Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #1

Killing my Chassis Batteries

New to the motorhome world and bought a used 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 4905. After a couple of perfect trips, I put it in storage with the chassis battery switch turned off. Two weeks later, the batteries were so drained they wouldn't turn the engine over, the generator wouldn't start and they couldn't be recharged. Put in new batteries and, two weeks later, same thing. Arghhh!!

Generator starts with the switch in the off position.

So, I have five sets of wires attached directly to the battery terminals. No idea (YET) what they go to, but they must go to something that is draining the batteries.

Any thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I dealt with this for several months, now I am in storage indoor with power so no longer issue. BUT, back when it was stored outside w/o power I had same issue. At first I had the chassis batteries (2 6 volts in mine) going dead with switch off, but even with switch off certain items still function, i.e. gas detector, co detector and likely some others. What I did after several low battery situations was to disconnect cable when in storage on the house bank. Chassis batter was same, there are apparently drains somewhere, I put knife switch on terminal of chassis battery and opened it whenever in storage. No ill effects from doing this on either chassis or house battery after many months like that.

Hope it helps

Welcome aboard, you will find a lot of help here as I have over the years

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwilson View Post
New to the motorhome world and bought a used 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 4905. After a couple of perfect trips, I put it in storage with the chassis battery switch turned off. Two weeks later, the batteries were so drained they wouldn't turn the engine over, the generator wouldn't start and they couldn't be recharged. Put in new batteries and, two weeks later, same thing. Arghhh!!

So, I have five sets of wires attached directly to the battery terminals. No idea (YET) what they go to, but they must go to something that is draining the batteries.

Any thoughts.
So you are saying that the chassis battery is dead but the generator will not start either, sounds like all of them are dead. Generator should start off the house batteries, not sure what switch you are talking about being off but genny starting. Are the wires going to all batteries or just the chassis? Need some more detailed information here to try and figure out your problem.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You need to separate the potential problem areas. If you are loosing both banks you should also verify that your solenoid is not blown. Then you can focus on each set of batteries. I just went through this and had to install a cutoff switch on the chassis side. On an older unit you should make certain that the connections to the tow socket (which is usually wired directly to the battery) hasn't shorted. Another set of common drains are: refrigerator, step motor and mirror heaters. Please check that your inverter is working properly, the onboard circuit breaker hasn't popped and it is providing a charge to the house bank.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
sbwilson, you may want to look at this post on National owners forum, someone there getting lot of response to same issue.
iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > National RV Owner's Forum - National 2006 Dolphin
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #6

Thanks, and some clarification.

Appreciate all the quick and informative responses. When I say "chassis" I'm talking about my two engine cranking batteries, not the four house batteries. New 12 volt, 950 cold cranking amp (CCA) batteries were down to a little over 100 CCA. And overnight trickle charge brought them up to 550 CCA and a half day of heavy charging brought them both up to a little over 900 CCA. Reinstalled the batteries and it started like a champ. Upon closer inspection of the battery wiring, it appears there are 8 or 9 different sets of wires that are attached directly to the positive posts of the two batteries. I think the cutout switch in the engine compartment only disconnects the starter. Since the coach is used (14 years old) there is no telling what has been added and why. For the short term, I will be disconnecting the two batteries at the positive terminals. I've emailed Newmar tech support to see if an original wiring diagram is available but haven't received a response yet. Some methodical investigation and circuit tracing is in order.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Could be a leaking diode in the alternator. That's always a possibility and it does happen.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Any thoughts.
I think you have a 4095 rather than a 4905. Is the rig stored inside so the roof solar panel is shaded? It's supposed to help keep the batteries charged but might not be enough.
We always kept our 2002 DSDP 4090 plugged in when stored so never had a problem unless the dealer had it which they did at times.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:40 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrachmael View Post
You need to separate the potential problem areas. If you are loosing both banks you should also verify that your solenoid is not blown. Then you can focus on each set of batteries. I just went through this and had to install a cutoff switch on the chassis side. On an older unit you should make certain that the connections to the tow socket (which is usually wired directly to the battery) hasn't shorted. Another set of common drains are: refrigerator, step motor and mirror heaters. Please check that your inverter is working properly, the onboard circuit breaker hasn't popped and it is providing a charge to the house bank.
Newmar doesn't connect the charge wire to the towing plug, they leave that for the owner if they need it. I did ours myself.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:38 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Since this is a new to you unit, the PO may have hooked something up that isn't turning off when the key is off. We brought out new to us motor home to the house and I turned off the ignition key and everything in the coach and still had live video screens on a satellite radio receiver, a GPS and some kind of pandora box that integrated all the audio--radio, TV, and DVD.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Appreciate all the quick and informative responses. When I say "chassis" I'm talking about my two engine cranking batteries, not the four house batteries. New 12 volt, 950 cold cranking amp (CCA) batteries were down to a little over 100 CCA. And overnight trickle charge brought them up to 550 CCA and a half day of heavy charging brought them both up to a little over 900 CCA. Reinstalled the batteries and it started like a champ. Upon closer inspection of the battery wiring, it appears there are 8 or 9 different sets of wires that are attached directly to the positive posts of the two batteries. I think the cutout switch in the engine compartment only disconnects the starter. Since the coach is used (14 years old) there is no telling what has been added and why. For the short term, I will be disconnecting the two batteries at the positive terminals. I've emailed Newmar tech support to see if an original wiring diagram is available but haven't received a response yet. Some methodical investigation and circuit tracing is in order.
Assuming you have a Spartan chassis, call them instead of Newmar. Newmar can help with the House Electrical but what you are dealing with is chassis.
They will need the last six digits of your VIN to look up your coach. I have called them a number of times for drawings and they were Very Helpful.

You are correct in assuming the disconnect switches do not disconnect everything. There are things like the ECM etc that are still powered. The only way to completely isolate the batteries is to remove, or disconnect the Negative Battery cable.
Always remove the Negative Cable first to avoid any sparks which can be dangerous. Suggest you take a few photos of your battery connections for future reference. There are a number of posts that are looking for help after removing cables.

Tags
batteries, chassis