Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2014, 04:23 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kansas City Airport

I'll be coming from Atlanta to Denver and need to pick someone up at the Kansas City Airport on the way. I've looked at Google Earth and it appears I can leave I-435, use the "Circle Road" at the airport and return to I-435. I'll be in a 44 ft. coach with a toad. Before I experiment I'd like to know if this is possible or are there overhead issues, tolls, or is this something that can't be done.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Just a thought: I'd guess that there are bus style coaches that pick up at the airport so the length of your RV should be accommodated, key question might be the height. Could call the APPolice and ask about height restrictions if you know your height. Their number on the website is (816)-243-5215, JMHO

Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

I lived in KC for about 20 years and flew out of that airport couple of times a month. It is possible and there are shuttle buses that run to each terminal. I'm not sure I would do what you are thinking of doing. There are lots of cars driving thru and dropping/picking up passengers. You will not be able to get up close to curb to pick them up. The center islands are for commercial vehicles and police may not allow you to park there. Anyway to unhook toad and pick them up? There is a Walmart about 10 minutes south of KCI down I29 to Barry Road (east exit) and then drive back up to KCI. That would be a better approach for you and a heck of a lot less stressful.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:53 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just what I was thinking before I read Ken's post. The Airport Police are probably the best source of information. Although your coach might fit there could well be a restriction on towing. Who knows, in these troubled times there could even be a restriction on taking a propane tank that close to an airport.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

Agree with Tom and Gloria. Airport area not big rig friendly. Parking at Walmart and taking toad to airport seems reasonable thing to do. After retrieving passenger and reconnecting toad, would suggest taking Hwy 152 west to I-435 South, connect to I-70 West toward Topeka/Denver. This will expose you to the least KC traffic from airport area. I-70 (KS Turnpike) will be toll to Topeka then turns to Interstate (free) for clear sailing to Denver.
BobinKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I lived in KC for about 20 years and flew out of that airport couple of times a month. It is possible and there are shuttle buses that run to each terminal. I'm not sure I would do what you are thinking of doing. There are lots of cars driving thru and dropping/picking up passengers. You will not be able to get up close to curb to pick them up. The center islands are for commercial vehicles and police may not allow you to park there. Anyway to unhook toad and pick them up? There is a Walmart about 10 minutes south of KCI down I29 to Barry Road (east exit) and then drive back up to KCI. That would be a better approach for you and a heck of a lot less stressful.
Thanks for the information TomandGloria. I was thinking of staying on the Circle Road (LB Cookingham Dr) and not entering any terminal. I'm picking up my son who would have only a small carry on. Thinking of having him meet me on the curb, slow down and have him hope in.

Possible??
Old 07-16-2014, 05:26 PM   #7

If he walks out of the terminal loops I'm sure it's possible, but you may need to take a few laps if your early as you couldn't park.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #8

Sure, the thing you would want to consider is each terminal is a half circle. You would need to circle the terminals if he is not out front when you pull up. I'm not sure you would want to attempt getting up to curb, but you could stay on outside where rental car bus or hotel bus stop and slow down for him to jump in. Depending on time and day of week that airport can be pretty busy with lots of cars. I agree with BobinKS you would better off if you decide to pick him up heading south on I29 to Highway 152 west and pick up I435 down to I70. Then head towards Topeka and on to Denver. Keep us posted what you decide and if we were any help to you.
Tom
Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlee79 View Post
If he walks out of the terminal loops I'm sure it's possible, but you may need to take a few laps if your early as you couldn't park.
Here's plan B. I'll stop' fill up, eat etc. at the truck stop before the airport exit. Son calls when he lands. I leave truck stop heading to airport. Son makes his way to LB Cookingham Dr and is waiting on the curb. Slow down, pick him up and head to I-70. I've traveled many times from Atlanta to Denver and usually our second stop is Dear Creek Valley in Topeka. One of the best parks I've ever been in. But this trip we'll stop in Columbia for the UGA/ Missouri game.

Thanks again for all the information.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #10

Good plan. Enjoy KC BBQ. One of the many things I miss about KC.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My local airport has a cell phone lot. You have your passenger call when they're at the curb and you go pick them up. Maybe they have one.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
KCI is laid out with an outer circle drive for all 3 terminals with each terminal also having their own circle drive. If you pull off the exit prior to the terminals and pull back onto the on ramp, you should be able to sit on the on ramp until you get your call. If you miss that exit (rental car exit) take the outer circle road past Terminal 'C' and go back to the exit.

Or on I-29 Northbound before you get to KCI exit there are several hotel parking lots you could sit in to wait his call and you would only be 5-7 minutes away. If you are coming from Atlanta, I would take I-435 north off of I-70 and follow I-435 to KCI. Again, right before the I-29 interchange there are several large Mfg and Office buildings you could find a lot to sit in also.

The circle drive at the Terminal I would stay in the outer 2 lanes and have him come out to one of the islands by the gate, way less traffic and less of an angle for you.

I also agree after you leave the airport, head south on I-29 to 152 West. Follow 152 West to I-435 South. 435 South to I-70 West. This route will save you several miles and much more direct route.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote