Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #1

Just took out my new Samson GL283A tires

Well I went out and got 9 (tag axle and spare) of these tires for my RV. $2000 out the door. Just took my first trip with them. Not too long at 425 miles.

I have to say that they are a quiet tire. The ride was a little harsh on rough parts of the road. But I'm thinking it may be the 120 psi that the dealer set them at. I'm going to drop them to 105 psi or so and see if that helps. But overall I'm pleased with them.
70gsconvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 07:00 AM   #2

Made in China?

2012 Tiffin
Allegro RED 34QFA.....SOLD!
bmurph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
What size tire did you buy?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #4

Weigh your coach and set your tire pressure accordingly. 120# will give you a harsher ride than lower pressure obviously, but make sure you're not underinflated.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Community Moderator

my rig calls for 120 psi front and 110 psi rear. check the data sheet in your coach, mostly below the driver side window. it's safe to stick to manufacturer recommended pressures.

samson is a chinese brand i believe but i heard an ear full of good reviews. $2000 for 9 tires, that's a hell of a deal.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:26 AM   #6

Someone in our motorhome club bought six Sampson 235 80R 22.5 tires. He did not like the bumpy ride which resulted from the new tires being installed on his gas class A motorhome. He had the tires shaved in order to get a rounder tire. The shaving was done at a commercial tire place. I have heard a few people having this done on other brand tires with good results. As most motorhome tires are replaced because of age or side wall cracking, not because of thread wear, I guess that it makes sense to shave a small amount of rubber off of the tire for a better ride.

Happy Camping!
Jim

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:36 AM   #7

I just returned from a 3,000 mile trip with my four year old Samson's. When the time comes for new tires they will be replaced with the same.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlAda View Post
Weigh your coach and set your tire pressure accordingly. 120# will give you a harsher ride than lower pressure obviously, but make sure you're not underinflated.

This is the down side of the tire. There is no inflation chart for the Samson's. Just what the max pressure is and the weight it can hold at that max pressure.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

I have new Samsons 245x70x19.5, They came with the coach when I bought it. My coach is a 20,500lb and I found that 90 psi is working perfect. Very nice ride and no over heating,swaying ect.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #10

Tires are 245/70R19.5. And also I decided to go ahead with bead balancing. That was a first for me. I wish I could look at that data plate by the driver's window, but the dingdong who owned the coach before me glued and screwed a cup holder right over it. Idiot. I figure I'd give the psi change a try. I've heard levels all over the place from 90psi on up. Coach is 18K dry I believe.
70gsconvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
SAMSON

Mike Brez don't tell too many people that about the tires! I have run Samson on my last Dutchstar & our Friendship. When it gets time to replace, they to will be Samson again.
If all the people find out about the tires, the prices will go up!
They are a great tire.
Larry
DeBUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also run Samson tires on my rig - they were on it (brand new) when I purchased it. I have experimented with tire pressure on both the front and rear and have settled in @90lbs front and 85 rear (also running 75lbs in rear air bags). While doing trial runs I did not notice much difference in noise or harsh ride. The next step I took was Koni FSD shocks - WOW is all I can say - rides like a 1970's Lincoln Continental...we are just floating down the road. FYI 2003 Coachmen on a w22 chassis.

Jim
Old 05-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gsconvt View Post
Well I went out and got 9 (tag axle and spare) of these tires for my RV. $2000 out the door. Just took my first trip with them. Not too long at 425 miles.

I have to say that they are a quiet tire. The ride was a little harsh on rough parts of the road. But I'm thinking it may be the 120 psi that the dealer set them at. I'm going to drop them to 105 psi or so and see if that helps. But overall I'm pleased with them.
could you give a clue where to get that price?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
This is the down side of the tire. There is no inflation chart for the Samson's. Just what the max pressure is and the weight it can hold at that max pressure.
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
Quote:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From TOYO:
Quote:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
Quote:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires