Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #15
There are several of us out there that have had trips and 'no issues' to speak of. We did a 7800 mile trip this last spring from our home Alaska the 'lower 48' and back and had no real issues. We scheduled a maintenance stop, for repairs that could not be done at home, but otherwise the trip went as we hoped it would.
While it is good to have trips with 'no issues' I pay attention to post here from travelers that have had issues. I have learned a lot of what to do and what maintenance to keep up on.
Safe travels everyone!

2009 38' Diplomat
CSM- retired, wife as co-pilot
Reka & Ali providing security (our 2 labs)
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2015, 07:53 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yea, The more I visit this site and read through the topics I was wondering if a trouble free trip was even possible. I wonder how often a trouble free trip actually is. Is it a freak thing or do you think it happens a lot. Sometimes this site is scary makes you wonder when all these problems everyone talks about is going to happen to you. If people read all these stories before they bought a rig it way scare them away.

Dave & Deb with furbabies Max & Myla
2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y ,2014 CRV w/Ready Brute Elite

FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I want to thank you all for the positive replies.
That was the idea here, not to brag, not to jinx, just to say "it went well".
When I read someone say no one does this, and if they did no one would reply, for me, it was a call to action.
I tend to be pretty positive. An optimist. Glass half full. The idea that no one would reply to a positive thread kinda makes us all sound like a bunch of sour puss's.

I figured there are more of us that stay positive, and that we can prove there is room in the rv message board world to be happy with our coach, and going on to page 2 here with replies, it does show that you can say you had a great trip, and people will support that. Thank you.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for posting this. PMA ( positive mental attitude ) is something I strongly believe in.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know who says that. We went on three 6,000 mile trips with no problems.

No big deal.

alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #20
We too had a very unaventful trip couple years ago ,from ill thru ind sw to myrtle beach then south from one SP to the other south to Miami fl across alligator alley then north up the gulf again all SP unto St George island-Panama city ,Destin, Gulfport up the Nathez trace and back to Channahon-A trip everyone with a RV should consider,all the SP's have ELECT,water, And dumps are reasonably priced and usually near the beaches,I think we made about 30 state parks,4500 miles,71 days, very interesting trip
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #21
Country Coach Owners Club
We just got back from a 2,400 mi trip out east (NY, VT, ME, MA) with no issues except lost a front hubcap.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #22
Just got back from a 2 1/2 month trip, 7500 miles in an 11 year old coach with no problems. I bought the MH in November 14 and prepared it over the winter. New tires, change all the fluids, checked out appliances, replaced filters and took off in the spring.

A Craigslist buy that has brought us great joy with very little cost involved. It doesn't take a 40 ft DP with all the bells and whistles to enjoy the RV lifestyle. It does take preparation and an understanding of the many systems involved. This website/forum is a great resource.
2004 Winnebago 30b Motorhome
Accompanied by a 2015 Ford Focus or a 2007 Ural Patrol or 2006 BMW/Hannigan Sidecar Rig
daydream37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #23
Just did a 3400 mile trip without problems. It rare to see a post without problems, kinda boring. You will only find problems when you are on a trip and then they get posted cause you want help resolving them. So, if you do a trip and have a problem on every trip then I would say you have some serious problems.

On my last trip I did do some maintenance on the rv. Brother in law had a open pit that I could drive the rv over. Change oil in rv and genny, replaced all filters and greased everything. That open pit was a game changer for maintenance. I am thinking this may have to be a yearly trip.
2014 Journey 34B
zman-az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #24
Most of our trips are uneventful. In the past 20 years of traveling in our several motor homes, there has been very few problems. I had an alternator fail twice, but could keep going by running the generator. The air compressor failed twice on a 99 Bounder diesel 13 years ago. The electronic accelerator failed on our 2011 Phaeton and had to wait in Oklahoma City four days for a replacement, but we read several books and enjoyed the down time. I had a flat tire too about 15 years ago. We also had a roof leak on our 2003 Phaeton that the company took care of, but we had no down time or expense because of it. Those are the only things that come to mind. We just pay the insurance, plan the trip, full with fuel and hit the road. It doesn't get any better than that.
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:18 PM   #25
We just completed a 3200 mile trip last month with a 14 year old fleetwood and no problems. Hope the same next time.
2008 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser
Wisdom is not a product of schooling, but of a lifelong attempt to acquire it.
Modela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
4500 mile trip to Florida down each coast the keys back up then back to Texas. With 3 grandkids. RV no issues grandkids different story but it was fun and they got to see a lot of things even Disney World.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2003 Sightseer 33L
Ford F53
Johndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:19 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Currently on our annual cross-country trip from Florida to Washington state, about 3,800 miles so far and with most everything going well. Had five of our grandkids for a week camping on the northern California coast, great fun. The two oldest girls pitch a tent and loved it. Took two other grandkids up the Oregon coast and they just flew home from Portland. Currently in Washington for four weeks with day trips in the toad. Having a great time! Thanks for the post, Life is Good!

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
Chris & Deb Werlhof, Venice, FL
2014 Itasca Ellipse, toad 14 Jeep Rubicon
FMCA F434058. WIT W161551
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:41 PM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
Getting the bugs out of my 2001 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40 PBD. Bought it in South Carolina June 15, and have put 7500 miles on so far. 4 door refer died, repairs were $775, Oil pressure sending unit told the engine no pressure, so lost turbo, $400, Microwave convection died, $475. Camera monitor died, $606, put on new Bilstein shocks, $550. Everything works perfect now, bought the coach for $48,000 with 65,000 miles and a $60,000 budget, so am ahead of the game about $9,000 and very happy. My only screw up was not paying sales tax in South Carolina, $300 max, which I was not aware of. AZ was 5.6%.

monacojim is offline   Reply With Quote