Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #1

keeping your RV plugged up.

How long can I my Allegro Breeze be plugged in on 30 amps keeping the batteries maintained without damaging them? I fried my batteries on a Class B RV after not being able to check on it for 3 months due to surgery.
Mrpictureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:13 AM   #2

All I can tell you is plugged in all the time. The only time it's not plug in is when were on the highway
frank48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #3

KZ RV Club
We keep our Country Coach plugged in all the time on the advise of the factory people . . .
Old 12-16-2011, 06:50 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same thing here. Just keep an eye on the water level in the batteries.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mrpictureman,
Check to see if your coach has a smart charger. A smart charger will have a "float" charging capability. If not, consider purchasing a portable smart charger. You could turn off the coach charger and let the portable smart charger maintain the batteries when the coach is in storage.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our Bounder is plugged in all the time. I have a smart charger and check the water level once a month.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends a lot on the type of converter/charger you have. Most modern ones will maintain without overcharging. We keep ours plugged in all year, on the road or at home but I do check the batteries at least at 2 month intervals.

One year old batteries now and I still have not had to add water.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Be sure that you have a smart charger on the converter or you will fry the batteries. Still you need to check the battery water level every two months.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest you call Tiffin service at (256) 356-0261 with your VIN number. They will be able to tell what kind of charger you have in your Breeze and best answer the question as it pertains to your particular coach.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #10

Triple E Owners Club
I suppose it depends on the type of charger your coach has. My 06 Winne Aspect was plugged in all the time when home for 6 years (20 amp service) and had sat for as long as a year (DW illness) with no noticeable damage to the batts. I left them on also. I leave my now 05 Itasca Meridian plugged in too (especially to run space heaters) and I occasional monitor the battery minder and rarely do I see any current going into the batts. So I assume they are being floated when needed otherwise they are just sitting there at 100%. Some chargers do not float the batts, just on or full charge which can cause excessive gassing. Batts are not designed to just sit and proper charging is a must, so sitting for long periods of time can take a toll but not much choice. Even disconnecting them does not help much as they will self discharge over time. There is a ton of information here and on the web about how to charge and maintain your batts. First thing to find out is what kind of charger do you have and how it operates. I would hope the charger on your rig is much better then on a B class RV.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I keep my coach plugged in 24/7, unless I'm driving it. I am under the impression that most modern RV's charging systems are smart enough not to damage the batteries when plugged into shore power. Make sure you check the water levels in the batteries occasionally, else they will be damaged. I check mine monthly.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suggest that you call Tiffin service at (256) 356-8661 with your VIN number. They can tell you what kind of charger you have on your Breeze and answer your question. Some Breezes come an inverter/charger, some do not.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #13

Duplicate thread - This thread needs to be closed and post answers on his original thread @ http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/keeping-your-rv-plugged-up-110603.html
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The answer depends on your converter, Some converters, say a Progressive Dynamics 9200 series, You can leave it plugged in several YEARS without worrying too much about killing the batteries provided you check and add distilled water as needed (Assumes flooded wet cells, which is what that is designed to charge)

Other units... Like the Magnetek 6300,,,, Depends on how much charge is in the batteries,, Once full, unplug swiftly.

Odds are the older RV had an older, single stage, converter like the Magnetek.

The new one is more likely to have a modern 3-stage like the Progessive Dynamics Intella power WITH charge wizard (like the 9200)