Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

Keep or Toss Unneeded Items

We will never use the mattress pad that helps convert the dining room table into a small bed; the mattress pad for the overhead bed in our ACE, the queen size bedspread or pillows for the bed. As we get ready for full timing we would like to shed these excess, to our needs, items. However, we will be selling the RV at some time down the road -- do we really need to keep these. I've read a lot of threads on here that indicate no one will really look for these when we trade in for the next "last" RV.
So your opinion -- keep or get rid of?
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is one RV consignment place that has a form to fill out to value your rig. It does ask if you have the original bed shams and pillows. Don't know what it does to the value though. Personally that wouldn't matter to us but the missing conversion pad would.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No one probably "looks" for them.

But, you will get a better price, and find a buyer faster if they are there.

I personally have never purchased a used RV, so I never "looked" for them. However, every time I went to sell an RV, the more OEM items, and original non-mod it looked, the faster is sold and I always got the highest market price.

And, nearly every newbee always asks if the dinette can be converted into a bed! I'd hate to be the one to tell him, "if you go out and buy an insert to stuff in there it will work", "I threw away the original insert because I never used it"!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It can be a tough call. On the one hand, being full time you're going to learn that you just can't carry everything you might want to hang on to. This usually becomes clear when you sell the stick house.

On the other hand, folks above make good points about the importance of these things at resale time. One thing we used were those vacuum sealed storage bags. Maybe the space taken up by the pad could be reduced if it had all of the air sucked out of it for storage?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

If you are full time, with no base camp, storage area, or kids you can "entrust" with them, then by all means dump the stuff.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
If I was able to get rid of stuff I don't use, my attic and garage would be empty and I would have been a full timer years ago...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:24 AM   #7

While we're not full timers we went through the same discussion when we purchased our 2001 motorhome. We decided to keep the items and store them at the house. 12 years later when we traded in the motorhome everything looked brand new. I believe we did get more for the motorhome because of the way it looked both inside and outside.
In your case it would be a tough call. If you're short on space hauling those things around for several years could be a pain. There's also the chance they could be damaged and in the end provide no value at trade in time.

Is there any chance the items could be left with a relative or friend?
Old 02-07-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

I can only speak for myself, but we recently bought a used coach. If those items had been missing I would have moved on and not bought the coach we have. Understand you wanting to shed items you won't use, but there are likely a people like me who want the original items in the coach at the time of purchase. Some can be expensive to replace. Perhaps that is how you should prioritize what you shed, keep those items that are expensive to replace or are factory only items.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
If I was able to get rid of stuff I don't use, my attic and garage would be empty and I would have been a full timer years ago...
Boy, do I understand.

I am sure we have boxes labeled "stuff not to keep" and "pieces of string too short to save."

Living in Houston where there are no basements, this means a storage shed to supplement our attic and the 1/2 of our two car garage. So there's a shed rental for the RV; a shed rental for the boat; and another shed rental just for "stuff."
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #10

Thanks everyone, guess we will hold onto the items. The bedspread isn't that big a deal can be folded and placed in one of the upper cabinets. The overhead bunk can stay on the bunk we will just place stuff on top of it. Now I just need to find a place for that dang little mattress to convert the table to a small bed.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #11

When using the overhead bunk(above driver/co-pilot seats) be aware of the weight you're adding to the front axle. It's meant for sleeping not carrying stuff while rolling.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
No one probably "looks" for them.
Huh. Well thats what I thought too. Then one day when I was dumping some dead weight into the ginormous trash compactor at thousand trails orlando, I was corrected. And I'm glad I was.

There are a lot, really, a lot of older folks that live full time in their rvs because that's the best they can do (or want to do). Thousand Trails more than anywhere else has shown me that all across the country. What might be dead weight to me could easily be a handy item to one of them.

Anything I think someone can use I put it down next to the trash. It's I guess an unwritten thing because the compactor has a sticker strictly prohibiting it. It would be great to have a place designed for the hand me downs.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
We tossed everything that was "unneeded" ... didn't look back. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

My husband and I did a major lightening-the-load stint about 2 yrs ago. We had 25 years of stuff that collected in the closets, 2-car garage and the storage building. We sold a ton of stuff on Craigslist and donated boxes and bags of stuff to Goodwill and offered it on Freecycle.

We still have "stuff" to go through and sell or give away.