Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Keep valve to the ice maker from freezing?

Has anyone figured out a way to keep the solenoid water valve to the ice maker from freezing? It is in the compartment with the refrigerator and not much protection.
I found the solenoid water valve to the ice maker leaking. Must have frozen during the last cold spell on the trip back to Fort Worth from Pharr Texas. The weather went from 82 in Pharr to 23 west of Austin on 281 where we decided to get off the road as it was sleeting. I checked around the usual local RV places and they all wanted about $50.00 plus tax. Went on Amazon and got one for $23.00 shipped.
Not a hard job about 15 minutes after I got the part.
The part that took longer than changing the valve was cleaning up the rats nest of wires in this area. I just string tied the worst of it, making sure no wires were rubbing on sharp edges. Only found 4 places where the wires were run over sharp edges, 2 places the water line was rubbing on sharp metal. I still have to find a couple of small artist brushes to paint the drip tray and rest of bay.

(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/WILDEBILL308/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/th_IMG_20150311_125210_042.jpg)

After
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s300/WILDEBILL308/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-03/th_IMG_20150323_114430_533.jpg)

Bill

WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
BILL: Your solenoid valve is "different" from mine, but they all are essentially the same concept. I think you'll find the white tube with the wire and foil wrapping goes from the bottom of the valve and up to your icemaker. You can CAREFULLY unscrew the nylon nut that attaches the tubing to the valve, and allow the tubing to drain. It looks like your inlet (water supply) is the yellow tubing going into the top of the valve. If you disconnect that and cycle the solenoid a time or two, the valve body should be empty and not freeze. However, if you connect to shore water OR turn on your pump you will get water shooting out of this tube unless you cap or plug it somehow. On mine (Norcold) the water supply attaches to the valve with a standard female garden hose fitting allowing me to attach a short piece of garden hose with a wooden dowel and hose clamp as a plug. Obviously, this is a PITA and you lose the ability to make ice when the refer is "winterized" this way. OBTW, my solenoid was over $50.00 bucks at the cheapest online source I could find. The local RV dealer parts counter wanted $109.99 plus tax.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Any time I find a wire/hose rubbing on a sharp edge, I wrap it in a piece of an old junk water hose and secure the ends with strap ties.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
edgray, I find Amazon good place to find parts. Like I said $23.00 shipped was a great price. They had many outer types of valves so you should be able to find one.
You can see that their is foil and a heat wire on the line to the ice maker but someone had removed the foil from the intake side.
Cat320, My problem is I worked building F-35 jets in a previous life and just cant stand the mess and sloppy way these coaches are wired.
The problem was the cold came to me and I was on the road. It was 80 in Pharr Texas when I headed north up us281. When I got to where us290 goes east to Austin it was down to 23 and sleeting hard. Got off the road at Millers Creek RV Park and spent 2 days waiting for the roads to improve. Wasn't thinking about the valve freezing.
Bill
Old 03-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
There's no reason the solenoid valve has to be in the unheated area behind the refrigerator. You could move the solenoid inside a cabinet and just run the hose (with heat tape) up the back to the ice maker in the freezer. Disconnecting the hose at the solenoid should allow the hose to drain out of the hose into a pan laid under the valve body.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:38 PM   #6

Buy a 3' 120VAC heat tape; wrap the water solenoid and tape/zip-tie the rest to the ice-maker feed lines. No heat tape handy- use an old incandescent rope light, or put a drop-light in the compartment below the solenoid.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
... put a drop-light in the compartment below the solenoid...
That's what I do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
That's what I do.
That doesn't do much good going down the road. I am investigating a couple of fixes I will post more latter.
Bill
Old 03-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #9

run the heat tape off the inverter so its always on