Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do Norcold 1200s really use 450watts? Thats pretty high for a fridge, even for an absorbtion cycle unit.
Actually even more - 660 watts of 120vac and another 43 watts of 12vdc. In warm weather a 1200 will run continuously all day and much of the night as well.

The OP's Dometic Side-by-side is a slightly smaller fridge so probably a bit less. but not a lot.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #16
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
When I put a shunt; load or a 2watt Light bulb in series with the Plug I can see what I am Drawing.. And when I plug in my laptop with the battery in it and it trips the breaker; I know what it is drawing. And I do get upset when someone tells me what it should be drawing... This I know, What it should draw.. The point is Every plug in appliance has some internal resistance; as does a battery . It may be in the mllie, or nanno Watt, But there is a resistance/load on the master cercuit;; Life is good and I do not want to dissagree with anyone,, as someone once said, The facts,, just the facts..

You may indeed have a problem here. If you have a laptop powersupply that is tripping a breaker and drawing better than 3 amps continuous of 120V power (not inrush but continuous) then the powersuply is defective and may be downright dangerous. Suspect at that rate of heat generation its going to melt and die in short order anyway. 360 watts is A LOT of heat for a small brick switchng power supply and laptop cooling fan to dissipate. Point is, if its really using 360w continuous, something is very wrong with it.

38ft 2008 Damon Daybreak 3575 (forward kitchen)on Ford 22,000lb chasis, 242" WB.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #17
Laptop should NOT draw 360 watts

Originally Posted by bachler View Post
All electric Appliances have what is called internal resistance. when they are plugged in they draw, As I recall, My laptop computer converter has a near 3 amps = 360 watt draw,. I was supprised at some of the things that draw even my Shaver, The wife says keep it plugged in. I say OK:: Life is good.
As jcthorne mentioned, any laptop drawing 360 watts is EXTREMELY dangerous. Do not plug it in again. However, I'm guessing that you saw the output current specifications. Most laptop power bricks supply perhaps 3-6 amps at between 10 and 24 volts (usually) for a total power output of about 60 to 120 watts depending on the size of the laptop.

I apologize for the lecture, but electricity can be hazardous if you don't know what you are doing. I did not understand what you were trying to do with the 2 watt light bulb, but a "shunt" (by definition) is NOT in series - rather, a shunt is always a parallel circuit (which is NOT the correct way to measure current on an unknown load).

I strongly recommend that you use one of the third party devices to automatically and safely insert an ammeter in series with the device you are measuring.

Toolguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote