Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
cvbdsl's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 292
Keep or sell and buy again later.

OK, I know I'll get several opinions on this, but I was wondering what the general consensus is.

I currently have 2003 DSDP with 30K miles and it is in great shape. When I bought it just over a year ago the idea was that I would soon be retiring and we would become snowbirds in the MH. That's why I upgraded from my previous MHs to a 40 footer.

Well plans change and it seems I might be working for another 4 years and only be able to use the MH occasionally for a couple of weeks per year.

So here's the question -
Should I keep the MH (its paid for) and when I retire I have a 16/17 year old MH which would have sat most of the time (and would continue to depreciate probably another $20-25K). I'm also worried that it would require more maintenance due to its age when I am ready to retire.

or -

Sell it now and put the money aside so I can purchase a newer MH in 4 years?

My DW thinks I'm crazy to even be thinking this and believes it's a plot so I can by a SuperC Dynamax down the road

Thanks for any ideas.

Chris
__________________

__________________
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
JayGee's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 338
Do you have protected storage? Do you pay storage costs?
How much will you use it?

I would probably price it and if it sells great then if it don't you still got it.

In four years you will need to probably buy tires and batteries not to mention anything else that happens when something sits without use. Who knows, you may have no interest in using after retirement four years from now.
__________________

__________________
JayGee
Foothills of the Smokies
2005 Bounder 35E
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
cvbdsl's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
Do you have protected storage? Do you pay storage costs?
How much will you use it?

I would probably price it and if it sells great then if it don't you still got it.

In four years you will need to probably buy tires and batteries not to mention anything else that happens when something sits without use. Who knows, you may have no interest in using after retirement four years from now.
No, currently have it stored outside on gravel pad beside the house when not in use. After retirement I still intend to go south for the winters, especially after this one. Though you have a good point - and I also have to maintain my D class licence with air brake endorsement.

Chris
__________________
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Firebug5's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Salida, Colorado
Posts: 656
Hi, Chris.

Like JayGee said, price it a bit high and see if she sells. Only you know what the rock bottom price will be. I could not stand to have a moho that I was only gonna use a few weeks per year. Not worth the maintenance and upkeep, unless you folks really love the moho and want to retire in it.

Once she sells, start saving for that Super C Dynamax. I will not tell the wife that is the plan. Just remember, happy wifey, happy lifey.

Bruce
__________________
Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
znt1186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 490
I'm in a similar situation. Have an '03 Allegro Bus and planned to retire, but now have gotten a promotion and committed to 2-3 years longer before retiring. I have the maintenance up to date and we have updated the interior and electronics already, so I know what I have. If I got another one, I would need to start that process all over again.I plan to keep mine and use it when I can until retirement does get here. I do have covered storage, and keep it maintained and exercised. We will use it the same as you, maybe one or two trips of a week to ten days and maybe some long weekends thrown in.
__________________
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 10,467
I agree with previous post. If you can sell the motorhome and recoup what you paid for it or even make a profit I would do that.

Keeping the motorhome has costs that you may not want to incur. Thing like tires and hoses will need to be replaced , batteries, the list goes on and on.

Also the best thing for any motorhome is to use it. Problems always occur when they sit unused.

When you start to look for a replacement motor home in four years , when you retire you'll be able to find one that will have features that your current motorhome does not have and that can be a plus also. JMHO.
__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
cvbdsl's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 292
Just doing a bit figuring here.

A quick search found only one 2003 DSDP 4005 for sale for $62990 in the US.
None for sale in Canada.

Just expanded the US search to same year with similar DS models - average asking price $70320.

PPL sales within the last two years has one 2003 DSDP 4005 sold for $52495, but similar DS models same year have averaged $58577. All models sold have more than twice as many miles as mine.

NADA has a price between $52680 and $64665

Canadian dollar versus US is down about %25 or more so MHs here should actually be going up in price(??) this year, as most (all?)of our units, new and used, come in from the US.

OK, am I over thinking this?
I could ask for north of $65K and see what happens. If any offers make me happy ....... If not, I've still got a great MH.

Chris
__________________
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 209
What are you going to use for the next 4 years?

If replacing with a smaller less-expensive RV, there will be a money hit there too.

I'd have to have some form of RV to use in the interim. It is our preferred mode of travel.
__________________
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2013 Jeep JKU Toad
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
cvbdsl's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj23andout View Post
What are you going to use for the next 4 years?

If replacing with a smaller less-expensive RV, there will be a money hit there too.

I'd have to have some form of RV to use in the interim. It is our preferred mode of travel.
Good point - I hate staying motels/hotels. Maybe take a European cruise?
I don't think I would have an interim RV - probably not worth the investment.
In the past we have done vacations trips (in motels) in Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, New York. Or could save $$ towards a new MH.

I also currently live in a nice rural place, plenty of space with nice amenities, so who needs to travel (DW!!!). Staycations

I could also bunk with SIL in Florida until they kick us out.


Chris
__________________
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Firebug5's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Salida, Colorado
Posts: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
Good point - I hate staying motels/hotels. Maybe take a European cruise?
In the past we have done vacations trips (in motels) in Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, New York. Or could save $$ towards a new MH.

I also currently live in a nice rural place, plenty of space with nice amenities, so who needs to travel (DW!!!). Staycations

I could also bunk with SIL in Florida until they kick us out.


Chris
STAY WITH IN-LAWS? Forget about everything I already recommended, keep the moho.

Bruce
__________________
Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
OK, I know I'll get several opinions on this, but I was wondering what the general consensus is.

I currently have 2003 DSDP with 30K miles and it is in great shape. When I bought it just over a year ago the idea was that I would soon be retiring and we would become snowbirds in the MH. That's why I upgraded from my previous MHs to a 40 footer.

Well plans change and it seems I might be working for another 4 years and only be able to use the MH occasionally for a couple of weeks per year.

So here's the question -
Should I keep the MH (its paid for) and when I retire I have a 16/17 year old MH which would have sat most of the time (and would continue to depreciate probably another $20-25K). I'm also worried that it would require more maintenance due to its age when I am ready to retire.

or -

Sell it now and put the money aside so I can purchase a newer MH in 4 years?

My DW thinks I'm crazy to even be thinking this and believes it's a plot so I can by a SuperC Dynamax down the road

Thanks for any ideas.

Chris
if you're not gonna use it, get rid of it and put the money to work
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
cvbdsl's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
if you're not gonna use it, get rid of it and put the money to work
I suppose even at today's low interest rates, a GIC or something similar would at least pay a percentage or two? Reinvest every year or so. I might also be able to put a couple of $K per year to the pot to keep up with inflation. In Canada we also have a tax free (no tax on the interest) savings account option, but I wouldn't be able to put the full sale amount into it.

Primary reason to work the extra few years is that it is pensionable and would add about $10K a year to supplement my military pension. That would get me to at least to just above official poverty level - which will be a real hit after making close to six figures a year. Don't get me wrong - I have planned to live within my means, but I really do want to go south for the winters while I still have my health.

Chris
__________________
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvbdsl View Post
I suppose even at today's low interest rates, a GIC or something similar would at least pay a percentage or two? Reinvest every year or so. I might also be able to put a couple of $K per year to the pot to keep up with inflation. In Canada we also have a tax free (no tax on the interest) savings account option, but I wouldn't be able to put the full sale amount into it.

Primary reason to work the extra few years is that it is pensionable and would add about $10K a year to supplement my military pension. That would get me to at least to just above official poverty level - which will be a real hit after making close to six figures a year. Don't get me wrong - I have planned to live within my means, but I really do want to go south for the winters while I still have my health.

Chris
well, you're doing the right thing, taking your time and thinking it out... when the time comes you'll do whats best..
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Loudon Couny, TN
Posts: 465
I would sell it now for the reasons mentioned and just in case your life situation changes and motorhoming doesn't fit in. Then you will be trying to sell a much less valuable coach.
__________________

__________________
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.