Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

kilowatt usage

We have a 2009 Monaco Camelot and have used 658 KW in a month and have NOT used any air conditioners or dryer. This is 200 kw more than my sister used in her 2000 sq feet house... Is there any way to check and find out WHAT amount of kw is NORMAL?? OR what would be using the most??
Hydrohot, electric water heater, refrigerator, inverter, or what else would be drawing a lot of kws??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #2

I'd say you are in the ballpark. I just checked the last 5 months and we used on average 600--some higher, some lower. We are in a 40' with a washer/dryer and ran the AC some. There is a device called Kill-A-Watt that will measure each thing that plugs in inside your RV.

You can change the usage on your RV by only turning on your electric hot water heater when you are going to need hot water. Your inverter won't be turned on if you are plugged into shore power. (Although it may have a charger for your batteries.)

And your sister's house may be newer and have terrific insulation (that you don't have) and really energy efficient appliances.

Good luck on your quest to cut down on power usage.

TedToo

Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are referring to being plugged into shore power correct? Seems high to me. Do you know how to read an electric meter. Maybe the person who reads the meter for the campground read it incorrectly.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
For 5 to 6 winter months in Florida I used.....

2006-2007 Avg 610 kwh per month
2007-2008 Avg 653 kwh per month
2008-2009 Avg 735 kwh per month
2009-2010 Avg 713 kwh per month
2010-2011 Avg 650 kwh per month

My average for these 5 winters was 672 kwh per month.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I bet your refrigerator is taking nearly half of that electricity. Our 12 cf Norcold is rated to draw 660 watts/hour. Assuming it is running 75% of the time, that would account for around 12,000 watts per day or 360 kwh/month. If you have one of these, try switching it to propane for a few days and see how your electrical consumption drops. We were staying at a friend's house last summer and I was shocked at how much the refer draws.

Right now we are staying at a park for a month. We are charged for the electricity we use, so I have been tracking the usage. With the refrigerator and water heater on electricity and both A/Cs (13.5K & 15K) on about 2-5 hours/day (its hot here) we are using 40-50 kwh per day. I have tracked our usage at other parks and our usage with the refer & water heater on electricity and no A/C usage. IIRC our usage in those instances has been in the 20-25K range/day or about what you are seeing.

Bill
Old 07-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The refrigerator doesnt run all the time and the KWH usage is not all that high but is a significant contributor to the electricity used .
With little AC use and no electric heater or electric water heater use we will use about 300 to 325 KWH per month. Two people in a 35 foot motor home.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'll add to my previous post that we use our water heater on electric and heat with our basement Comfort Air heat pump.

When running the water heater draws ~1500 watts, the Comfort AC unit draws 2563 watts when heating and the Norcold 1200 draws 456 watts.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #8

Thanks for all the information. I do read the electric meter every month. So that is correct. Was just wondering if the Inverter, when in sleep mode, still draws electric. What about the phone charger being plugged in all the time. It shouldn't draw anything, I wouldn't think. We do have a Dometic side by side refrig with ice maker.
Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
The refer is a huge draw. It mounts to about half of my monthly bill if I leave it running on electric.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My bets would be on the refrigerator and water heater. Both can be significant draws. For water you can bring down the usage by only turning on the heater when you need it (e.g. before showering). For the refrigerator you can bring that down by switching it to propane. The Kill-A-Watt that Tedtoo mentioned is a useful little device.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
All electric Appliances have what is called internal resistance. when they are plugged in they draw, As I recall, My laptop computer converter has a near 3 amps = 360 watt draw,. I was supprised at some of the things that draw even my Shaver, The wife says keep it plugged in. I say OK:: Life is good.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #12

Sorry but your laptop does not use 360 watts. Look at the power supply. The rated full load capacity is shown. For most laptops its 90 to 120 watts. And that is FULL LOAD, standby power should be less than 10 watts.

120watts for an hour is approx 0.1 kwh or 2.8kwh per day if it ran full load for a full day.

Do Norcold 1200s really use 450watts? Thats pretty high for a fridge, even for an absorbtion cycle unit.

As for the OP, I sure wish my S&B house could get buy on 600kwh a month. For June we were at 2400 and july will be worse. Its HOT in Houston.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Assuming your running your hydrohot on electricity that could be your high draw. We spent the winter in Mesa with temperatures in the low 30s for a lot more nights than we wanted. Used electric heaters (plus a little from the propane furnace) for heat, used our w/d almost every day, water heater on electric as well as fridge, etc. and monthly use was about 630 KW for the cold months, March it was 400 KW when the temperatures warmed up. Insulation in motorhomes aren't nearly what they are in houses, so in cold or hot weather, it takes more energy.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
When I put a shunt; load or a 2watt Light bulb in series with the Plug I can see what I am Drawing.. And when I plug in my laptop with the battery in it and it trips the breaker; I know what it is drawing. And I do get upset when someone tells me what it should be drawing... This I know, What it should draw.. The point is Every plug in appliance has some internal resistance; as does a battery . It may be in the mllie, or nanno Watt, But there is a resistance/load on the master cercuit;; Life is good and I do not want to dissagree with anyone,, as someone once said, The facts,, just the facts..