the inside tract on getting this before it even hits the lot. Another source is those coming in on consignment. (Our coach we drive today, turned to be one that was on our Short List, and I went over the rig before they had prepped it for sale. And started due diligence on the mechanical inspection.) They also have a network of other professionals, that they can do 'good old boy' calls to. This, is how many times, they can help you find a coach that will never be visible online For Sale.

Long way of answering that with the right person, a Broker/Professional RV Salesman - can help...

On the mid door issue (Concur that Driver Side door maybe a no find...), I think I recall Newell had a mid level entry on some years and models?

Best of luck on your hunt,
Smitty
Smitty
Old 01-13-2015, 04:27 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think a broker can help any more than any other "professional RV sales person", but those pros are few and far between. Most are just sales guys, trying to sell what they have, not what you want.

A drive side door is vastly over-rated, in my opinion. Basically intended as a sop to newbies who want to feel like they are in their car (Huh!). I had a coach with a driver door and it was awkward as Hell. In any case, you aren't going to find a 40 foot diesel with a driver door, so forgedaboutit.

Tag axle come when the weight of the coach exceeds what a 20, 000 lb rear axle can handle. If you feel a tag is desirable, you need to shop for heavy coaches, which are mostly those over 40 feet. There were a very few really heavy 40's, but the tag costs you a pair of storage bays and that's not a good tradeoff.

A mid-door floor is not widely available because it limits the possible floor plans severely, especially in coaches with 3-4 slides. If you want it just because of the head-thumper TV thing, just get one with a slin LCD tv and the problem goes away. If the coach you like still has the bulky old CRT, get it replaced. Not a real big deal. Or look for floor plans that have the tv elsewhere. For example, American Coach made them with tvs that rise up from the floor for a few years (around 2000).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Smitty jogged my brain. He's correct. Newell does have "mid-entry" models. Look for their "M" -series. There should be 3 or 4 floorplans with mid-entries.

1st edit: I've attached the floorplans from their website for the current model year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1.png
Views:	68
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	83267   Click image for larger version

Name:	M2.png
Views:	70
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	83268  

Click image for larger version

Name:	M3.png
Views:	61
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	83269  
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #12

I have a safari simba 39 ft. It has side mid entry but is a FRED. Think it's pretty rare to find a mid side entry in a pusher.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:05 PM   #13

All great advice and I thank every one of you for taking the time to help us. Thanks.