Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

Keeping plugged up

Is it wise to keep your class a plugged up all the time even when not in use.What are the pro's and con's?
WE RV 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is plugged in six hours a day when not in use. Keeps the batteries charged while reducing impact to electric bill. Soonest I get off my duff and install the solar panels resting in my workshop, will be plugged in zero hours a day.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We keep ours plugged in 24/7, even when it's winterized & put away for winter. We're just sure to check the battery fluid levels once a month. The only winter we didn't do that, the breaker tripped & once the vampire loads drained the house batteries, they split/burst during an extended deep-freeze period. Cost of that lesson=time cleaning up the spilled battery acid from the tray, 1 can of spray paint to repaint the battery tray & 3 new batteries from Costco.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ours are plugged in 24/7 when it's not out on the road or at a camping spot. Put new house batteries in it 2 years ago and they always check out well with a hydrometer. I periodically check the electrolyte level of the batteries to make sure the cells never get exposed to air. That'll ruin them in short time.

As a side note. I recommend using a hyrdrometer to check the batteries periodically. Much better indicator of battery health and it tells you how each and every cell is doing, not just the battery as a whole. You can get a really good one for less than $30 from a variety of sources.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
.....I keep my plugged 24/7, keeps everything working,I can run fan's for ventilation, nite light, small heater when needed, no problems in the past seven(7) years. JMHO, good luck,
david g...........
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

24/7/365 here
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
24/7 till we fulltime in October.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE RV 2 View Post
Is it wise to keep your class a plugged up all the time even when not in use.What are the pro's and con's?
There is no consensus about doing that. Do what's best for your situation.

BTW, if you service and then charge your batteries fully, you can just disconnect the grounds and they'll be fine for months.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I used to keep mine plugged into shore power 24/7, checking the water each month. But this past month when I went to check them, I found one which had boiled, and the water was very low. I filled it and tried to charge it, but it would not come back. I was told that I should have kept them on a smart maintenance charger, like the Battery Tender Smart Battery Plus. I was told the charger in the Winnebago was not a true 3 or 4 step charger, and will boil your batteries if kept on 24/7. It was suggested that I replace it with a smart charger. Now I'm as confused as you are.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Battery tenders are great products. I guess their use with a moho depends on what type of electronics the moho is equipped with. I love my battery tender for the motorcycle and jet ski. No chance of overcharge and batteries last much longer through our cold northern Nevada winters when neither machine is getting any use.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We keep ours plugged in all the time, summer and winter. We keep the A/C set to 80 in the summer and the heat pumps set to 50 in the winter. The fridge stays on all the time too. I just don't think it's good for the interior to get really hot OR really cold and like the keep the humidity under control. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Ours is plugged in 24/7, no problems if you have a smart charger and either monitor the batteries or have no maint batteries.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #13

I have a high amp battery tender for the motor home If i'm correct it's 3.5 amps I have a 1.5 amp for the motorcycle.
Never any issues during our northern Ontario winters with either all my batteries survive being left connected to he vehicles, the bike is on it's 4th year.
The normal life cycle for a wet cell battery is 5 years any more than that is a gift.
Les
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #14

We keep our plugged in 24x7. Keeps the battery up to snuff.

We had a line and RV electrical box installed last year where we park her..
Nice that there is NOT a wire from the house to the coach where someone could trip over...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE RV 2 View Post
Us3Here is offline   Reply With Quote