Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Just Purchased a 96 Beaver Monterey DP. Have a few questions

We just purchased a 30ft 96 Beaver Monterey with a 3126 Cat 300hp on a Magnum Chassis, the coach has 106 k miles and is in very good condition, a few q's I have are one the tires are Toyos that have about 800 miles but are dated 05, do these need To be changed out ASAP? Also noticed the belt is a bit Freyed and needs replacing and the radiator exterior and overall engine bay seems nasty. Also any tips u guys have or things for me to check over would be greatly appreciated, hopefully I bought a good foundation we will use it occasionally but not a lot . I am a. RV newbie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard.

Tires are probably in need of replacement. Manufacturers recommend no more than 10 yrs and many say 7 yrs.

Get some Simple Green, soak the engine, radiator and Charge Air Cooler down and rinse it off with water.

If you use the google search in the tool bar above and type in tires, or 3126 you will find numerous threads on those issues.

Congrats and best of luck with your new to you rig.

Enjoy your adventures and be safe.

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Having owned a 2002 Beaver Patriot... REPLACE the tires ASAP!! I would HIGHLY recommend a CAT repair facility to replace the belt and go through the engine examining all belts, hoses, connections, ETC. They will also check the engine for faults and firmware upgrades.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

Realized it needs a new steerng box , have scoured the bet but not much info out there ? Anyone with a a eager replaced the steering box ?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I suggest you check out the Beaver Ambassador Club. They are a great help when it comes to Beavers of any year. All owners and a ton of knowledge about Beavers. There is a membership fee but well worth it. You will not be sorry.
Beaver Ambassador Club
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #6

Hi Trey

Glad to have you here with us.

Your tires are overdue to be replaced. A blow out is not a pretty thing to have happen. Besides getting it replaced on the road will be more expensive. If your belt is showing signs of fraying then replace all belts. Have your cooling hoses checked as well. A broken belt or hose will have you sitting on the roadside.
Good luck with your rig and Happy Tails!!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey193 View Post
Realized it needs a new steerng box , have scoured the bet but not much info out there ? Anyone with a a eager replaced the steering box ?
What's wrong with the steering box?

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
You will find this information in the Monaco forum.
Congratulations, safe travels, enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #9

Guys thanks so much for the info . I will join the ambassadors club ASAP. Jim if I have 2 guys one turning the wheel while the other is under the coach u can see major play/slop in what looks to be a pivot point area where a heavy duty arm mates up with what I think is called the steering box which is mounted to the frame. Also a lot of free play when driving the coach and when a descent bump is hit the steering wheel jerks. Just an uneasy feeling . I spent last weekend cleaning this thing up , have tires ordered so main things now are steering issue and getting the water working and changing belts and greasing water pump pulley. Thanks again for all the info keep it coming fellas.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey193 View Post
Guys thanks so much for the info . I will join the ambassadors club ASAP. Jim if I have 2 guys one turning the wheel while the other is under the coach u can see major play/slop in what looks to be a pivot point area where a heavy duty arm mates up with what I think is called the steering box which is mounted to the frame. Also a lot of free play when driving the coach and when a descent bump is hit the steering wheel jerks. Just an uneasy feeling . I spent last weekend cleaning this thing up , have tires ordered so main things now are steering issue and getting the water working and changing belts and greasing water pump pulley. Thanks again for all the info keep it coming fellas.
Can you tell what brand of steering box you have? The TRW steering box has an adjusting screw to be able to eliminate play in the box. Unless the play is in your pitman arm joint. The issue of the steering wheel jerking when you hit a bump, I don't know the answer to that, except it sounds not right to me.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 AM   #11

I have a 99 30' monterey. You should have the alignment checked and the steering issues addressed professionally. The 30 footers do not have enough weight on the front axle and can be twitchy, proper alignment and removal of play are a must. Make sure caster is in spec, even if it requires a lot of work - too much will have you chasing your tail.

If the brakes seem weak I have a procedure to fix that. PM me when you get that far.

If you are in mountain country I'd pull the radiator so it and the charge air cooler can be properly cleaned. They're hard to keep cool in the desert summer pulling grades if the coolers are dirty.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #12

If I have a chance tomorrow after work I will crawl under it and snap a pic, would be nice if its just an adjustment issue, also I think I saw where the box may have a grease zerk as well. Great info and yeah brakes seem just ok but nothing to brag about so will pm ya when time comes .
Old 08-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #13

Trey,
We had our chassis overhauled last year at Country Coach. They found several rubber bushing that had deteriorated, and the rear shock were bad. Front original shocks were ok, although they had to replace the bushings in the front shocks. Since yours is the same vintage, you may need to get this checked out. Belts, cooling hoses, and hydraulic hoses also need to be checked.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #14

This is the cone shaped piece that has all the slop up where the arm attaches when u move the steering wheel back and forth. Is this the steering box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	71075  

Tags
beaver, purchase