Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Angry Keeping my Older Class A Warm

Well we bought a lemon.... A 1998 Cruismaster Georgie Boy.... would you believe that in the almost two years since we bought this bus the only thing that is still working fine is the TVS.. every tap, every window and all the roof and heating is caput.. it needs replacing and fixing.. We are very sad that the people who sold it to us (they were in their 60.s) had to lie to sell it.. it looked fantastic on the outside (we did go inside to see it but it was winter and we should have opened it all up) but after living full time in it now for this long we have found the problems and now need to fix them.. We moved to a warmer climate and live full time in the bus but dont use propane as its too expensive and I refuse to up and move the bus everytime it runs out. So we bought electric heaters and they work great most days but since the walls in the bus are paper thin on the outside it gets mighty chilly some days.. The floor is really cold also. Very hot in summer..We can't afford to buy another RV.. so can anyone give me some ideas please?

Stampedelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #2
Master of Disaster

Buy thin sheets of foam insulation and paint them to look nice, then attached them to your walls. And velcro them over any windows you can live without for additional insulation.

Rubber mats on the floor will help there.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
I would recommend getting some portable fans for the hot summer and using them in conjunction with your roof vents to move air throughout the coach on hot days. I would also suggest laying down some new carpet place mats (or extra, left over new carpet pieces), that you can generally purchase at any of the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes pretty cheaply. The carpet placemats should make the floors much more bearable when it's really cold outside. I would also check your window seals (and entry way door seal) and make sure you don't have any obvious drafts leaking in cold air and if you do, seal them with some flexible window sealing tape strips that you can also buy from the big box stores pretty cheaply. I would also inspect under the front dashboard and the area directly overhead of the dashboard (as well as in other storage areas within the MH) for proper insulation and if it's lacking I would install some additional insulation sheets there as a way to again, keep out the cold. I would check the seals around all the exterior compartment doors to make sure they are sealing properly and if the are worn or were not sealing properly I would install some additional rubber weather strips there too to keep out the cold as much as possible. Rolls of weatherstrips (1/2" to 5/8" wide) are also available from the big box stores. I just purchased a 110V portable heater at Walmart that provides 360 degree heat and was available for around $20. You might consider purchasing additional, higher quality space heater fans, as a temporary measure for when it's really cold out. Given that portable space heaters can be a fire hazard try to buy the best quality ones you can afford.
TimSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
When we were living in a travel trailer while remodeling our S&B, the cold weather fix that did the most good was skirting the outside walls to keep the wind from blowing under the trailer. I cut strips of 1/4 plywood to the correct height, and made a 2X2 frame to hold it in place. This was about 30 years ago. Today I would probably use straw bales and just stack them against the walls.
Of course this works best if you are not moving for a while.
Randy, Karen and a couple of mangy cats
93 Hawkins 36DP, 03 Explorer
Borderbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
Alas I can not get thin foam here.. the thinnest is two inches thick. they don't sell any thinner here ... there are big drafts under the dash.. the idiots that built this home left open all the wiring... I can't seal it off because of mold problems. I tried that last winter and the carpet, doors and windows went so moldy it made me sick .. I use a 1500 am electric heater all winter.. I can't use any bigger because I have two cats and two dogs who also use this space and its rather tiny inside with us and the furniture. Would love to close off under but they don't have places to buy much stuff here for doing that. the skirting costs over a thousand dollars and our campsite doesn't allow hay bales.. I have sealed the windows as best I can but because of the damn window coverings and valances I can't completely cover them .. I would love to cover from outside but not allowed to in this campground.. our manager is an idiot.. I have a long carpet across floor but it is still not enough. Last year we put a heater with our pipes all winter and it melted the bathroom floor so this year no heater under the bathroom floor.. Can I inject insulation in the walls? If I got some of those foam cans? How can I shut off the front of my motorhome from with all the glass? Can I put fibreglass sheets under the dash? We aren't moving at all but I do need to keep that in mind in case we have to... We are soo newbie here.. no tools and no skills.. talk about dumb.. Thanks for the advice and help..
Stampedelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:19 PM   #6

Keeping my Older Class A Warm

On thing you can do- is to buy Reflectix bubble insulation and cut pieces to fit inside of cabinets against outside walls. You can also cut pieces to fit inside windows or vents. Cuts easily with household scissors. Very easy to work with.

Also look up this link for much more reading on how to use this great material !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420265956.736352.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	82460
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
On thing you can do- is to buy Reflectix bubble insulation and cut pieces to fit inside of cabinets against outside walls. You can also cut pieces to fit inside windows or vents. Cuts easily with household scissors. Very easy to work with.

Also look up this link for much more reading on how to use this great material !

Attachment 82460
This is very good advice. We have one big piece that we put over the front windshield winter and summer it makes a huge difference in both. We also have pieces cut for all the windows and it really helped last winter when were were in -6 degree temps. The cure for not having to move to get propane is an extended stay propane adapter. They are a bit pricey in the 100 dollar range but they allow you to hook up a 100 pound propane bottle and when it is empty you can take it to be refilled or a lot of campgrounds will just come pick it up for you fill it and then bring it back. I use an electric heater in my wet bay area where all the pipes are. I bought the smallest one at Walmart I could find with manual thermostat controls. it was about 14.00 I also turned it down to almost the lowest setting. I suspect your floor meltdown was having a heater set too high. I have clock with an indoor/ wireless outdoor thermometer. I have the outdoor sensor in the wet bay area and I keep that area about 45 degrees. Last winter when I moved the motor home I put the heater in the storage bay, when I got it out I must have bumped the control. I put it in and left it for an hour. I checked my temp and it was 110 degrees in there. It does not take those heaters long to heat that small a space.

Depending on where your tv is and if you want to move it. You can stretch a wire across below the ceiling behind the front seats. Then either get some insulated curtains or again some of the silver insulation mentioned above. Hang that so that it blocks off the entire area from the back of the seats forward. I think this would be the most significant thing you can do to help make it easier to heat. The stairwell coming from the entrance door is the coldest place I have found in my coach. During the winter I leave my cartons of soft drinks by this area and I do not have to refrigerate them. When I was in the negative temps I cut a piece of foam out and covered that stairwell to keep heat in.

I hope these suggestions help.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The very best thing I did when living in my semi and trucking all over the country in the winter, and the hot desert in the summer, Was what was mentioned in the early'r post's! The reflex bubble wrap rolls, found a Home Depot, and I went a step further, got some spray adhesive, and some poster board, paper backed foam, about 1/8" thick. Cut it to your window size, test fit, then spray with the spray adhesive, and stick the bubble wrap to the poster board. Trim to fit, leaving just a little hang over! Put the bubble wrap side out, and you can easily take in and out as needed! If it is a very tight fit, a piece of duct tape, folded over, will make a tab you can pull it out easy! I used these in my semi for many years, and they worked very well! Also the bubble wrap will stuff in all the little places you will find, under the dash, in the cabinet's along the outside walls! They also make a roll of felt like sound dead'ng material that you can put under the carpet, to make the floors warmer! Sadly, filling the walls with foam would be a bad idea, it has to have a place to come out of, and unless you really know what you are doing, you can possibly ruin your MH! You do not want all your outside walls all wavy! or blow the interior walls apart! The very best elect. heaters I ever found were made by Stanley, called a squirrel cage ceramic heater, I had two in my semi, one in the cab and one in the sleeper, and only ran them on the 750watt setting, set the therm. and stayed toasty warm! As the other posters said, the door weather striping that comes in a roll, adhesive on one side, will stop all the drafts, especially in the basement, to help keep the floors warm! And you can crawl under the motorhome, and use the spray minimal expanding foam in any holes you can find, but wear protection, as you do not want to get it on your skin, as it does not wash off! These things should help! Rail!
guardrail53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you go to sleep, share your bed with your BFF [Best Fury Friend].
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:37 AM   #10
Nobody mentioned vent pillows. It is amazing how much heat exits through skylight vents. Look up vent pillows on the Camping world site then make your own out of suitably sized small pillows.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:11 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
All good suggestions. Another that I use is generally called "carpet film roll". It is kind of a thick saran wrap type plastic product with a somewhat sticky back. I put this on all my windows when it is cold and it really helps to seal the leaks (I have very old, drafty windows). I used to also cover the ceiling vents with this but I've now made a set of insulated covers that I use instead.

I also remove my two AC covers (inside ceiling) and fill the empty space with old towels (then put the covers back on). This seems to help prevent the warm air sneaking up into the cold space and acting as a heat sink.

Finally, I think covering the dash with blankets helps but I like the idea of long curtains to close off the entire area.
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:27 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Seems obvious to me. Lie, sell it, and rent an apartment.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #13
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Attachment 82460
I am a big fan of Reflectix as well - I just bought a HUGE roll at Lowe's and we cut pieces to fit in the windows of our Class B. We camped in it for the first time last night and were so toasty we ended up opening a roof vent!
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ
1999 American Cruiser RE2000
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
You have to stay on top of issues that happen. RVs are very rarely just buy and go for two years doing no repairs, especially a 1998. I bought my 02 Eagle with only 56K on it. Started full timing just over two years ago. So the coach went from minimal use to full time use and here is a short list of what i fixed in the first two years. Replaced toilet seal, replaced house batteries, replaced chasis batteries, replace rear A/C, replaced ice maker, repaired furnace, repaired fantastic fan covers, replaced fresh water pump, replaced water heater, repaired leak in galley, replaced galley faucet, repaired day/night shade, replaced inverter, repaired generator, repaired front A/C, replaced airbag, and repaired a host of other small items like push latches and such.

Every item i mentioned was functioning the day we drove it home. Now i am off to fix something.

Good luck

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote

class a