Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Keeping the RV "Exercised"

How many hours or miles each month should I run Class A Winnebago? Any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #2

I drive mine at least 20 miles with the genny running and a/c on

Old 09-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do 10 to 20 miles every 3 weeks or so - I don't drive in the snow/salt, so winter times vary more with weather/road conditions. Camping adds miles of course.
Plan on adding fuel during these trips - need to keep the fuel fresh (if gas, use a gas stabilizer)
Also run the genny with AC or a space heater for a load about an hour a month.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo and Dave View Post
How many hours or miles each month should I run Class A Winnebago? Any suggestions?
Glo and Dave
I drive my coach 7-8k miles a year, (Dec through April).

Some years it has been used every other week or so, (for 50-300 mile camping trips), May-Nov.
Other years it has not been exercised, (or used), for as long as six months at a time.

BTW, to properly "exercise" a coach it must be driven a minimum of 20-30 miles, (preferably at highway speeds), to thoroughly warm the engine and transmission, (and to drive any/all moisture from the exhaust system).

Mel
'96 safari, 132k miles, (105 k mine)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I have been driving my RV between long trips about 30 to 60 miles a month, so good to hear that's on target. But I have not always used the interstate to get the lines and engine cleared or warmed. Adding gas regularly -I haven't thought of that before. Regarding driving the RV with the generator on -- I have a gas powered Winnebago-- is this safe?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo and Dave View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have been driving my RV between long trips about 30 to 60 miles a month, so good to hear that's on target. But I have not always used the interstate to get the lines and engine cleared or warmed. Adding gas regularly -I haven't thought of that before. Regarding driving the RV with the generator on -- I have a gas powered Winnebago-- is this safe?
Absolutely! It is designed for such use. Also, the water heater and refrigerator are designed to be safe for use while driving.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #7

Since modern fuel systems are closed, adding stabilizers and topping off with fresh fuel each trip is unnecessary. However, if you're going to park it for months, then yeah, top off the tank, and add stabilizer. Especially if you're on the coast and it gets cold. Like in Alaska. If you had a diesel, I'd also recommend an anti-gel. Though even then, cold country fuel stations have additives in the fuel to help prevent gelling.

Running the genset while driving is perfectly safe. Thousands do it to run the house A/C while on the road. I'm one of them.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

No vehicle fuel system is totally closed, otherwise when fuel is pumped out of the tank it causes a slight vacuum, which will continue to build until the fuel pump cannot keep up with demand or the tank collapses. The system is closed to vapors escaping via a one-way valve in the vent line. This same vent line allows outisde air to replace pumped-out fuel space. That air contains moisture, which will condense and fall into the fuel, settling to the bottom of the tank. The less air space available, the less moisture there is to condense.
That is the way all my fuel tanks on my "modern" vehicles are designed, yours may be different.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Though even then, cold country fuel stations have additives in the fuel to help prevent gelling.

Running the genset while driving is perfectly safe. Thousands do it to run the house A/C while on the road. I'm one of them.
Around here they sell #1 diesel in the winter and #2 in warmer months. Of course if you fill up in AZ and then head north into colder areas you could need to add the anti-gel to your tank.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #10

I have been motorhoming in various rigs since 1984 and I live in a wet climate. I look after the batteries during the down time winter months. But, I see no reason to "exercise it. Mine is under cover, but I have never had problems resulting from not running it during those times. In fact I have saved much in fuel costs and wear and tear.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
About once a month when we're not traveling I take the MH out for a 30 minute drive, with the genny running both A/C's.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #12

I don't see any need to "exercise it" unless you don't use the rig for a long period of time(six months or more). We stay in our rig for months at a time in one spot and it never moves. The seals that are used in modern vehicles don't dry out like the old ones did so the need to drive the rig is not as great today. I keep the fuel tank full so it doesn't draw moisture. I run my generator for 20 minutes every month with an electrical load, but that's about it.