Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I find about 2 out 3 campgrounds allow washing, except in California and maybe Washington, due to the drought. When not available, I do what "FIRE UP" does and wash it where I can with a power washer.

Recently, I took a cheap Harbor Freight power washer and disassembled it. Here it is on Harbor Freight's website: 1650 PSI 1.25 GPM Electric Pressure Washer

I removed the cover and all of the superfluous stuff, leaving just the pump, which is about the size of a football. Here is a photo of the plastic cover.

This is the actual pump. I mounted it to the frame rail alongside my generator.

I ran a pvc pipe from the pump inlet to the edge of the body near the generator tailpipe. I put a standard 3/4 female hose fitting on the end so that I could quickly attach a water supply either from the campground or my own water pump.

The Harbor Freight power washer comes with a 25' power cord. I ran it down an upper frame rail into a bay where I had an outlet. I leave it secured near the outlet when not in use.

Lastly, I went to a local supply house and bought a 50' hose so I could walk around and wash my entire coach. I made a holder for the hose under the hood.

The entire project cost me under $200.00.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldkarphart View Post

This is what I use. I usually do it in stages over a 2 or 3 day period.

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
DSD, I have that exact sprayer, but I also have the Blue Beacon app on our phones so we can get it done as the last stop of the day before the rv park.
Location List

Sometimes I wish they had an option to just get the bugs off the front as one time I left the local blue beacon and on the way to the campground ran through a SWARM of bugs killing legions of them !
Old 03-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #18

Aircraft RV Cleaner Waterless Wash Wax Detailing Products Supplies
This one received a pretty good write up in Motor Home or similar magazine recently. I bought some on line and it just came but I haven't used it yet. Maybe tomorrow?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:11 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I use a California Car Duster and the Wash-Wax system. Easy and works great.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
When the CG does not allow washing, I simply purchase 6 gallons
of bottled water. Takes 2 gallons to wash and 3-4 gallons to
rinse. I soap it with a long handled sponge, and rinse with a
long handled brush, then dry with towels.
Everybody I've talked to suggests not using power washers,
window and door seals not meant for those kinds of pressures.
JMHO
Old 03-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Gordon Dewald said: "We have local fellows do the washing and waxing. A wash is 35 and a wash and hand wax is 3 per foot. Really convenient."

That's a steal, Gordon. Where are you located, I'll come there for cleaning alone.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandphyl View Post
When the CG does not allow washing, I simply purchase 6 gallons
of bottled water. Takes 2 gallons to wash and 3-4 gallons to
rinse. I soap it with a long handled sponge, and rinse with a
long handled brush, then dry with towels.
Everybody I've talked to suggests not using power washers,
window and door seals not meant for those kinds of pressures.
JMHO

Try Waterless, all you need is a few Micro Fibre Towels.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/EcoSmart..._p/wac_707.htm
Old 03-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can make this even easier/better! At many auto supply stores you can get a screw on "deionizer" to a hose bib and rinse, which totally eliminates the need to dry, while preventing any spotting ~ even in direct sun! It lasts for quite a few washes and worth it's weight in gold! (How do you think they keep all those UPS Brown trucks looking good every day!)

Any chance you could furnish a name and model? I'm not finding anything that would attach directly to the hose bibb. Thanks.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
...Recently, I took a cheap Harbor Freight power washer and disassembled it. Here it is on Harbor Freight's website: 1650 PSI 1.25 GPM Electric Pressure Washer

I removed the cover and all of the superfluous stuff, leaving just the pump, which is about the size of a football. Here is a photo of the plastic cover.

[DELETED PHOTO]

[DELETED PHOTO]

I ran a pvc pipe from the pump inlet to the edge of the body near the generator tailpipe. I put a standard 3/4 female hose fitting on the end so that I could quickly attach a water supply either from the campground or my own water pump.

[DELETED PHOTO]

The Harbor Freight power washer comes with a 25' power cord. I ran it down an upper frame rail into a bay where I had an outlet. I leave it secured near the outlet when not in use.

Lastly, I went to a local supply house and bought a 50' hose so I could walk around and wash my entire coach. I made a holder for the hose under the hood.

[DELETED PHOTO]

You win the INTERNET for the DAY! That is an awesome idea that shows SERIOUS THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Gordon, we hire the local talent to wash/wax our rig. For the inside, we use a shark power head for the carpets and tile floors. Windows also get waxed and super cleaned using 0000 steel wool. Best of luck.
NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Gordon Dewald said: "We have local fellows do the washing and waxing. A wash is 35 and a wash and hand wax is 3 per foot. Really convenient."

That's a steal, Gordon. Where are you located, I'll come there for cleaning alone.
We are in Yuma, AZ.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I find about 2 out 3 campgrounds allow washing, except in California and maybe Washington, due to the drought. When not available, I do what "FIRE UP" does and wash it where I can with a power washer.

Recently, I took a cheap Harbor Freight power washer and disassembled it. Here it is on Harbor Freight's website: 1650 PSI 1.25 GPM Electric Pressure Washer

I love people that are not afraid to think outside the box... I like your Idea Don. Very nice!

Randy W
Old 03-26-2016, 11:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
We do some ugly winter driving, and it gets filthy. I look for a Blue Beacon at a truck stop when it gets filthy. Other than that, my attitude is that its going to get dirty again, so unless it is pretty bad I leave it.
I'm with you. We no longer drive in snow or slush, but occasionally hit some rain. The last thing I want to do is waste my time washing a motor home just because it's a little dirty. If convenient, I will stop at a Blue Beacon and have a cup of coffee while they clean it.

Tags
travel