Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2016, 12:13 PM   #1

Keep or Trade

I bought a 94 Pace Arrow on a P30 chassis in 2008. It has less than 50K in mileage. I paid the loan off recently so it is 100% mine. It has been in outdoor storage with a RV cover on it since Aug 2013. I will be united with it in Sep 2016. I know it will need new tires and batteries. My question to all is should I keep it and put money into it or trade it on a newer used class A?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

As a former car dealer,........why trade? You WILL be taken to the cleaners, and get another payment? IF the coach suits your needs, it's much cheaper, and wiser to keep it, and keep it maintained.

IF you want "bigger, better, newer" (that's "want", not "need"), sell yours privately for CASH, and go buy another one with healthy downpayment.

Without research (you should do it), I can't tell you what is the difference in "trade in value" of your coach, and "full retail" (which you might come close to if selling to private party), but I bet it's substantial.

Trading it to the dealer is ALWAYS losing proposition. Selling it privately IS a hassle, but how much is your time worth?

In my book,.....no payments always wins!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
only u can decide that !
is the floor plan to your liking?
is it worth putting that much money into it?
Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlbaldloser View Post
I bought a 94 Pace Arrow on a P30 chassis in 2008. It has less than 50K in mileage. I paid the loan off recently so it is 100% mine. It has been in outdoor storage with a RV cover on it since Aug 2013. I will be united with it in Sep 2016. I know it will need new tires and batteries. My question to all is should I keep it and put money into it or trade it on a newer used class A?
Get rid of it and get something newer. I had a 1997 Adventurer on that same chassis and it was nothing to be happy with, brakes and all. Nobody can know what your financial situation is but if you like to get out in your RV and plan on using it then I would upgrade. As far as selling vs trading, I don't like to sell things, it takes time and is painful at times. I get the dealer to give me close to what I may sell privately for and let them have the fun of getting rid of it. And you must realize also that your old coach is 22 years old and not something a lot of people are after. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlbaldloser View Post
Since you asked, I'll offer another opinion, but only you can decide what is best for your situation......

IMO, a 22 YO coach on a P32 Chevy chassis that hasn't been moved in 3 years is going to be a money pit, at best. Even if your cover has survived the storage and was in the desert bone yard where they store airplanes, you're gonna need lots more than fresh tires and batteries. ALL the fluids will need to be replaced, and I would not think of starting it with 3 YO gasoline, so you'll have that to deal with.

Even if you spend the bucks to resurrect this thing, it is likely not worth more than a few thousand dollars, so you will be pouring money into this pit for almost no gain in value. Sell it to someone who needs a shelter and won't be driving it......that's my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I would intend to keep it but that's me and I hate payments. Uncover it and do an assessment and go from there. If you are a stranger to a wrench then sell as is.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:25 AM   #7

I think it depends if it still suits your needs and you like it. If so, I'd clean it up and do some maintenance to it and enjoy for years to come. It should last several more years once you bring the maintenance up to speed and once you do it, it will be done and last. Personally I hate payments so I try to avoid that money trap.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #8

Unfortunately i don't think it is worth very much. I sold my 1994 33 PaceArrow on the P30 chassis with 37k miles that I had for fourteen years with newer Hankook tires,batteries,Koni shocks,ipd front sway bar with Polly bushings on front and rear,Henderson rear trac bar,henderson super steer front coil springs,tie rods,idler arm,henderson super steer bell cranks,re did roof with liquid roof,poly glow on exteriour,flat screen tvs and interior was in mint condition. Put it on craigslist Sunday night first person that came purchased for $11,500.00 without even taking it for a ride. Held it for him until Saturday morning and he drove it away.
I didn't purchase a coach very much newer but I did get a diesel pusher and something higher up on the food chain. The things I hated on the P30 was the handeling and the wandering around and the lack of braking. We went to a lot of places with it and will always have some great memories.
So with all that said if you are going to get back into rving I would dump the Pace and start over.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Not to sound rude or anything but my question is if you haven't used it in 3 years, why do you want another one.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
Not to sound rude or anything but my question is if you haven't used it in 3 years, why do you want another one.
Good question and I wondered the same thing. Being in storage for 3 years and not gone to even look at it and see what is going on. May be in for a big surprise to say the least.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I have often wondered the same as I travel around the countryside passing thousands upon thousands of outside storage facilities over run with RV's that are in storage.

Why do people buy these things and then pay to put them in storage for what seems to be forever?

I have used mine full-time since purchasing it back in 2003 except for about 6 months once. I had so many problems with it when I got it back out that I promised myself that it would never go back into any type of storage again.

We are now looking at purchasing a home in Florida just for the 6 months of winter but it MUST have room for parking my coach with minimally a 30 amp power supply.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-01-2016, 09:27 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have often wondered the same as I travel around the countryside passing thousands upon thousands of outside storage facilities over run with RV's that are in storage.

Why do people buy these things and then pay to put them in storage for what seems to be forever?

I have used mine full-time since purchasing it back in 2003 except for about 6 months once. I had so many problems with it when I got it back out that I promised myself that it would never go back into any type of storage again.

We are now looking at purchasing a home in Florida just for the 6 months of winter but it MUST have room for parking my coach with minimally a 30 amp power supply.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Sometimes health enters into it, like it has for us. Took it out once in 6 months to fill the fuel tank (34 gallons is all it would take) and that's it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Dr4Film ----- Richard
We get to camp 25-30 nights per year. The rest of the time, the TT is sitting in one of those lots...
Old 03-02-2016, 05:15 AM   #14

I am in the military stationed in Germany. Could not bring it with me so I had to put it in storage. The RV is being exercised monthly. It has no issues other than needing tires and I want to replace the coach batteries and give it a complete servicing when I get back to the states. I am no stranger to a wrench and I do a lot of maintenance myself.