Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Just to clarify....INVERTER question

I got thrown for a loop while at a MH dealer looking at a coach. Saleslady (40 years experience, hence no photos ) told me that changing from the not-cold Norcold to a residential wasn't practical........

.......because in order to change to residential, the coach needs another set of batteries AND an independent inverter. Am I nuts for thinking that this is pure BS, or did I just learn something?

P.S. raining cats/dogs, so couldn't do the obvious thing and take a look.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #2

Depends on what coach you were looking at. And. What it already has in it.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Depends on what coach you were looking at. And. What it already has in it.
It was a Country Coach Inspire. Ad photos show 4 or 6 6V coach batteries with a Xantrex 2000w inverter.

No auto-start on the genset (that she knew of), if that's a factor.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
A 2000W inverter with 4 6V will run a residential refrigerator with no issues.

Brian

EDIT: Here is one post on this forum talking to residential refrigerator amp usage

The refrigerator draws about 11 Amps DC. This will change depending on outside temperatures. If the refrigerator runs 50% of the time, in theory I need about 55 Amps DC in a 10 hour period.

4-6V should provide about 400-500 AH of capacity (battery dependant). I usually try to run in the top 50% of battery capacity - 200 to 250 AH.

An auto generator start (AGS) feature is a nice to have, not a requirement for this case. I have my AGS disabled.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
could be they simply were not interested in the fridge swap. It is not easy to get a residential fridge into a motorhome.

On the other hand, residential fridges do certainly require plenty of power and of course it is 120VAC power. 2000 watts (16-17 amps at 120VAC) from the inverter is a fair amount depending on what other things you use. You could do you own energy audit to determine the amount of capacity you would need under either circumstance. An important piece of information is whether the 110 uses in the coach use the inverter exclusively (like mine) regardless of using shore power, generator power or on battery power. If this coach switches between inverter and other 120VAC sources, the overall demand would be less, assuming you plug in or use the generator. In any case the amount drawn from the batteries would not change dramatically because either fridge would use battery power when not plugged in, (or would you use propane for the fridge?).

My old residental fridge draws about 3 amps (more when the icemaker cycles and probably more at startup), a TV may draw 2 amps, a coffee maker, hair dryer or microwave can draw 12 amps each. Computers, cell phone chargers, DVD players, satellite receivers, etc. also add to the tab. I run all these things off my 2000w inverter, but never the big draw appliances simultaneously.

The Xantrex may be a modified sine wave inverter. While your fridge will likely work with this, a pure since wave inverter is much nicer to many of the things we wish to use in our homes away from home.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

The MHs I'm looking at are around 10 years old. If I get a residential refer, can an AGS be retrofitted while the inverter is being wired up?

We are rarely without SP, but if I go to the trouble to replace a refer, I want to upgrade surrounding systems if I can.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Many AGS sytems can operate most RV generators whether they have an inverter or not. You do need two sets of batteries (house and chassis, or a separate generator start battery). Wiring is straightforward, but running the wires can get involved as they need to be connected to both sets of batteries, the gen start switch, the control module and maybe a thermostat.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=bamaboy473;2668693]The MHs I'm looking at are around 10 years old. If I get a residential refer, can an AGS be retrofitted while the inverter is being wired up? [QUOTE]

Absolutely. As a note only: Charging system/Inverter (EMS), AGS system gauges, onboard thermostat for Heating and AC, and an independent temperature gauge to measure inside of coach; all must be synchronized and integrated to get the most out of what AGS is designed for. Remember, if you depart the coach and lose power while you are away, AGS can back you up if set up correctly. To hot, to cold, voltage to high, voltage to low, even battery temperatures can be measured and put in the AGS system for monitoring. Greatest use is for pet owners I've read, as a backup of pets staying behind in the RV while owners are away. Also be aware you may need extra batteries for the refrigerator.

My only point was the right components must be able to work together, which might mean a few upgrades to get all to work together.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:08 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Some of the new MHs are putting in two inverters with four 6v batteries each. Others are putting one large inverter and eight 6v batteries. Still others are putting in one large inverter and four 6v batteries. I guess they all work.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #10

Who in the SE can be recommended to configure something that works right? This is not a DIY project; it's way out of my pay grade.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
With our Winnebago for the residential fridge they went from 4 12v batteries to 6 12v AGM batteries and the Magnum Inverter went from 2000 to 2800 watt. So looking at what Winnebago figured that the residential required and addition 800 watts of inverter capacity.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:04 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2000W Xantrex MSW inverter and 4 not so great batteries. I have no problems at all with my Fisher/Paykel refrigerator running overnight when travelling, but I do plan to squeeze in 6 new batteries when I get a chance.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #13

I have a 1998 Safari and have replaced then original Inverter with a newer Xantrex inverter and new batteries, I replaced the Nocold with a Residential fridge, my outlet was not wired into the inverter, so I purchased a 1200 watt inverter and another solar panel and controller from Amazon, built a nice battery box and added 2 deep cycle 6 volts, dropped all the wires down the fridge vent, drilled a whole and dropped the fridge cord to the compartment , when on shore power or running the Gen I plug the fridge in the outlet in the bay, when dry camping I plug it into the inverter. works great for me.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-28-2015, 05:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlan1112 View Post
I have a 1998 Safari and have replaced then original Inverter with a newer Xantrex inverter and new batteries, I replaced the Nocold with a Residential fridge, my outlet was not wired into the inverter, so I purchased a 1200 watt inverter and another solar panel and controller from Amazon, built a nice battery box and added 2 deep cycle 6 volts, dropped all the wires down the fridge vent, drilled a whole and dropped the fridge cord to the compartment , when on shore power or running the Gen I plug the fridge in the outlet in the bay, when dry camping I plug it into the inverter. works great for me.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
What did you do to charge the refer inverter's batteries?

Tags
inverter