Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep the spare tire?

Our motorhome is a 2008 Winnebago 35J. We bought it used. There is an unused tire in the tire storage compartment. The tire space looks to be the perfect size for installing AGM batteries, solar charger, and inverter. I have no equipment for changing a 19.5" tire and the tire itself is 6 years old. Do I really need it? New tires are in the budget before we go full time next year. Isn't slime and a compressor enough to get me rolling in the event of a flat?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You do not need the old tire,what you need is COACH NET road service.
I don't know if a tire service will mount a tire that old,because of liability.
Merry Christmas,
Siggy

siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggyd View Post
You do not need the old tire,what you need is COACH NET road service.
I don't know if a tire service will mount a tire that old,because of liability.
Merry Christmas,
Siggy
That is what I thought too, shedding the weight of the tire would compensate some weight for the batteries
Old 12-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Every tire change I had was a blowout.(5 SINCE 1974) I always checked my tire pressure and took care of my tires. I would not leave home without a spare. I keep the tools I need handy and can change a tire in less than thirty minutes. Not bad for a 73 year old.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

I tossed my spare, and kept my smart phone.

However, I DO remove my tire/wheels once a year for checking things out, including six 22.5's, but find it unnecessary on the road.

Ed
Old 12-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

We bought road service with our insurance but my main concern is availability of a 22.5 tire if one blows. Just installed 2 new Toyos on the front and would like to carry one of the old ones just in case. We've considered covering one and strapping to the roof, building a rack for the front, or putting in the basement. The easiest is down belowe but we really don't want to give up the space
barryb
Old 12-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many threads here regarding whether to carry a spare with differing schools of thought.

Not having the tools, compressor, or physical capability to change the tire is not a factor. You should have a emergency road service plan such as Coach-Net, whether you carry a spare or not.

Myself, I always carry a spare. This ensures a tire is readily available when needed and mitigates having to pay a premium price when on the road for attire. Also mitigates ending up with a mismatched or tire I don't prefer.

In the end, its up to you to determine your priorities.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #8

Call it belt and suspenders, but I have both road service and carry the 22.5" spare below if I have the room for that particular trip. In the event of a blowout I don't have to worry about the availability of a compatible spare, nor will I be subject to "road rape" or paying exorbitantly for their tire.

Having said that, since I also drive on newer tires and always always check pressures, the spare is one of the first to go if I need the basement room for other more necessary supplies....
Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

With a spare tire on board, a blow out can be an hour's lost time inconvienience. Wihout a spare on board, a blow out can be a full day lost and the purchase of a very overpriced Chinese tire from the road service provider who has you over a barrel. you then get to purchase a real tire when you get somewhere.

I carry a proper, mounted spare. I have no intension of changing it alone on the side of the interstate.

Both tire issues I have had on motor homes in the last 20 yrs have been blow outs. Slime is next to useless. The compressor is useful on board for checking and airing tires while still parked.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you carry a spare until it is to old and never need it.
Cost more to throw it away and buy a new spare then any overcharge(road rape) of buying one when needed if ever.

I bought a new one from a service truck(sent by GS) after a blow out. And it was less $$$ then what I paid at a tire dealer when I replaced the other 5.

That was back in 2004. If I had bought a spare then for $348.59.
That spare would be 9 years old now and never needed or used.

I don't carry a spare(don't have space anyway) and have a ERS that will bring me a 22.5" tire when needed.
And at a reasonable price.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #11

spare tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
If you carry a spare until it is to old and never need it.
Cost more to throw it away and buy a new spare then any overcharge(road rape) of buying one when needed if ever.

I bought a new one from a service truck(sent by GS) after a blow out. And it was less $$$ then what I paid at a tire dealer when I replaced the other 5.

That was back in 2004. If I had bought a spare then for $348.59.
That spare would be 9 years old now and never needed or used.

I don't carry a spare(don't have space anyway) and have a ERS that will bring me a 22.5" tire when needed.
And at a reasonable price.
I think you have it figured out pretty well on the economic side. There's one or two more things to think about.
I had a blow out on the beginning of a holiday weekend. What seemed to be happening then, was every body was off in anticipation (I guess) of working later in the holiday weekend. So at 9:00 pm on Friday I called my auto club and they had a hard time finding anyone to come to our location in the middle of a city. Next since my tire was shredded I needed a tire and that raised the level of difficulty in helping me. So finally after 4hours along side the freeway in Tigard or, just out side another big city Portland a tire was supplied and was on the vehicle. So four hours isn't to bad in a mh --you have comfort a rest room communication-but there is also a safety concern being disabled next to a busy freeway. If I had had a good spare I could have been out of there in an hour, or less, but probably an hour.
Last the police told me that if it weren't for the fact that it was late and only about 1/4 as much traffic they didn't require me to be towed out of there, since I had already called for help. I preferred to fix the tire if I could, but guess there are very capable tow rigs-- it would have to be a big one cause I have a 40 foot Monaco.
So I do carry a tire and plan when it gets half it's shelf life to sell or trade to someone who'll use it right away, and then if I still feel the way I do now probably buy another spare.
So those are some things I can add to the thought process.

Loren
Old 12-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The time factor is definitely a consideration. If I fave a spare, in a couple hours I will be on the road again. Without a spare, it can potentially be a better part of a day or more.

Again as I commented, its a personal decide. Pros and cons either way.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
GKW

I guess if you carry a spare it would be mounted on a rim and inflated ready to mount? Having the proper size and preferred brand on board solves part of the problem if you have road service take care of the problem of mounting it and removing the failed tire. Fortunately I haven't experienced a tire failure yet, but I am having a hard time visualizing having all of the necessary equipment to change a tire on the road. I have the Good Sam road service so that is my solution , but I do a fair amount of traveling in Baja CA and wouldn't want to test the service down there. Best defense for me is tire pressure monitoring and keeping good tires on the RV and hope for the best.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ERS will swap a uncounted spare on to your rim, for an additional fee.