Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #1

Keyless Entry Systems

Hello All

I have a 05 Travel Supreme Select, It has a Essex Key less entry system
the series is a 1601 sensing key pad. I have had three on this coach all have failed ! the key fobs cont to work however the keypad outside the coach fails. Does anyone have any insight into replacement systems that
can replace this current one. What units are on the Newmar ? or others.

Thanks in Advance

Coconut
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #2

I called Essex about the same problem and they admit that they had a problems with the outside keypads and have since "fixed" the problem BUT it will cost us almost $200 to get a new and improved keypad from them. I looked into getting a different system but it is cheaper to get the new and improved keypad at our expense.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I called Essex also and after talking with them about their product, I suggested they go over to Ford and see what they are using and why it works so well on my truck and then tell me why their keypad is worthless on the coach. I'm not sure I buy the "new and improved" version.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #4

Called John At Essex Tech service, Nice Guy walked me through trouble shooting the system, The keypad has since been updated he say they have
test in progress with >5000 cycles in hi and low temp setting.

the key pads have a 3 year warranty so I am sending him the old one and will be getting the updated one NO longer 1600 series.

Will post more as this gets resolved.

Coconut
Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Coconut, any indication on how much it will cost? Will it be an exact form fit replacement?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I updated from 1600 series to 1700 series in March of 2009 at a cost of $49 plus shipping. The new 1700 failed in Dec of 2010 and was replaced at no charge. Had to ship the failed unit and have John verify the failure which they did and shipped a new unit. Apparently they had some problems with the new units during the initial 20 months of production . The 1700 is NOT a direct replacement as it is larger and required use of a dremwl tool to enlarge the opening. Wiring was the same.
Warranty is 3 years from date of manufacture which is printed on the back of each unit.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote