Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Keeping/Organizing your MH maint records

What do you do to keep your MH records? Got any great organizational ideas? What would you desire to look at if you were the NEXT owner of your present MH?

I currently put repair work orders, receipts, bills in a plastic bin then periodically put them in plastic page protectors in a binder. On things like genny oil changes and chassis lube jobs I do myself I write them on a logbook page.

Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
I log everything in a Excel Spreadsheet, then file all bills by date order. I can quickly scan down the spreadsheet, see what I want to look at more closely and pull it out of the file folder. Everything I buy coach related gets logged in and the sheet tallies the totals. Shocking!

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

I use a simple Excell spreadsheet to record almost everything I do on my coach with dates, hours and mileage. In addition, I have a Maintenance folder in my Newmar Suitcase where I keep all my receipts. In the same case, I have another folder that holds all the lab reports on the fluid samples I take annually.
When I bought the coach, the PO gave me the original Newmar manuals and the Suitcase, as I like to call it, was a mess. So my first task was to go through it and sort everything into categories and make up folders in each category.
I also made (or should say expanded) the Important Numbers Sheet to include all the filter numbers, belt numbers, make model of every component on the coach as I come across them or add them (such as LED TV's, Koni Shocks etc). I also have copies of every wiring diagram from Newmar and Spartan in the suitcase.
So, if I were to offer my coach for sale tomorrow, the prospective buyer would have the complete history and make up of the coach in an instant.
Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
MS Excel speadsheet.

If your knowledge of Excel is nonexistent, take a class at your local night school.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · FMCA 335149 · W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have several 9X12 manila envelopes that contains all the receipts.

On the outside of them I have drawn lines and write down date, miles, what was done and cost.

I place those envelopes in the pouch on the back of my drivers seat.

I can tell at a glance when anything and everything was done for the last 10 years and 80,000 miles..

Working on my third envelope now. If I ever sell it the new owner will have all the records right there.

All my cars have a similar setup.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Excel spreadsheet for maintenance, one for fuel, and one for repairs/replacements/additions.

Documents filed in file folders as Chassis maintenance, Coach Repairs, Chassis Repairs.

After almost 14 years the documents make a fair size pile.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Similar to Excel, but now using google sheets so I can update the logs with the phone app vs having to wait until I'm at home on the computer. Both my wife and I can access the sheet. Also use it for Fuel Mileage and DEF mileage. Having mobile access is nice. Then use the file pocket system for actual rece
2012 Journey 36m
erstanfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:37 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I log it manually, paper and pen. Cost are tagged in Quicken. Items that have a warrantee I'll save the various paper work in a large envelope that I keep in the same location as the log book.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I'm a gadget guy and using a computer is great, but, I suspect those using spreadsheets, do the entries and never look again. You just don't service an RV that often to need electronic records.

I use a three ring binder (1" size) that I keep everything in, stored in the coach. I actually do it just like the OP. I created, many years ago, a page that has all of my filters and fluids listed. I made several copies and keep spares in the notebook. I usually buy my filters at RV shows, Quartzsite or Rallies. If it looks like an RV show has a filter truck, I pull out one of my pages and have them fill my order.

I also created a log page that has all of my lube information, dates, mileage and what was lubed or replaced, trans service, engine oil, air cleaner, generator service etc.

When I service my coach, I pull out the binder, check off what I did and put the binder back into the RV. When I get specialized instructions, like how to read the transmission codes, my fuse locations, lube fitting positions on a Monaco RR8R chassis (last coach) or anything service related, I stick it in the folder. It has stuff in it that I may need to know to do a repair on the road. As an example, I took photos of all my fuses and their locations through out the coach. Some fuse functions (names) were hard to read in the photos, so I used the computer to create a document that describes what fuse is in each bay. Again, I used a computer, but having it on the computer can be an issue in an emergency or when on the road. So....I print it out and add it to my binder.

The folder is always with me and I can easily pull it out, sit on the couch and reference anything I need. I know many will say that they can pull out their computer, tablet, laptop and look up information just as quick. This is true, but sometimes when you're running around the coach or greasy from servicing it, it's just easier to do it the old fashion way.

I also have the big box of manuals and the Freightliner manual stored away in the coach. I rarely if ever use it, so it's stored deep in the bowels of the coach. My binder has things that I need often so it's stored near the cab of the coach.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #10
Well Don, I respectively disagree with your statement "I suspect those using spreadsheets, do the entries and never look again". I for one do look at those number and entries. If fact just the other day I went back to my spreadsheet for our previous coach and pulled up a part number for another poster. It was so easy.

Now I will agree that electronic spreadsheets are not for everyone and paper entries work better for some (like my wife). In fact I've been know to use a pencil and paper once in a while, but darn if I can remember where I put that page of notes

BTW, how do you like your Dutch Star and the Comfort Steer?
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:15 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep a large Manila envelope in the pocket on the back of the drivers seat. Whenever I have a receipt for service or parts/supplies for self service - I just add it to the envelope...
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #12

I personally love the spreadsheet and Dropbox. I keep electronic versions of every manual I can find and have full access to any of the records at any time on any device.
I also keep all the receipts but that is more secondary. Much easier for me to plan and see what happens have done via the spreadsheet. Also have a text file of todo items, this lets me keep a running tab of items as I bump into them while on the road.

Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #13
I use an app called Road Trip. It's basically a spreadsheet program that runs on my iPhone and iPad. Since my phone is always in my pocket, it's very convenient for me to enter what I ever service I perform right away. It also allows me to enter my fuel stops and keeps track of fuel mileage. GPS capabilities track the locations where I fuel or have service performed. I can customize the statistical reports to display an entire range of variables, such as mileage over a given time frame, expense reports, and other useful information. It allows me to relate my fuel mileage to a certain driving style or identify mechanical issues that affect performance. I can create records for each of my vehicles and the generator. (For the generator I can switch the setting to track hours instead of the default setting, of miles. It syncs with Dropbox, so the most up to date data is available instantly on my iPad or computer. I can also export the data to excel. If I recall, I paid $5 through the App Store. The programmer sends out free updates from time to time in order to keep the app up to date and incorporates new features. I've been using it for years.
2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD 450 Cummins
2007 Jeep Rubicon
moleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 AM   #14
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found the next guy couldn't care less what you did. If I get a lot of receipts from someone at least they did something, I rarely read. I record in spreadsheets so all service records are in one place. Throwing receipts in a folder takes time finding the "ONE" I want. Paper service manuals (almost 30 lbs) are in one large bag. PDF files work just as good as paper for me.

Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote