Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Question Keeping DISH service while in storage

I have DISH in my MH.. I store the RV in my garage.. Problem if the Dish is not turned on for say 3 weeks, it will loose connect and info.. So every time I go out with the Coach, after I get the antenna on the roof set, I have to call DISH, and they send a new signal, then all comes in.. But sometimes we set up where we do not have good cel service. It gets to be a problem trying to talk to DISH SERVICE while trying to climb a tree, (trying to get a better signal on the phone)..If I turned the Dish on in the coach evert few days it would not go dormant. But my roof antenna will not work under a roof. So I was wondering:
My coach is housed in the same building as my house.. I have the outside Antenna that feeds my house.. could I not put a Y on the antenna that feeds my house, and Y off to feed the Dish box that in my coach. that way i could turn the tv on in the coach once in a while, and all would stay current . the disconnect when I leave.. Any one else know what i am talking about ? Thanks

2014 Integra 42RBQ
umsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #2

We have the same problem. What you are asking would work fine. We have a dish receiver in our WI home and the Home in AZ plus the one in the MH. We are about six months in each home and travel between homes with the MH along with a few side trips. It's a pain to have to call in after a few weeks in storage to get a new signal. It seems that my wife gets a new employee each time and we go through the same process over and over again. I am tempted to get it out in the open every few weeks just to reactivate the signal on it's own, but haven't done it. If you can split the signal as you said, that would solve your problem. Wish I could, my RV port is too far from the house.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

Not exactly what you are asking but could you just pull coach out night before leaving and connect?

Also ours has thus far connected after being on for a bit after a longer storage. (It's a PITA at first as wife likes to watch TV while traveling and it can take a bit for it to get a authorization signal.)

Tom
Old 07-23-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
I also know your pain. When dish started this system they had a Rv dept. you could call the Rv dept. for a signal to be sent,without going thru the THIRD degree.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
There are a few options.
1. Take the receiver inside and connect but that may be more trouble disconnecting and moving very few weeks.
2. Add a second dish at storage building these can be picked up for next to nothing.
3. Make use of existing dish but it more than just adding a splitter to an existing cable.

I have had the problem a couple times and it was very easy to call dish and let them know to send the auth codes again.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #6

Easiest is to mount a second fixed dish on your garage, and get it aimed well and locked in position. very little power use just to connect it to receiver and leave it turned on. And the good part, is that if you are having any reception problems, you have a known good reference point to start from!!
Noelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Prior to retirement and using the coach more I had this problem. Started making sure the Dish was functional became part of the leaving home preflight. Would call as needed at that time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
Not exactly what you are asking but could you just pull coach out night before leaving and connect?

Also ours has thus far connected after being on for a bit after a longer storage. (It's a PITA at first as wife likes to watch TV while traveling and it can take a bit for it to get a authorization signal.)

Tom
Thanks Tom,, 2 points we don't watch tv on the travel, and we do that (pull out and connect, before we go,, But our antenna on the coach is not a dome, but has to raise, search, then lock in. The trees round my drive makes it hard to find the SAT. so we have to go down the road to search.. Just looking for an easier way....
Old 07-23-2017, 05:45 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
umsman,

We have dish service at home and use a portable King 4500 tailgater and receiver for our satellite service one on the road. I can't get a signal when I'm parked at home with the portable, to many trees.

Our house has a roof mounted dish that has three leads coming off the LNB but our house only uses two. I have run a coax from the open lead on the dish LNB to the receiver in the coach. Leave it plugged in all the time, rarely need to call dish for fresh reboot when we get to a campsite. Have sat. service at home in the coach. Just un-plug and go when ready to travel.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #10

Calling Dish is time consuming and most the time little English. Very annoying! I usually wait till I get to the campground and decide whether or not I'm using my satellite. Some campgrounds have great cable channels unless its football season. Then I make sure I'm hooked into games with the Dish.
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
umsman,

We have dish service at home and use a portable King 4500 tailgater and receiver for our satellite service one on the road. I can't get a signal when I'm parked at home with the portable, to many trees.

Our house has a roof mounted dish that has three leads coming off the LNB but our house only uses two. I have run a coax from the open lead on the dish LNB to the receiver in the coach. Leave it plugged in all the time, rarely need to call dish for fresh reboot when we get to a campsite. Have sat. service at home in the coach. Just un-plug and go when ready to travel.
Thanks Cover Dog,, I think that is what I will do
Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH is stored outside so I realize my situation is different than yours. If we aren't using the MH very often I fire up the generator every 2 or 3 weeks and turn the satellite and TV on. I leave it set up and working for 30 to 45 minutes and then shut it all down. That seems to work keeps me from having to call DISH for re setting the system. I have found it is sometimes easier to hang up on the Tech call and start over if they don't understand what I need to happen.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
This will work unless you have the new Hopper 3 system. I had a Hopper and had my extra receiver hooked up exactly this way. When they installed the new Hopper 3, the LNB was not compatible with a regular receiver. The installer added a second antenna for free so I can keep the MH receivers active all the time. You don't have to turn them on periodically, just have them hooked up to an antenna so they can receive updates.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt dan View Post
this will work unless you have the new hopper 3 system. I had a hopper and had my extra receiver hooked up exactly this way. When they installed the new hopper 3, the lnb was not compatible with a regular receiver. The installer added a second antenna for free so i can keep the mh receivers active all the time. You don't have to turn them on periodically, just have them hooked up to an antenna so they can receive updates.

i have the hopper and one joey.. When i purchase the coach it had the dome unit on it, and it was capable of watching tv on the road. But it could only play one channel at a time,, we do not use the tv while we are on the move,, but when we get there the wife likes to watch a dif channel than i do,, so to do this,either put in an additional receiver,, or
put in the hopper w the joey.

Tags
dish, service, storage