Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Keeping rv hooked up topower

Being a newbie, we will be keeping our 03 newmar canyon star gas at the house can we keep it hooked up to shore power (I have a 50 amp rv outlet installed on back side of garage) and keep the refrigerator running all the time? And it would be nice to turn the ac on while we are loading up etc. will this situation cause me any problems?

StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having power to the coach all the time is not a problem. I have an RV recept for ours where we park it on our property.

Ensure you check batteries periodically to ensure they don't go dry.

Differing schools of thought on leaving the refrigerator running. There was a recent thread on this topic. Suggest to use the search feature to find it and other similar threads.

Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Thanks I will search for running the refrigerator
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I keep mine plugged in with the A/C thermostats turned up to keep the temperature inside the MH below 90 degrees this time of year. Refrigerator is turned off, except to prepare for our trips. You should also unplug and run the generator once a month for an hour or two under load. I hope this helps.
95 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, Venice, Fla
C-PHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
We keep our coach plugged into 120V 20 amp power all the time when we're home. We also run the refrigerator all the time, and set our Norcold 1200 on temp setting 2. We also always keep the coach level, and had no problems at all for 9.5 years before our Norcold absorption unit went out. We replaced the unit with an Amish absorption unit this summer, and will continue to run the refrigerator when we're home.
Jim and Lynda, (Sophie, Jake, attack trained killer Shi-Tzus :-))

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I leave ours plugged in the fridge running and the AC running too. I don't want the stored odor and can't think the extreme heat is that good for it.

Took me awhile to get the old awful stored odor out of it and don't want it to return.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
We have a FW and not a MH, but I keep ours plugged in 24/7 while at home. I also leave the fridge on from de-winterization to winterization. During the cold months, we'll only turn it on when we're going camping.
2007 Excel Limited 30RKE 32' fifth wheel
2003 Excel Limited 35LKE 37' fifth wheel
2011 Ford F250XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD
EMD_Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Ford Super Duty Owner
We turn the fridge off and leave it open.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
RV plugged in all the time, fridge on ( house fridge) inverter "Off" amd A/C set at 80 I also alternate A/C's every month. Run generator every month with a load for one hour.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
iRV2 No Limits Club
Plugged in beside the house to a 30 amp plug in, refer and storage bay refer/freezer on 24/7/365. Batteries lasted about a month short of 10 years and could have gone longer but we were headed out for a trip and I didn't want trouble on the road.

I try to remember to run the generator about an hour a month, use the heat pumps for the load. Run one on heat the other on cool for about a half hour, then reverse the heat pump settings for the next half hour.

I do set the inverter to 5 amps input so the inverter battery charger doesn't overdo it.

I also replaced the cooling unit on our Dometic last year with an Amish unit as the original leaked and the recall setup did it's job of shutting the unit down. Lots of yellow powder around the burner!

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote