Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Just My Luck/Fuel Prices Up

Great! MH been sitting for the last month or so and could have driven down to the station to fuel it up but was waiting for prices to come down a bit. Now we're leaving for a vacation up north and what happens last night? You guessed it, prices jumped at least $.15 -$.25 OVERNIGHT! Blamed it on the refinery problems. What does that even mean? This is getting out of hand folks. I mean really, the gas station buys fuel at $X per gallon and has full tanks, then, raises the price overnight and makes $$$$$$$$ on their fuel that they bought for a lot cheaper. And us Sheeple just keep paying them without complaint. Lots of grumbling though. I'm NOT for more government interference but if they really want to help out the economy, GET A GRIP on the oil companys! OK, rant over, I've got to go fill my 200 gl tank now.

stich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sure hope you feel better, we all know where your coming from though. Have a great vacation.

Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The same thing has happened to us in the past. Have learned to fill up at most opportunities but sometimes, do not follow our own best judgment.

But just look on the bright side, the motor home seems to run much better on the higher priced fuel!

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36QSH Diesel Pusher, TireTraker TPMS
'08 Honda CRV Protect-a-Tow
burfurd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
True, sometimes regulations keep us out of the clutches of the most powerful who control the process and Congress.
2006 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40E Diesel Pusher 400HP
2013 Honda CRV AWD
Adaisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Sometimes breaking everything down to just go and fuel can be a pain to the body. I fuel when needed and have made it a habit to not park when the tank is less than half, until we are topped off.
2003 36' Journey DL 330 Cat, Harley Rider
Jim and Brenda Kirkland
Command Sergeant Major, US Army, Retired
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When the phone companies use to charge HUGE amounts for long distance the government called it a monopoly and regulated phone companies .

Long distance phone calls are dirt cheap now ...

The same needs to be done with oil companies they control the entire country with oil prices ... one could argue that they even control the government now

90 billion dollars in profit ... how much is too much ?
2011 Newmar Ventana with COMFORT DRIVE
2011 Jeep Wrangler with Blue Ox tow bars Roadmaster attachments
Charter Lifetime Member Good Sam Club FMCA/KOA/ Newmar Kountry Klub
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
I am totally amazed that the trucking industry does not shut this country down ! I am amazed the farmers of this country allows some agency to set prices for the goods they grow ! I am amazed the insurance companies son't just say if you get in a motorcycle accident and don't wear a helmet and have head injury " you arent covered, same with seat belts ! but maybe I wonder too much ? DO some things just make too much sense to be common sense ?
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
This past summer I drove to Fl, and used gasbuddy, Flying J, and love's websites to determine where I would fill up. It made for an easy trip, and saved me some money as well.

You might want to give it a try on a long trip.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
DO some things just make too much sense to be common sense ?
Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

Some things do not change, only the pages of the calendar.
2006 Monaco 40' PDQ
25' Haulmark V-nose enclosed car trailer.
Land Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Oil is a world commodity. Bigger than the President of the US. The world price is determined by OPEC, and the non-OPEC nations that have no such controls. Neither Obama nor Bush could do a damn thing about it.

The oil futures market is manipulated based on hunches, rumors, and politics. Even though supply and demand may be constant the price jumps depending on the confidence of the oil futures speculators.

Even if the pipeline were built it would take years and have little effect on gasoline prices.

The United States has been exporting gasoline for quite awhile now.....as you would expect it's all about $$$$$
2004 Silverado Duramax Six-Pac Camper
1999 Coachman Leprechaun
2010 ATC Race Car Trailer
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Forest River Owners Club
Leaving for a weekend trip and the gas just went up 50 cents a gallon in the past two days.... heading out for a long trip next week, will wait till we cross the state line (out of Cal.) before we fill up....
Russ & Melody
Tehachapi, CA
2005 Forest River Georgetown 37'5", Ford, 3 slides
rlawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I do believe that pipelines and new drilling do have an immediate effect on futures.
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3650
2011 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Bill & Sue
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
When I had my boat I would always fill on Monday, not waiting till Friday, On average I saved.
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #14
I asked my home heating oil company if he though the fuel prices might be going down and I should wait to fuel up. He replied "if I knew where the price of oil will be next week do you think I would have to be delivering oil for a living". Good point, commodities traders do very well when their right.

jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote