RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #1

Just how safe are Class A's

I have seen people say that the whole body of the class A is just designed by the manufacturers themselves, including the drivers cockpits. Is it true that they never really check it's durability and it's effects after collision?

The biggest class As are basically converted buses right? So those pushers are still crash tested by bus manufacturers?

cktyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Member since 2005

Jayco Owners Club
Have a look at this recent, lengthy, discussion on that very topic;

Do you feel safe in your class A?

Old 09-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Motorhomes are not buses, very different use/structure. Large vehicles are not crash tested and aren't really designed to protect the occupants other than seat belts. The only advantage you have in a crash is that you have the advantage of greater mass than what you usually hit. However, if you are hit by a truck, you lose that advantage.

If you want something that is crash tested, equipped with air bags, and designed for safety, the Mercedes Sprinter chassis used for small Class C motorhomes meets all of those requirements. But then again, it's not a class A.
luvlabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #4

Another danger in a MH crash is that any non-secured items would fly around inside which could be deadly to any occupants.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 PM   #5

https://grizzlylaw.com/2013/06/25/rv...sh-worthiness/
Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm probably safer in my Class in a frontal crash, airbags and all that. Unfortunately after my second semi long trip in the ride just wasn't good and I parked it and bought my Class A, as different as night and day. Haven't driven the class C since other than to move it.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Have a look at this recent, lengthy, discussion on that very topic;

Do you feel safe in your class A?
Thank you
cktyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We feel much safer driving the Class A than driving a car! I like the idea that we are much higher off the ground than the average car, and in the case of a head-on collision the main impact would be below us. As someone else pointed out, we lose that advantage if the other vehicle is a large truck or bus!

I saw a report not long ago where a Class A went head-on with a car. The occupants of the car were killed but the Class A occupants only suffered minor injuries.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
hrw

None of would be reading this thread if we collide with another Class A or Truck. That would be ugly. Simple though, if 50,000 pounds collides with 6,000 pounds..., I prefer to be in the Class A!
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #10

Like any other vehicle, a class A motorhome is just as safe as the driver behind the wheel. Having a wide range of vision and watching further ahead will alert a good driver to changing conditions along with less than careful motorists. How you react can determine how safe your vehicle is regardless of what you're driving.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Like any other vehicle, a class A motorhome is just as safe as the driver behind the wheel. Having a wide range of vision and watching further ahead will alert a good driver to changing conditions along with less than careful motorists. How you react can determine how safe your vehicle is regardless of what you're driving.
RVBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:

I like that point of view even if its coming from someone called Crasher!
Old 09-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:

I don't think car manufactures and NHTSA would agree with that concept. Accidents can happen beyond any driver's control. If driver reaction were critical, there would be no need for seat belts, air bags, compartment containment, just leave it to the driver. If I were to set up a crash test looking for the best survivor results, I would choose the safest designed/equipped vehicle I could find and it would not be a MH or motorcycle.
I do agree that driver reaction/response can affect the accident outcome, but it doesn't make the vehicle safer. People have a miss-conception of feeling safer in a big MH, but compare a vehicle crash test (extensive reports are available) to a MH crash test (hard to find one). Bus accidents usually involve fatalities.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I don't think car manufactures and NHTSA would agree with that concept. Accidents can happen beyond any driver's control. If driver reaction were critical, there would be no need for seat belts, air bags, compartment containment, just leave it to the driver. If I were to set up a crash test looking for the best survivor results, I would choose the safest designed/equipped vehicle I could find and it would not be a MH or motorcycle.
I do agree that driver reaction/response can affect the accident outcome, but it doesn't make the vehicle safer. People have a miss-conception of feeling safer in a big MH, but compare a vehicle crash test (extensive reports are available) to a MH crash test (hard to find one). Bus accidents usually involve fatalities.
The result of any accident is relative to the size of the vehicles involved. A head on collision of a 40,000# motorhome with a 4,000# minivan would not be healthy for the minivan occupants. Which one would you rather be in? A similar collision between that same coach with a semi wouldn't end well for either. There some events that are bad no matter what you are in. IMO, the driver is still the most influential safety factor of any vehicle.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a