Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Keeping the living area warm

On my trip back from Winter Garden, FL last week, I ran into a couple of issues that involved the cold as I continued further north to Connecticut. One problem was the pipes on my KSDP 3916 froze up one night in PA. As I've been reading the forums for the last few weeks, this topic was covered and I did the drop lights in the water bay solution which quickly cleared up that problem. No leaks so the freeze wasn't hard and I thank everyone on this forum for so much valuable information like using the lights. I felt much more prepared for this trip (first one in my coach as I just purchased it).

My other problem I ran into was the vast amount of heat loss from the cab area of the coach, which surprising to me, is also where the thermostat is located (just behind the passenger seat). This of course causes the furnace to run endlessly, boiling one out of the bedroom due to so much constant running. The second night I resolved this by hanging a heavy comforter blanket across the cab area (my slides were always closed). That kept the loss of heat from the cab area to a minimum and the furnace ran much more efficiently and I could sleep that night. It also greatly reduced the amount of propane consumed that night.

Note I have the windshield curtains closed in all cases here.

I'm wondering what others have done to solve the heavy loss of heat from the cab area?

I'm quite interested in using my coach year-round and not necessarily in warm areas during winter months. I think this problem is less an issue for keeping things cooler during hot weather because electricity is relatively cheap as opposed to more costly heating fuel (LP in my case).

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The cab area of my coach is colder asked well. However thermostat is mounted amidships. Suggest to maybe relocate the thermostat.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We always place a small electric heater on the front dash in colder weather and find that helps take the chill from the front of the coach. That should help a lot with your thermostat being up front like that. Although that doesn't work unless plugged into electric.
Fortunately our thermostat is mid coach.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I should also note I found the blanket between the cab/living area solution also worked well while driving. That night in PA it was down to 13 degrees F (a lot of my driving was during that type of cold). With the divider, I found the cab heater kept it nice and warm and the furnace kept the living area consistent in temperature as well.

I doubt I'd run an electric heater while the coach is moving as I'm alone while driving.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
This may work for you.

Purchased 1 3/8 x 10' round pre-stained round stock at Lowes. Bought 3 sections of insulated black curtains at Walmart. Have subsequently backed sections with same black material. Hemmed curtains to fit height. Mounted behind cabinets/seats with half-round electrical conduit brackets using one screw. Keeps heat in cockpit during the winter and air-con in the heat of the summer. Also provides privacy in the evenings and climate control in the living area. An added plus is it also hides the slide outs
when closed up. Works for us.

Attachment 50800
Old 03-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-81537045.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	57540
Old 03-05-2014, 06:28 AM   #7

No real issue. I have three zone heat and Aquahot. I also use the engine to heat the Aquahot as I run down the road. The issue I find is condensation on the inside of the windshield. I till freeze when it is really cold out. So I use a fan. The reverse of summer but does the same thing. Keeps air flowing and makes condensation harder to form. Also keeps the front at an even temp.

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #8

We use moving blankets purchased from harbor freight to drape over the dash and floor when we are parked. They are easy to store and do a good job of keeping the cold at bay. We also use one over the door at night held in place with a tension curtain rod and another over the step well makes a big difference.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #9

I attempt to remember to turn all dash heater switches to the off position. I found this out on a windy night when cold air was clearly leaking through the vents. Turning the switches to off closed the dash heater ducts and reduced the amount of cold air entering the cab through the dash.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I like the solution from zeeyaarv, this would work better than my temporary clamped up solution. Thanks!

I also didn't realize leaving the switches open would allow air through, I'll be sure to turn those off as well.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #11

I have a modification of zeeyaarv's curtain. I use a piece of plastic-coated clothesline with snaps on each end(small turnbuckle on one to maintain tautness), a small eye-screw on each wall,stretch the clothesline with curtains on it across to help with head transfer through those huge windshields. It is very easy to store and occupies little room.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
bokobird......A couple of ideas....on my Monaco coach, I was able to take the sensor, which had a 4' lead and reroute it to another position. I got it away from the windshield which helped.

On some thermostats with remote sensors, you can change the thermostat to read the temp at the thermostat, instead of the sensor. Basically, you're eliminating the sensor wire.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #13

One small thing that can make a difference is closing the AC vents in the ceiling as well. We also pulled our TV and insulated behind it (over the windshield) big difference summer and winter.