Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bounder View Post
I only have 16 inch on mine so My situation is different than most.but a lot of the areas I travel in cell phone service is spotty or non exist for several miles So if I lose a steer tire I'm stranded.
Class-C with 16" tires are about the same as 1-Ton dually Pick-up trucks. If you have solid level ground a good bottle jack will get the tire up enough to change it. I have rotated my tires myself but I had solid ground under the jack which is VERY important.
Know the GAWR and get a jack good got 2x that and you will be OK. I also suggest a chunk of 3/16" steel about 1' square to place under the jack. You will probably want a 2' breaker bar and appropriate socket. I suggest you do a test run at home.

I got all my tools at HF to save $$ as I don't expect to (or hope not to) change a tire on the road.

My 21' RV has space in the basement for a mounted tire so other than the time I am ready. Hope this makes it like having umbrella so it never rains

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #30

Two other options

Here are 2 other options for large spare tires on Motor Homes

Simpson Tire Mount - Carry a spare without a care.

RV spare tire carrier

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I purchased a tire with no rim from the previous owner of our coach. He had just bought a new Bus and it wouldn't fit. He sold it to us for $50. He told me he knew if he left it with the coach one of the salesmen would probably end up with it. Rather I had it. He also told me he bought it after sitting on the side of the Interstate in California for 5 hours while they hunted tire on a Sunday.
Tire in great shape. Carry it in between middle bay and fill it with small items. Not a full timer so don't worry about the room.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #32

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After watching my father struggle with many blown tires on their '58 Kencraft TT (way overweight for the OEM 15' tires) I became somewhat paranoid about tires. I have NEVER had a blowout on any RV I've owned. I only run Michelins, check my weights and tire pressures at least daily when on the move. I now have a TST TPMS system.
The only flat I've had on a MH was due to a leaking stem seal on a TPMS system (not the TST I now have)
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #33
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
We stopped carrying spares on the semi trucks over twenty years ago, when we switched from tube type to tubeless tires. We never have blowouts any more and they have 18 tires on every rig. If we get a flat on any drive or trailer tire, we just limp into town on the other dual tire. If we were to have a steer tire flat, we would just pull a tire off of one of the trailer duals and put it on the steer. I run the same on the trailers as the steer so they even match. I would do the same on the MH if it came down to it. Then just limp in slow on one drive tire on one side. On nothing but Goodyear tires. Been running them for over 20 years now on the semi trucks. And the MH came with GY tires. If I ever change them I will put truck tires on it and get rid of the RV type tires that are on it. It does not hurt a tubeless tire to run it flat along side a good tire in a dual setup. Just drive slow and take it easy.

"Limping" on one tire in a dual position just means you are fooling yourself. The "good" tire is now being operated at 100% overload. There are many documented cases where only one tire was replaced and the "un-damaged" tire fails a few weeks later. At that point the driver acts surprised there was a failure. Technically to Limp home you have to limit your speed to TWO MPH MAX.

You said "It does not hurt a tubeless tire to run it flat" Are you willing to back that claim up with a warranty to replace the tire if it is damaged?

You may have been lucky and had air loss when not fully loaded. You may have limped home with a 100% overloaded tire and some other driver suffered a failure when he pulled the trailer. Wonder how you would feel if someone servicing the flat tire was injured or killed?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastx View Post
Call it belt and suspenders, but I have both road service and carry the 22.5" spare below if I have the room for that particular trip. In the event of a blowout I don't have to worry about the availability of a compatible spare, nor will I be subject to "road rape" or paying exorbitantly for their tire.

Having said that, since I also drive on newer tires and always always check pressures, the spare is one of the first to go if I need the basement room for other more necessary supplies....
Curious, what are "newer" tires?

I have no where for a spare, and do not have one. I do have 2 choices for road service though, one with Good Sam and the other is on my insurance policy through Nationwide. So feel like I am ok, could always lock her up get in the toad and come back when service done, I assume.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles tuit View Post
Murphy's law:

If you carry a spare you will never need it.

If you don't carry a spare you will need it.

I carry a spare and have never needed it after 183,000 miles(knock on wood).
So true...

trode is offline   Reply With Quote