Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-24-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Keeping or Trading your Class A???

We purchesed our 08 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire 45 new. I know that was stupid but we did it. It is a wonderful coach with the usual problems and maintenance requirements. Although I thought we got a great deal at the time we purchased (Nov08); now with all of the economic factors and Monaco going away, our loss on depreciation is enormous. I note that many on this forum seem to trade every 3 -5 years. How do you deal with the depreciation loss?

So I just thought that with a piece of equipment as fine as this, does anybody actually keep their motorhome and simply maintain it for twenty years?

Thanks for your thoughts.

J & J Sabatinos + Schnauzer & Bengal
08 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire
Eastern Montana
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had our MH for 9 years now, naturally a few things have needed attention: Tires after 8 years, all fluids several times, the slideout covers need replacing, last time out the front TV quit (but if you bounce it it'll come back on for a while). Now I see the main awning is pulling out of the channel where the threads have broken.
Took the wife looking at new rigs (Newmar Essex at $630,000), Dutch Star (at 300,000+), King Aire ($750,000). She decided we should keep ours! Cheaper to keep her and keep it up than getting a new one!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
New in 01 so have had the mh for 10 yrs works fine so think I will keep mine at least another 10.
2001 Horizon 2004 jeep GC
autofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
We decided a long time ago to keep our 02 Horizon 39QD as we wouldn't get much in a trade and it would cost well north of 200 grand to replace and we both love it....Had a full body paint job and it looks brand new...I know the rig like the back of my hand...The 3126E Cat runs like a top gets good mileage and doesn't have all the pollution stuff that newer models have...I do all my own maintenance and have an extended warranty for anything major that might happen...
movin-on is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
LOL, pretty soon you all will be joining me at the Vintage Club. Although You all have a ways to go yet.
swamphog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A Keeper

We'll keep ours until I have to shut down, or win in a Lottery BIG
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
We have a '92 HR class A and have no intentions of getting rid of it. Bought it a few years ago for cash, put a little $$ into it to make it the way we wanted and started having fun with it. Never worried about depreciation.
92' Holiday Rambler 1000
The wife, me and two furry kids
If you have it, a truck brought it.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Our 04 is by no means old and it has many years use left in it if maintained properly. I have always liked looking at new and bigger and better motor homes but with todays gas prices and economic outlook, we're keeping what we have. I would still loose money on a trade and we are only a couple of years from it being paid off. That said, we are upgrading the chassis and house little by little. Did the chassis stuff this spring and will work on the interior later this year.
2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #9
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased ours new with the intent of getting the best deal we could------using it as long as she last-----taking good care of it----we believed it was one way to get a good dollar value----so some day we will have a vintage coach---same one we have had all along.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
We bought ours to see if we would enjoy it. Found we did and it's taught us a lot since. We'll be upgrading when we find the right deal - but it will probably still be an older coach. There's no way on earth we can afford to take that huge depreciation hit.
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Bought our 04 in the fall of 09 thinking we would trade it within 5 years or so. But after replacing the fridge, fixing the toilet, working on getting the AC right and maybe replace the carpet with new or laminate flooring next year we are starting to think for what the new (or newer) ones cost and getting everything just right, what is the point. Can't go much bigger anyway and pushing it now on the pad we have at the sticks and bricks house.

Would love to buy new if doing it again but the huge depreciation is hard to swallow. Oh and having this one paid in full doesn't hurt either.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Trade or Keep?

Originally Posted by jsabatinos View Post
So I just thought that with a piece of equipment as fine as this, does anybody actually keep their motorhome and simply maintain it for twenty years?

Thanks for your thoughts.
It's sure crossed our minds.

I mean, we've just put on a set of Koni FSDs and everything is pretty much tweaked to perfection.

'Problem is, DW really likes some of the new floorplans with the side hallway that allows for the shower to be enclosed in its own room rather than visible to all.

I've been watching the market, hoping that someone out there might have one of these, want financial relief (but continue to RV) by taking ours in trade with a wheelbarrow full of cash. All the while, we are taking trips and loving our Excursion. It just came in from a 250 mile weekend lakeside hot air balloon festival trip yesterday, is sitting in its indoor berth plugged in and waiting for another adventure in three or four weeks. Minor maintenance writeups until then: a blown fuse for the microwave clock, two loose cabinet latches. Fun stuff.

But, if we stay in our current rig for a few years, it will definitely be replaced with one at least two years old that has never been lived in. My ideal is a rig that's been driven 10K miles each year. Short of that, they seem to pile up maintenance demands for an unwary purchaser. You all have taught me that
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We just bought ours new and it will be the last one we buy. It should outlast us.

Mark & Carole RVM54
What a long strange trip it's been
2002 Fourwinds 5000 26Q 496 ci. Chevy towing 2004 Jeep Wrangler,2016 Starcraft AR One 18', 2016 F-150
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Our 98 American Eagle was purchased in January 09. 20K miles driven since taking delivery.

It is our first RV and will be the last.

No intention to sell as we are enjoying it and it has been virtually trouble free!

As we bought a vintage coach, depreciation is not significant.

1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Cummins C8.3 325 HP
Allison 3060 Six Speed Transmission

FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote