Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #15

I've bought my last MH three times now.

Jim E

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #16

Have a 2000 American Dream purchased new. I just had it re-painted (Phoenix Paint) and am getting all new carpet (part of it already has ceramic tile) in Sept. I have replaced the fridge (small fire in 2007-Norcold) and replaced one furnace and put in a new Splendide washer (2100XC). I love this floorplan and have taken very good care of the coach. I figure for what just the sales tax is on a new one, I can do whatever I want to this one! When the new carpet goes in, the leather J couch and the leather sofa go out to be replaced by 2 leather Euro recliners. Then I'll have new drapes made (mine are still in great shape) and all the valances recovered. MUCH less expensive than a new one!

TedToo

Old 07-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post

Jim E
We've done the same thing. It was the floor plan and amenities that lead us to upgrade - twice. There is no denying that it is expensive, but since we could afford it without financing, we did it. We don't regret the upgrades. I think we're done now, because I don't see anything on the market that would be better for us, regardless of cost.

Now, if my wife's health would get a little better, we could actually use the new one.

If we were financing, the depreciation would be tougher to swallow. With a loan, you're pretty much always under water. That would make an upgrade a lot less tempting.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #18

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have always purchased "pre-enjoyed". We could not get over that huge intital depreciation hit as you drive a new one off the lot. We also feel that we want someone else to take care of all the inevitable "bugs" that will pop up during the first year. We have only had our 2005 Revolution about 3 months now and while we love it to pieces...we also keep our eyes peeled for better and bigger "pre-enjoyed" units that may be a great deal. We actually considered one this weekend at the FMCA Rally in Vermont. It was a 2005 Monaco Signature Series that the one and only previous owner had ordered with unbelievable options and upgrades. Original price was over $600,000 and was listed for $269,000 this weekend. It was very tempting!!!! But we are sticking with our Rev for a while longer because she is just wonderful for us...

Faith and Bob
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased my 2002 Monaco Windsor in December of 2003 from the original owners. Got a fantastic deal as they were done with it after being on the road for 14 months and 42,000 miles later. They used it to promote a new book and business called Creative Memories.

Took a loan for the entire amount through my credit union @ 5.62% and now I am upside down on the loan. I had planned to keep this coach forever anyway so no big deal.

Only way I would upgrade or switch is if I happen to win the BIG lottery or some gracious individual decides to give me $1 million, $500,000 to buy new coach and the rest for taxes due to the gift.

Not too far off in the future, my coach will be over the magic year of 10 years which some RV parks unfortunately have an age limit. So once that occurs, my coach will gain in year of manufacture conveniently. Therefore, it will never be more that 10 years old.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We like our coach and won't be trading it in for a new one. We bought it used, upgraded some items, added others, and now it's all ours. Happiness is using the coach to do what we want, not by staring at the latest newest thing in coaches.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We got a great deal on ours when we bought it new a model year later. This is our last motor home. Unless a better last motor home comes along and we can figure out a way to get it.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just brought ours used 2006 Discovery with 16 K miles just like new with new tires. Need coach batteries and just put a new 3 camera system on it. This is a great time to buy used. Lots of deals out there. I think it is a smart move to buy used. You need to know what you are doing to not get burned. We have it ready to use now. Waiting for cooler weather.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Depends, if we go full-time in December of 2014, we will trade in our 2007 32 foot bounder, ford chassis class A for a DP. If we keep house and go part time, we will keep bounder.

We had a 24 foot TT and on a whim and with out doing much research we traded up to the bounder December of 2006. I guess we got lucky because the bounder has been perfect for us so far. we took several week vacations and try to use it at least once a month. We put over 27,000 miles on it.

I would love to buy new again, but I refuse to get hit with the big drive off the lot depreciation like others are talking about. I am hoping to go FT and buy 38-43 foot 2010-2013 gently used DP around July of 2014. Mainly want DP for load carrying capacity, size, longevity and ride.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #24

I have always bought used. Owned a Class C 1976 Model, sold it in 2000, bought a 1986 Class A and sold it in 2010 after buying a 1994 Mountain Aire DP. Will probably drive it into the ground and then some. Can;t see taking a hit by buying new.
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post

Jim E
Only twice for us! Ordered a new 2000 Dutch Star with only one slide as Newmar assured us they would never build a triple slide one like we wanted. Then, just before we took delivery of it we found that they were building a new model and that at least three had come off the line before ours was done. And, of course it was a triple slide unit. We kept it a couple years then ordered the present 2002 just the way we wanted it except I wanted the hydro hot and Newmar refused to put it in a Dutch Star at that time. They said they "didn't want to dilute the line" by offering Mountain Air options in a Dutch Star. Now you can get it. Oh well, guess we'll keep ours as we're into the "things going wrong" stage now and it's cheaper to fix them than buy new.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motorhomes, like cars, were never meant to be investments in the traditional sense. The returns we get are measured in good times, adventures, and memories. Like most, we can't justify spending the time and money buying a newer model. So we'll keep our 2004 Brave until one of us is too old and unreliable to hit the road. We've been full-timing since 2004 and have learned to really appreciate the motorhome we have. Starting over with a new model would be like trading in my wife and kids. No thanks.

Jack
Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawg View Post

We have it ready to use now. Waiting for cooler weather.
Sounds like you're still tied to the chopping block.

Once I retired, FINALLY for the last time, I follow the weather. If it's TOO hot I move North or up until it's cool enough to enjoy yourself. If it's too cold, I move South until it's warm enough for shorts and swim trunks.

When your home is on wheels, there is NO excuse to suffer in lousy weather.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just picked up our brand new moho 4 days ago. We've been looking at this model for four years. Went to several RV shows and always came back to this one. We will never full time in it and have have no intention of selling our stick house, so... unless a major event happens this is it for us.
We don't care about the depreciation, we didn't care about the value when I drove it off the lot, we don't care what its worth tomorrow... we know what its worth to us today. We'll keep this one for as long as I can maintain and drive it.